The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Longchamp Racecourse – Arc Day

Home Forums Horse Racing Longchamp Racecourse – Arc Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    andyccfc
    • Total Posts 123

Has anyone ever been to Arc day at Longchamp? Im going this year, although im yet to buy my ticket and was wondering how far it is from Paris, is it any good etc, dress code and all that? Its a day after my birthday and im already excited even though its 8 months away! My attentions should probably be on Cheltenham but i cant go to Gold Cup Friday this year so i need something to look forward to!

theGoingStick
    • Total Posts 7

I’ve been to arc day and it’s a really good day out, to get to the racecourse you take the metro and they lay on a special bus service from the station to the course. I can’t remember the name of the station off the top of my head, but details of how to get to the racecourse are printed in the racingpost the day before the arc. I bought tickets beforehand (online) and they cost roughly 5 euros each.

I know that they were thinking of re-developing Longchamp, I’m not 100% sure but it could be this year !!!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I think we had a thread on this last year………………try using the search facility at the top of the page.

Colin

andyccfc
    • Total Posts 123

cheers Colin, ive searched but couldnt find anything!

5 Euros for a ticket? Ive looked around and they are going for £33 on ticket websites for the General Enclosure? Where and when would be the best time to get tickets?

As for the refurb, ive not heard anything about it until now. Dosnt mention it on the website and if they are selling tickets on ticket websites for it then im assuming it should be ok?

theGoingStick
    • Total Posts 7

5 Euros for a ticket? Ive looked around and they are going for £33 on ticket websites for the General Enclosure? Where and when would be the best time to get tickets?

http://www.prixarcdetriomphe.com/

This is where I bought my tickets from, I believe this is the official Arc website, It hasn’t been updated for the 2008 race yet and the link to the french ticketing website doesn’t have them up for sale yet. People were buying the tickets on the door when I went there so I don’t think you need to be in any hurry to get them right now, I bought them middle of July from this website.

Oh and racecards are free over there !!!

theGoingStick
    • Total Posts 7

As for the refurb, ive not heard anything about it until now. Dosnt mention it on the website and if they are selling tickets on ticket websites for it then im assuming it should be ok?

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70452

It was mooted around last year, but I can’t find any firm details on it now !!!

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Pretty sure you take the metro to Auteuil and there is a special bus from the racecourse which gets you to Longchamp.

The pre-parade paddock is an incredible sight under those aged, massive trees.

andyccfc
    • Total Posts 123

Im hopeing the plans for a refurb dont affect it anyway. Looking out for ticketing news now but if they are that cheap nearer the time i will wait. I thought £33 looked a bit excessive on a ticket website… :oops:

not sure if it sells out closer to the time or not thats all. 5 EUROS is a bargain though if thats the case!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I won’t risk getting a kicking for spamming by naming the organisation, however when I go to the Arc I go with, arguably, the best known racing trip company.

They have their own enclosure at the course, OK it is about a furlong from the finish, however it is certainly less crowded than the general enclosure. They also provide English commentary over the PA in the enclosure.

The other advantage is the transport is included in the cost, including transfers to the course.

Granted you can almost certainly do it cheaper on a DIY basis, but for a convenient and hassle free way of going I think it is money well spent.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Getting to the track can be a tricky business if you leave it even a fraction late, so I’d recommend booking a Prix de L’Arc De Triomphe travel package. You fly out early on Sunday morning, get picked up from the airport and driven straight to the course, get picked up after the meeting and driven back to the airport, and then fly back the same night (Nicky Henderson, Willie Carson and Clare Balding were on the flight we took).

Of course, if you’re already in France at the time, then that isn’t an option. In which case the Arc website is probably your best port of call.

andyccfc
    • Total Posts 123

I think im going to Paris on the Friday and flying back after the racing in the evening or maybe on the Monday morning. Not sure yet. Going with the missus. I have to trape around the sights and the shops with her if she comes to the racing! A decent compromise i rekon! :)

Cheers for the help though, just a case of waiting for ticket news in a few months. I wonder how it will compare to something like Derby day at Epsom?

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Andy,

Just buy your tickets at the gate. They cost 8 Euros (£5).

As for getting there, we simply get a taxi from the hotel we’re staying in which is normally by Gare du Nord. Costs about €30 but as that’s between four it works out to about a fiver each and is still cheaper than getting a taxi in London!.

A couple of points though if you do, make sure to get out a mile or so from the course and walk the rest of the way because as with Cheltenham the final mile can take ages by car and I’d also advise doing this about an hour early – at least.

Lee

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

The France Galop website diary has meetings going on at Longchamp all season. (bar the usual break for Deauville).

So, if there’s a refurb, it’ll either be something they can work around for most of the season or the calendar is wrong.

I’m thinking about going to the Arc this year. It’ll be my first time, though I’ve been to the course many times.

If I go, I expect I’ll take my usual route to the course: metro to La Defence – tramway to Suresnes – walk down the hill.

If there are enough people going from TRF (and staying over for the 2 days), I may suggest a meet up.

Steve

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The two day comment from Steve is a good one – if there for the weekend go racing on the Saturday as well.

There is good quality racing and the course is much less crowded, giving the first timer an excellent opportunity to get their bearings and find their way around in comfort.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

My one and only trip to Arc weekend was with Paul’s "best known racing trip" outfit and they were thoroughly well organised: Eurostar from Waterloo (St Pancras now), a choice of hotels to suit your budget, transfers to and from the course by coach and optional stable visits in the morning

Saturday was open collar, Sunday was mandatory collar and tie

Saturday was pretty quiet hence an ideal opportunity to have a good wander around

http://www.horseracingabroad.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.