The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

London National 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion London National 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

Potentially nice line up here, but double bookings all over the place……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/54/sandown/2020-12-05/770625

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/back-and-lay-london-national-handicap-chase/winner

The pair who catch my eye here, both have alternative options at the weekend. I’d love to see Give Me A Copper come here instead of The Becher, and I’m holding out hope he does.

I also really like the outsider of the field, the old boy Regal Flow. His last run here won’t have done his chances any harm. He’s got an entry here on Friday, which obviously gives me a problem. He’s 40’s though, and that is tempting. Part of me thinks that they’re building him up for one last go here in The Veterans Final, and he’s certainly on my radar for that. He’s 5lbs lower here than his excellent second in last season’s Veteran’s Final. I’ll have an early risky bet though, as 40’s looks too big, for all it’s risky.

I’d have the Hemmings pair as big dangers, and Cloudy Glen looks a worthy favourite.

Regal Flow 40’s EW

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4836

This event has suffered a bit because of the clash with the Becher Chase and it’s down to 7 runners. However they are 7 decent staying chasers all with at least respectable recent form.

The top one Cloudy Glen won very well at Fontwell but has a big rating rise to contend with. Might be progressive enough to kick on in this one but plenty short enough at 13/8-6/4.

My selection is CLASSIC BEN, a course winner over three miles last year who came a decent second first time up this season in a very competitive staying chase at Exeter. Distance should be no problem as he wasn’t far away over 3m 4f at Haydock earlier this year. Was made favourite when falling in the voided renewal of this contest last year, but that was his only jumping blip and he’s rarely been out of contention in his races. Best priced 7/2 looks reasonable in a smallish field.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2563

Can anyone confirm that the weights for the Welsh National are already out, and the result of this won’t affect that?

If it won’t, I hope Cloudy Glen romps home.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

Weights are out.

I think it’s a 4lb penalty for a win after the weights are framed, but not 100%

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2563

Ok cheers VTC. May not be soft enough for him tomorrow looking at the forecast.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

It of a disappointing turnout , I can see classic Ben running a big race but I’ll side with crosspark , only 3lbs higher than his 2nd in Scot national , he finished in front of cloth cap giving him 8lbs on good ground that day, I think he’s a very fair price

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 528

I’ll go for Doing Fine at 6/1. He ‘won’ this last year as the infamous void race. Won at Cheltenham a few weeks later. Was beaten a few weeks ago by Cloudy Glen, but including the jockey taking some weight off he is now 19 pounds better off.

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1295

Very disappointing turnout. I’ll back Crosspark and stick him in a forecast with Classic Ben.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2563

I did go for Cloudy Glen in the end for this.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 686

I hope Cloudy Glen wins. I backed him at Fontwell where he was impressive but he is now half the price on a stiffer track. Happy to just watch today.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2563

Wd winners.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

Bugger thought he was going on to win at the 2nd last , plenty placed horse today but no winner yet

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

Well done DBR

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 528

Thanks Venture! WD as well with that 40s EW shot!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

Thanks DBR, chuffed with the old boy there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.