The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lingfield 3.40…

Home Forums Horse Racing Lingfield 3.40…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I was wondering if anyone knows if Richard Hughes was questioned at all regarding his riding of Cusoon in the above race?

Anyone who ventured into the chatroom last night will know I fancied this one to turn over the favourite but, despite having lost a few quid, the ride still looked (objectively) iffy.

The horse has come out toward the rear of the field and has pulled for his head throughout. Hughes has him settled around 3 lengths off the pace but, all of a sudden, pulls the horse right out the back (losing two or three places) and just stands up in the saddle. Rounding the turn he ends up running into the horse on his outside and, only when Mighty has taken 2 lengths out of the field, does Hughes decide ‘I might give the finish a go’.

Predictably he wasn’t all that useful then, either.

Gary Moore had already had 12/1 and 50/1 winners, and Cusoon was well backed (9/4 into 13/8, possibly related to Moore’s other victors) so the performance is all the more ‘confusing’.

Any information, or views from trackside (geographical, rather than TRF member) would be appreciated.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

No rider polarises opinion more than Hughes.<br>I watched yesterday’s race on C4 in between Newbury races with no vested interset.<br>The race was run at a farcical funereal pace and Cusoon, a known hold up horse, was fighting for its head . There was then the predictable bunching on this tight AW circuit which might explain Cusoon being shuffled back. Race then turned into a sprint by which time the winner had flown. Winner on a sequence, was getting lots of weight of Cusoon and still looks well h’capped- connections reckon it will go in again next time and thus get in the winter Derby. <br>The way the race was run certainly didn’t suit Cusoon and all Hughes could have done was be closer at the final bend but I don’t think it affected the result as the winner had some in hand.<br>Cusoon often ridden by another hold up jockey in George Baker- he too gets plenty of criticism as does Timmy Murphy over jumps.<br>In many cases this is unfair- I’ve seen plenty of bad rides off the front but they don’t attract the same level of criticism as punters reckon the horse was given a chance. That said there are plenty of brickbats aimed at Paddy Brennan and Daryl Jacob for their rides on Ashley Brook and The Listener yesterday.

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I don’t think it was the Hughes ride that was iffy, but the whole race was just unsatisifactory (no pace, messy). Even at the entry stage there was nothing in that would have made the running at a decent pace.

I was hoping to back Cusoon as well. He broke the track record at this distance a month or so back carrying exactly the same weight, Mighty has run well at Lingfield, but not up to that standard yet.

There was an argument to say, as the fastest horse in the race, they should have made the running with him & tested Mighty. I suppose they were scared they would just set up the race for Mighty if they did. Once the tactics were decided, & they decided to hold him up as usual, & then there was predictably no pace, he was going to be in trouble. As soon as Mighty got first run on him off a very slow pace, he wasn’t going to get back. To a lesser extent, the same thing happened to Cusoon last week when Very Wise got first run on him.

He is a bit awkward as well, he developing a habit of hanging when he’s under pressure, & he may be difficult during the race?<br>Imo he’s still worth persevering with, he’s not brilliantly handicapped, but he is fast. He just needs to get into a fast run race, preferably without too many unexposed types in it.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Two weeks ago, I put up Cusoon to get the better of the improving Mighty at Lingfield, much to the confusion of the TRF members in the chat room at the time. Having watched the horse come a fast finishing second, I noted (on the forum) the abismal, and slightly dubious, efforts of Richard Hughes.

Today, Cusoon came up against Mighty again and, whilst 9lb better off for 2l, has proceeded to annihilate his previous conqueror.

Granted, the overall winning margin isn’t anything to shout about, but he turned for home cruising and has beaten a horse he (visually) lost easily to last time out ridiculously well.

Now, I can feel a little self-satisfied having replenished by betting funds after last time’s dismal display (and proved, almost, that I wasn’t talking complete sh*te a fortnight ago), but I would hope Hughes’s ride is now looked into by the HRA. I can’t see it happening, but you never know.

I can also feel a little smug with Punjabi’s victory, having told Grass’ to back it for the Triumph (aftertiming I know, but I don’t much care :biggrin: ).

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I don’t think anyone in the chatroom was ‘confused’ LGR. I seem to recall we simply thought he’d struggle to give the weight away to the improving Mighty – as proved to be the case.

I don’t think there was anything ‘dubious’ about Hughes’s ride either. You could argue that it wasn’t his finest ride but, as I recall, he struggled to get the horse to settle and could, consequently, never put him where he wanted to in the race.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from LetsGetRacing on 4:06 pm on Feb. 24, 2007[br]<br>Today, Cusoon came up against Mighty again and, whilst 9lb better off for 2l, has proceeded to annihilate his previous conqueror.<br>

Annihilated? Are you sure. Mighty was only beaten 2 lengths. More a case of reversing the form in a manner he was fully entitled to do at the revised weights.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Easy to take a pop at hold up riders like Hughes and Baker.<br>Last time out at Lingfield the race was run at a farcical , funereal pace with Cusoon fighting for its head as Hughes tried to settle it. It ran on for second but the winner Mighty had flown. <br>Today it was again anchored in the last pair by Baker but got the run of the race, hitting the front in the straight and just holding on by a short head.<br>As stated, there was a substantial revision of the respective weights today and the result could have been expected. 2 lengths is hardly "annihilation".<br>Cusoon strikes me as quirky anyway.<br>Nothing too much wrong with Hughes’s 32% strike rate (19 winners) on the AW to date this season

Jim JTSJim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

LGR’s your post is starting to look a bit silly now as I also agree with Cormack, David and Lingfield but I can see why you are happy as your selection gained revenge today on 9lbs better terms (no surprise to be honest) even though Cusoon was suited to the faster pace today and also got first run, Mighty also had to run wide so it all fell into place for Cusoon.

"annihilation" is a bit far fetched to be honest and if Blue Bajan had got a gap sooner you wouldn’t have had a winner atall but I suppose that’s neither here nor there as Cusoon got the verdict by short head.

I imagine you are a little excited. :biggrin:

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Clearly not everyone thought the form would be reversed if you look at the SPs!

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

If the reported race time of 2m 01.79 is right, Cusoon has knocked another 0.4 seconds off the 10f course record at Lingfield. He did have a really good quality pacemaker in Party Boss today though.

It will be the second time he lowered the course record in a couple of months. I think the record had previously stood for five or six years. That’s a real feat by Cusoon when you consider the amount of races they run over 10f (including decent ones like the Winter Derby & the Churchill Stakes).

Come the Winter Derby itself, he could still be vunerable to the likes of Blue Bajan or Sri Diamond, or his own hold-up style.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Colin

Although I’m not a clocker, I suspect Cusoon’s record times owe more than a little to the currrent ‘fast’ nature of the surface. <br>Most of the better 10f races at Lingfield aren’t run in the depths of a long wet spell and, good horse though he is, I can see him not lasting home in the classier races on the normal summer surface.

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I don’t know for certain Reet, & tbh I don’t really understand enough about the tightening of the track in wet weather? to really comment. (if that’s the thoery?)

I do know Cusoon can produce very fast times over this trip, and has shown it on more than one occasion (which makes a judgement about him more reilable).

The other good horses in yesterdays race had the oppourtunity to run as fast, but could not, the exception maybe being Blue Bajan.

When Cusoon has run fast races, the times have tended to be relatively quicker than other races on the same card. (that’s not an exact science, due to pace of race, quality of horses etc), but it does suggests to me he deserves a great deal credit for being a fast horse.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.