The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lexus 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Lexus 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The front two could race to beat each other and then an outsider could steal it and who better than ED.

Would that happen, bearing in mind both are from the same stable?

That is why I still remain to be convinced they will actually go head to head in the Gold Cup.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I don’t have any doubts about Kauto Stars stamina personally, I’ve never seen even the remotest sign of him beginning to empty.

I can’t help think that the faster they go at Cheltenham the more it will suit Kauto he’ll pull his way to the front two or three out and if anything is good enough to lead him to the last it’ll be just that – a lead, Kauto’s turn of foot will do the rest.

• Total Posts 500

BTW, does todays performance mean Simon Rowlands has to eat his hat and if so, will it be screened by RUK???

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Quite content with that run from Denman, his jumping particularly sound. As others have pointed out the shape and pace of the race was not conducive to an impressive win. The steady pace actually more-or-less answered a question mark I had about Denman following his Hennessy win: whether he was destined to be a sluggard who needs a stern test on soft ground to wear down others less stamina laden, or whether he does possess a change of gear he can utilise in less demanding circumstances. Happily the latter would seem apparent, as when asked for an effort by Walsh he did seem to pick up pretty well.

If he’s to have just the one more run before the GC I’d prefer it to be in the Cotswold (Pillar) Chase rather than the Aon.

The anticpation of him up against KS and ED remains mouth-watering.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

BTW, does todays performance mean Simon Rowlands has to eat his hat and if so, will it be screened by RUK???

?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

If you think Barber and Findlay are going to lay down the chance to win a Gold Cup simply because Nicholls has another horse in the race, then you’re on the verge of being committed :D The only reason this would conceivably happen is if Nicholls makes it clear that Kauto Star can’t be beaten.

As for today’s performance, you’d have to be happy rather than disappointed. Denman wasn’t as flashy in victory as Kauto Star on Wednesday, but it was a race not run to suit, he jumped impeccably and, Mossbank aside, the form stands up pretty well (I did knock The Listener after winning last time, but the subsequent exploits of Mansony give the run a pretty solid look). I remain fairly confident that, had The Listener set a decent pace, Denman would not have been troubled in winning by a considerably bigger margin.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Looking at The Listener he doesn’t really get three miles fully does he? I think he’s a better horse at around 2 1/2 – 2 3/4 miles.

• Total Posts 500

?

http://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing … rse-i.html

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

I don’t think he said he would eat his hat if the horse didn’t run to 180 every time it graced a racecourse.

Given the way the race was run, it was probably impossible for any horse to run to 180 today – you dont pull 30 lengths clear of good horses off a slow gallop.

• Total Posts 500

I think he’s been a bit crafty TDK

If Denman is not a 180-horse or very nearly a 180-horse I will eat my hat (one of those cheap paper Christmas ones, just to be on the safe side).

No time limit, in fact, no rules to it at all , except for the above

• Total Posts 500

double post

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I have Denman running to almost the same mark as in the Hennessy – 176.

Its a very high standard but still leaves him some four pounds behind Exotic Dancer at his best and so obviously a bit further behind Kauto Star.

Its fantastic – there are so many 170 plus staying chasers around at the moment I can’t remember the division being so strong.

Maybe I’ve been a bit harsh on The Listener as he’s still run to a mark of around 172.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I don’t think he said he would eat his hat if the horse didn’t run to 180 every time it graced a racecourse.

Given the way the race was run, it was probably impossible for any horse to run to 180 today – you dont pull 30 lengths clear of good horses off a slow gallop.

I agree. It wouldn’t be unfair, however, to point out this year’s Hennessy is looking more and more like a weak renewal.

Don’t get me wrong. I really like Denman but I think he’s too short in the Gold Cup market.

• Total Posts 2440

What do we take from Mossbank’s performance there? ? ?

Ran a decent race.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ran a decent race.

Mossbank is clearly an improving sort, but RPR have him advanced by 25lbs today, which takes some swallowing?
    Apart from the fact that he has shown he can quicken off a slow pace, we learned little new about Denman today. He still has yet to show he can run and jump at the speed that would be required in normal Gold Cup.
    Hard to believe, whatever the pace, that the 3 horses close behind him today would have got within hailing distance of Kauto Star or Exotic Dancer.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Ran a decent race.

His best performance. He’s an improving youngster.

Its difficult not to raise him in ratings as State Of Play ran to his usual late 150’s mark, Denman to his Hennesy mark, and The Listener / Beef Or Salmon to the marks they ran to over three miles in Ireland last season.

They can’t all have run well below their best yet finished almost to the pound where you’d expect them too surely?

Looks a pretty easy race to rate.

Beeswing
    • Total Posts 80

I would have been pretty unhappy with Ruby if I had backed Denman today – set far too slow a pace, and was open to attack from a horse with speed.

Having said that, I can understand why he set the pace he did – obviously didnt want to give him too hard a race. He’s a good horse, but I cant see him beating KS unless he gets both soft/heavy ground and a guaranteed fast pace, and even then I would make KS just favourite in a match race. 7/4 Denman for the GC is a crazy price.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.