The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lexus 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Lexus 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Think people are underating QDLR and he come on a bundle for his first run this season, he’s a sound jumper, stays very well on all ground, Rubi is viaually more impressive but I don’t think there’s much between them, hence Rubi is the bet at current odds.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Reet, do you think that was Quito De La Roque’s true running :?:

Yes, THM.
    Don’t be fooled by his better ground form against poor opposition, the horse took all day to get on top in the best hurdle he ran in, a hvy ground 3m race at Fairyhouse, and again lacked the pace to catch the classy Boston’s Angel in a 3m hvy ground chase at Leopardstown (both times he was most definitely fit). No surprise he had the same problem against the best field he’s faced at Down Royal recently, and little doubt he’ll be the same in the Lexus, unless the ground is bottomless.
    Those touting him as a Gold Cup prospect might also care to remember that he missed last season’s RSA – because the ground wasn’t considered soft enough.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

You’re as entitled to your opinion as I am Reet, but he did not miss the RSA ‘because the ground wasn’t soft enough’ as you say. He missed it because Colm Murphy thought he was not yet ready for such a challenge. The ground may have been a contributing factor, as was the undulating track, but it was more a case of him being too raw an animal to send over at that stage. Anyway, he’s since shown he handles all types of ground. Whatever he does in the Lexus, I’ve no doubt he’s still improving. It’s obvious he’s a late developing sort, and whatever he did over hurdles was an education. Chasing is his game.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Aye, THM, you pays your money and you takes your chance, but expecting a horse to morph from sluggard to machine in the space of a single outing isn’t the way I’d choose.
    Certainly couldn’t think of a single Gold Cup winner who’d been anywhere near as slow on his seasonal debut – unprepared or not.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

Reet,
    Master Oats beat Party Politics in the 1994 Rehearsal Chase (3 miles on soft) by 4 lengths, getting 3 lbs from the Aintree National winner. In a time over 62 seconds slower than Racing Post stamdard. That is pretty slow. :wink:

Quito is proven on good ground at Aintree (wasn’t much softer at Punchestown). There’s no reason why he should not be effective over a furlong and a half further around a stiffer course like Cheltenham.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Reet,
    Master Oats beat Party Politics in the 1994 Rehearsal Chase (3 miles on soft) by 4 lengths, getting 3 lbs from the Aintree National winner. In a time over 62 seconds slower than Racing Post stamdard. That is pretty slow. :wink:

……and his form for that race reads:

"led 11th, quickened clear 3 out, ridden and ran on strongly when challenged flat"

Do try and keep up, Ginger. :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

Most horses can "quicken clear" of an Aintree Grand National winner Reet. :lol:

Over 62 seconds slow not slow enough for you then? :roll:

Quito De La Roque last time was 32.8 seconds slow. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ginger
    Are you really that stupid?

• Total Posts 1533

Of course he is but your dafter than him if it took you this long to realise it :lol:

HGM, why on earth is their respective last runs the only races you should be looking at? :shock: Qiuto De La Roque wasn’t near fit, and it was a testament to his heart that he kept going to pick up the pieces. He mightn’t be the quickest horse in the world but he was off the bridle a mile out over 3 miles on heavy ground. He’s not that slow! :lol: If you take his last run as Quito De La Roque’s true merit then you’re in for a shock. He’s a much better animal than that. He was blatantly off colour that day, looked a shadow of the horse that mopped up novice chases last year. Whether he’ll beat Rubi Light is another matter but he won’t be far off him :wink:

I was a bit hasty there. You know how annoyed I get, it’s that fookin mad cows decease I caught from Denny Crane :lol:

What I should have said the furthest you should look back where Rubi is concerned is his last run. I just feel he’s improved no end this season and is a much much better horse.

Quito did some mopping up last season. He actually reminds me of one of those mop people you see at international airports who ar so slow it looks like they take one step forward and 2 backwards so they can keep themselves in a job.

Davey Russell was to thank at Aintree, how he held the horse together to win was nothing short of brilliant.

The race however told a tale. Golan Way was clearly beaten as was Wayward Prince. Normally when 2 go on to fight out a finish the beaten horses more times than not lose ground rapidly but in this case they never lost a yard because the front two were plodding like a couple of Clydesdales.

Takes more than a plodding grinder to win a Lexus and I wouldn’t back him with your money tbh.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Had another look at Quito’s novice season; they are all on ATR apart from his win at Aintree. Can’t say they were visually impressive, and he looks a bit of a slogger. But he kept winning, and kept improving.
    Rubi Light looks faster, but will he stay?
    Both are French-bred, so their breeding doesn’t give me any clues. Can anyone help?

The trip is no concern for QDLR but is for Rubi Light, who’s far from certain to stay ( related to Sprinter Sacre, Saint Are ). Dam doesn’t appear to be a good source of stamina.
    Personally think he’ll be caught in the straight, but these 3 mile chases in Ireland can often be slow run affairs.

I will say this – QDLR won last time when not spot on. Has surely improved since then

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

Takes more than a plodding grinder to win a Lexus and I wouldn’t back him with your money tbh.

In the Lexus Quito raced against a couple of faster animals, Sizing Europe and The Nightingale, both with excellent form at shorter distances. Therefore, it was always going to be on the cards he’d be "outpaced" at some stage, before staying on strongly at the finish. In the same way, if Quito is to beat Rubi, it will be staying power that does it. "Stamina" is an equal, if not greater asset in a

strongly

run race, than "speed". Particularly on soft ground.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

In the Lexus Quito raced against a couple of faster animals, Sizing Europe and The Nightingale, both with excellent form at shorter distances. Therefore, it was always going to be on the cards he’d be "outpaced" at some stage, before staying on strongly at the finish. In the same way, if Quito is to beat Rubi, it will be staying power that does it. "Stamina" is an equal, if not greater asset in a

strongly

run race, than "speed". Particularly on soft ground.

He was also outpaced by confirmed stayers such as Bostons Angel and Midnight Chase, until one fell and the other disappointed. That was also on the cards, to those who’d read his previous form properly
    No matter how you try to dress it up, QDLR is slow, and always will be.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The likes of Loosen My Load and Head Of The Posse, who aren’t short of pace, couldn’t live with Quito at Punchestown. And he had them beaten off before stamina came into the equation.

I’d be surprised and a bit disappointed if either Quito or Rubi Light don’t win this. The tactics could be crucial in a battle of stamina vs speed.

• Total Posts 1533

When Rubi Light wins the Gold Cup I reckon this stamina thing might become less of a concern :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Exactly HGM! He’s almost certain to get the 3 miles, but some very good horses have tied up that Leopardstown hill in the past. Hopefully it’ll be a cracking race. Joncol is a pretty good yardstick so should give us an idea of how good the Irish staying chasers.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Most horses can "quicken clear" of an Aintree Grand National winner Reet. :lol:

Over 62 seconds slow not slow enough for you then? :roll:

Quito De La Roque last time was 32.8 seconds slow. :wink:

I’d much rather listen to Jack Van Berg.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The form of the Aintree race wasn’t done much good with the runs of Wayward Prince, Sarando and Golan Way today :?

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.