The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Leicester tomorow

Home Forums Horse Racing Leicester tomorow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 523

Wow what a poor card tomorrow. Highest rated horse just 60.
    I know some people like this kind of racing but 8 races all the same. Not for me.

TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1201

Hoping they will cancel anyway. Racing doesn’t need another load of “Covid-spreading sport” headlines just before the Derby weekend

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 306

No stalls, so flag starts. (Handful of stall handlers keeping a safe distance behind the rails).
    Huge potential safety issues and farcical racing.
    Questionable as to why this meeting was not called off after last night’s lockdown decision.
    Huge advantage to jockeys who can get their horses to face the right way at the line up. Horses missing the start and jockeys who can start smart dominating. False starts and William Carson being seen to good effect in the first two races.

seaing starsseaing stars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Yes, maybe it should have been called off yesterday.

An enquiry was held into the circumstances involving the non-arrival at the racecourse of all but four members of the Stalls Handler team. […] Having considered the evidence, the Stewards directed under BHAGI 10.1 that the starting stalls would not be in operation throughout the meeting, with all races instead begun by ‘Flip’ start, and a report was forwarded to the Head Office of the British Horseracing Authority for further consideration.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4396

The decision to race was presumably done with the best of intentions but the BHA do have a tendency to over-think things at times. It should have been called off as soon as the Leicester lockdown was announced, but not sure what had to be taken into consideration, so that’s an opinion ‘from afar’.

Jockeys with experience in Jersey would enjoy themselves this evening.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

I can’t see any reason, other than ‘how it looks to the public’ for calling off the meeting. The lockdown in Leicester yesterday was no different to the lockdown of the entire country when racing restarted on June 1st.

Every race meeting staged since June 1st has been severely controlled, to the extent that anybody with a temperature higher than normal is excluded from entering the course and their horse withdrawn. Do they do that at your local supermarket?

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5092

Unless the plan is for a ‘Siege of Leicester’ with no one permitted to leave or enter the city then there is no reason to cancel the meeting because, as pointed out above, if racing was permitted under national lockdown then why not under a local lockdown

It irks somewhat to say it but all credit to the BHA for organising such a well-planned and well-executed racing programme. From what I can judge from the goggler the precautions to mitigate virus transmission seem to be exemplary with facemasks as de rigueur as trilbies, and social distancing scrupulously obeyed

Compare and contrast with the public-at-large now and the looming spectre of ‘bread and circuses’ this coming Saturday

Looking forward to my local track York’s first meeting on July 9th, particularly how they intend to police the Knavesmire. With any luck I’ll be permitted to wander round the track between all starting gates

An unexpected compliment: well done Messrs Rust & Co :good:

seaing starsseaing stars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

The difference for me is that Leicester has been branded (rightly or wrongly) a Covid-19 hotspot and that will affect whether people (such as stalls handlers, trainers and other staff not based locally) want to travel there.

I would not want the stalls staff to feel they had to attend, in order to have the stalls operated safely, if they weren’t comfortable with the risk as they perceived it (as, clearly, some weren’t).

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

The 157 entries for the next Leicester meeting on Tuesday 7th suggest that the general view in racing is that it’s safe to go ahead. It’s not as if anybody travelling to the course is going to be mixing with any of the local population.

One of those entries is from a trainer that withdrew his runners yesterday for safety reasons.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4396

In the grand scheme of things the matter hardly raised a ripple news wise. Some racing people getting their knickers in a twist on Twitter but presumably most people had more important things to worry about.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.