Ladweb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Finally we are back in the game after a frustrating 2013 that saw Frank retired.
    Kate (whose colours he ran in) has him in his retirement.

We’ve gone back to one of our old yards and secured a 50% lease on Ladweb,a lightly raced 4 year old sprinter with John Gallagher.

Ran 12 times so far and has won once (at Windsor) and been placed on five occasions so should be the ideal horse for us to have some fun with.

Will be ready to run back end of the all weather season but will be mainly campaigned on turf when there is a bit of cut.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8767

Good luck with him GD

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Runs on Monday at Kempton

trendyrichtrendyrich
    Participant
    • Total Posts 617

Out of interest, what do you see as the differences between leasing a horse and syndication or part ownership? By that I am not talking about the obvious differences e.g. leasing is not owning etc. What I am curious about is how much of a say (if any) you have on the racing plans, training of the horse.

With ownership you can sell, what is the situation with leasing, is it a case of mutual consent if you no longer wish to lease the horse? In a syndicate you pay for a share in a horse over a period, e.g. 2 years, is leasing a horse pretty much the same?

I would appreciate knowing a bit more, if there is already a thread explaining all this then I have yet to come across it and apologise if you’ve already responded to something like this.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Apologies for not replying.

As stated earlier we have leased 50% of Ladweb for the coming season.
    All being well we’ll look at whether it is viable to continue in due course.

The obvious benefits are that we take that 50% without have to shell out the cost of actually buying our 50%.

If we could afford to buy that 50% then we probably would have done but we don’t have the money to do so.
    We still get the same prize money as we would if we owned the 50% and the same other ownership benefits (like badges for instance).

The downside is that if the owner felt that they needed to sell for whatever reason then there would be nothing we could do about it as it is their horse.
    However if we had been able to buy the share and he turned out to be no good (fortunately as we saw this evening at Brighton that isn’t the case) it would be a struggle to get back much or indeed any of the outlay of buying the share when sent to the sales.
    We had the scenario a few years back with Celeritas who was sent by his breeder to the sales after the lease ended at the end of his two year career even though we’d love to have kept him as he had some respectable form.
    We couldn’t afford to buy him and he ended up in Italy where he did very well.

As far as plans for the horse (which is what you really asked about) we have always left that up to the trainer,it is what they are paid for and at the end of the day we trust their judgement.
    Of course there are owners out there who want to and do have more of a say,it’s not to say we won’t make suggestions of where to go and so on but its’ not really how we go about things.
    Transport costs mean at our level long journeys can only be considered if you are confident of your chances of at least getting some or all of that cost back in prize money.
    Once you take off the various costs today (transport,jockey fees,VAT which can be claimed back etc….) then there isn’t a huge profit to take back with you.

So the old adage of not expecting to get back much return on your investment is very true unless you are very lucky.

Personally I don’t bet so that side of things is irrelevant from my point of view.

If you have an eight runner race and all eight trainers are confident of their chances of winning then unless there’s a dead heat seven will be wrong.

trendyrichtrendyrich
    Participant
    • Total Posts 617

Thank you for your response. I would imagine that the last furlong felt like it lasted a lot longer than it did in reality judging by the comments in the Racing Post. Ladweb managed to hold on and win a nice handicap and I would imagine that’s farewell to Class 5 0-70 races for a little while, hopefully for you and the rest of your syndicate, a very long while.

I know exactly what it feels like to see "your" horse in front with others closing in as the line gets nearer, it’s a fantastic feeling when that winning post is finally reached and your horse is still in front.

I will have to keep an eye out now for Ladweb to see if he appears in my Big Handicaps system selections (see thread of that name in the Systems section).

Good luck !

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

All being well he’ll run at Nottingham on Tuesday.

We also have an ickle share in Galactic Herione,due to make her racecourse debut at Newcastle on the same day.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Well pleased with that especially as conditions would not have suited.

Filly ran well,she could be ok.

Exciting times ahead.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Landed the hat-trick today off a big weight.

Genuinely don’t know what is left in the tank but whatever happens we’ve had a good season.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Weather permitting will go for the four timer at Salisbury on Sunday.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Ground went too quick at Salisbury so we’ll hope conditions are suitable at Leicester tomorrow night.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Ground was too quick for him at Leicester but at least he picked up a bit more prize money.

However our fourth winner of the year was to come at Doncaster on Friday as Galactic Heroine showed herself to be a filly of some promise when winning a reasonable maiden.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Both Ladweb and Galactic Heroine could run at Goodwood on Saturday.

trendyrichtrendyrich
    Participant
    • Total Posts 617

I just saw the race at Sandown that Ladweb finished second in, do you still lease him ? If so, that was a good run and you must be chuffed. :)

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1871

Indeed we are well chuffed,considering it is just about the first time he has had his conditions this season and that he got a hefty bump from Judge and Jury it has to go down as a very good effort.

We are in discussions about continuing with him next season and fingers crossed we can sort that out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.