The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kingman

Home Forums Horse Racing Kingman

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Couldn’t have been more impressive. If he’s in that form at Newmarket it is going to take a machine to beat him.

Far more so than James Willoughby who is doing my head in. Yes James we get it about sectional times but please, please, please stop banging on about it.

• Total Posts 336

Agree looked very strong, but think a lot of horses underperformed in that race. A 80/1 horse finished strongly in 3rd. Gosden seems to be ahead of most trainers at present. But I am just putting forward minor arguments against what looks a big future potential.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Agree looked very strong, but think a lot of horses underperformed in that race. A 80/1 horse finished strongly in 3rd. Gosden seems to be ahead of most trainers at present. But I am just putting forward minor arguments against what looks a big future potential.

I would tend to agree with you. I backed Astaire he ran well but didn’t really seem to get home. Berkshire ran no race and to me has always looked a middle distance type in any case and this test was always going to be too sharp. Night Of Thunder and Lat Hawill are listed and a maiden winner respctively, the third horse has had plenty of racing and is far from top class and most of the field failed to settle.

Having said that, Kingman did everything right and won as easily as he liked, will be suited by another furlong and his chief Guineas rival Australia is bred for twelve furlongs. You can get 3/1 Kingman for the Guineas. If it were absolutely certain he’d line up that must be a good price but with Gosden hedging his bets and being far from committed about sending him to Newmarket if the ground is "too" fast it’s not a bet for me. If he hacks up it’s one of those where you’ll look back and think the 3/1 was buying money. If only we were blessed with hindsight. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

If Gosden doesn’t run Kingman in the guineas then he will need sectioning.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Never look forward to the flat, with the jumps season finishing. But its performances like these that certainly keep my interest up. Although tend to agree that the race may not be as strong as first seemed.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I backed Kingman earlier in the week at 9/1 and predicted he would be less than 4/1 tonight. He’ll be in the Guineas all right and Gosden is just being his usual pessimistic self.

Aiden O’Brien has had a modest start with his colts this year and I’ll eat my hat if Australia can match Kingman for speed.

Hannon got an idea of what he’s up against today and Toormore will have to be special next week to shake my belief that Kingman is a ready made 2000 Guineas winner barring accident.

Best price Kingman is now 2/1 and I’d take that if I weren’t already on at bigger. I think he should probably be odds on now and you have got to ask yourself how Australia can come to Newmarket and win on his seasonal debut against a horse who is almost certain to come on for his run today and who looked strongly as if he will improve for the step up to 1 mile.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

I thought on paddock inspection Kingman would come on for the run. Heard 3/1 was available after the race. :( 7/4 best price now, seems fair. I was mightily impressed. The man from Ballydoyle’s "best ever" will struggle to beat the King. The Australia’n Triple Crown seems miles away. May be they won’t be so nervours about defeating Triple Crown chances with their own horse and let War Command run? Or will their Wonder Horse get a small problem that rules him out of Newmarket altogether?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Gosden’s yard is red hot at the moment they may be further forward then most at this stage of the season, that’s not to knock the horse but first race of the season form has to be taken with a pinch of salt and pepper, if he improves for the run will be hard to beat on guineas day but we will be saying similar on Thursday after Toormore hacks up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

Kingman has had an operation to remove a bone chip in his ankle and Gosden clearly doesn’t want to risk it on fast ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Yep a hugely exciting performance in an important race, but can you see it anywhere on the internet without logging into some pox ridden bookmaker site??

As usual, British Racing closed down after 5pm and on weekends.

:roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Kingman has had an operation to remove a bone chip in his ankle and Gosden clearly doesn’t want to risk it on fast ground.

Gosden – Cough, cough, hint, hint ‘have Newmarket turned the taps on yet’.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Gosden – Cough, cough, hint, hint ‘have Newmarket turned the taps on yet’.

Yes, I don’t agree with that sort of thing but clearly Gosden was talking indirectly to the clerk of the course.

I would suggest it is huge odds against him not turning up at Newmarket.

I certainly hope so as ante-post punters don’t want another kick in the teeth after the O’Brien nonsense surrounding War Command.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

A striking performance from Kingman … strung out the 2nd and 3rd in Frankel style. Thought Night Of Thunder might have put up more of a battle but then Kingman looked like a superstar as he shot through the gears. James Doyle looking between his legs as he passed the winning post sent out the message of a jockey who knows he’s riding something extraordinary.

As for the ground, Kingman has won on Gd/Fm and acted on it soundly from what I could see. I feel that Mr Gosden could be playing it a bit over-cautious and because of this, I hope the horse doesn’t get campaigned too lightly.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Kingman is a horse who has already had a number of well-documented problems, so you’d have to be doubtful whether he could go through his career unbeaten.

I expect Kingman to be more Canford Cliffs than Frankel. But let’s face it, you wouldn’t turn down a Canford Cliffs would you?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Cav,

You can find a (not very good) replay here without any bookie interference or any need to register or pay a subscription. Not sure how long this link stays up though:

http://www.racinguk.com/results/meeting/14237

Click on ‘Watch it’ not full replay. It’s the last half mile approx, but it shows the important bit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Thank you, AP. 8)

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Very impressive from kingman although it does seem as a few either didn’t stay or run their race. We will get a better idea of the guineas after the trials but kingman definitely deserves to be favourite. It does seem as if 3yo colts aren’t up to speed yet so would stter clear of them in the guineas although it wouldn’t surprise me if australia bolted up as his last run last year was stunning and to me marked him out as a potential champion, but whether he will be at a mile remains to be seen. War command to me looks the best bet but as he seems unlikely to run then I think ill just watch the race. If there is big support for Australia on guineas day then expect a big run.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.