The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kingman

Home Forums Horse Racing Kingman

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

How good was this horse by Invincible Spirit at Newmarket today? 14/1 for next years Guineas might be a bit tight for a maiden winner but considering most of Gosden horses have been running backwards that was some run.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

A very impressive run and, apparently, a surprise for connections as well.

Not totally sure what it beat but six lengths clear of the runner who was, in turn, five clear of the remainder is impressive by most standards.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

How good was this horse by Invincible Spirit at Newmarket today? 14/1 for next years Guineas might be a bit tight for a maiden winner but considering most of Gosden horses have been running backwards that was some run.

When you are looking for a potential Superstar you want to see an impressive winner of a maiden,Newmarket is always a good starter.Its nice to see the horse fall out the stalls and overcome that inconvenience by cutting through the field,its also a bonus to see the prospective ‘superstar’ look green and immature.

Kingman

ticks all those boxes Nath but he’s a typical ‘Invincible spirit’ short and close coupled,he looks more like an ‘Oasis Dream’ than a ‘Frankel’ to look at and worse of all he’s trained by John ‘I cant get one ready for a Guineas Gosden’………Shame as he’s a real nice prospect! 14/1 for the 2000gns is 6 points too short for this judge.

thebairn
    • Total Posts 72

Good time too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Undeniably impressive today, I’d be surprised if Kingman is not at least Group class. Form might be difficult to assess but the time looks very good without being absolutely outstanding for a debutant, but can also add a bit for winning so easily (not all out). However, looking for negatives…

Surprised to hear Gosden talking about the Racing Post as more of a target than Dewhurst. Although it’s encouraging Kingman won over 7f today and should (only "should") get a mile next year, it is not certain he’ll get much further than today’s 7f – especially this year. Settled well but many by Invincible Spirits don’t get as far as their dam. Zenda best at a mile but was half-sister to Oasis Dream. Interviewed afterwards, Gosden seemed reluctant to run him many times and the Doncaster race possibly a prefered option purely because of ground concerns. To my eyes viewing head on, Kingman showed a slightly splayed action today that may not be as effective on firmer and/or more susceptible to injury. Kingman has some way to emulate the current 2000 Guineas favourite’s form. Even the now 7/1 War Command (imo) looks better value than 14/1 Kingman at this stage.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Dam won the French Guineas and was second in the Coronation but has produced nothing of any note until now.
    I’d actually take some enouragement from that because horses like that often foal only one real star and this could be it.

Guineas price is a joke, mind.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Very impressive win but the fav ran pretty poorly and not much seemed fancied with rank outsiders filling the minor places.

14/1 is poor value for a trainer who has never won the 2000 Guineas and there is a long way to go till next May. He makes no appeal to me at this stage and I would say 25/1 would be more like it after netting a 3 grand maiden.

Gosden had another promising sort in GM Hopkins, who was only a nose behind Chesham winner Berkshire on his debut when 4th to Richard Hannon’s Championship at Newbury. He went off 7/4 fav next time at Newmarket and was beaten nearly 30 lengths behind Jallota, so it might pay not to get too carried away with Kingman yet.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Lavenham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12

The dam has also produced remote. Not sure it could have been a surprise to connections as the whole of Newmarket seemed to be tipping the horse before the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I forgot about Remote !

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The dam has also produced remote. Not sure it could have been a surprise to connections as the whole of Newmarket seemed to be tipping the horse before the race.

It was a surprise to the extent he ran better than they expected

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

It was a surprise to the extent he ran

better than they expected

Or,

Kingman ran better than they

said

was expected.

Could be either.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

Here is how I rated Kingman…

The speed figure of

that

Kingman

achieved on his 7f debut at Newmarket on the 29th June puts him just

1lb

behind

War Command’s

impressive speed figure of

when winning the

Coventry Stakes

over 6f.

When

Frankel

made his debut over 8f at Newmarket as a 2yo, he achieved a speed figure of

and compare that against

Dawn Approach’s

debut speed figure of

at the Curragh.

When

Penny’s Picnic

earned a speed figure of

over 5f at Chantilly on only his 2nd start I got excited, he went on to win both a group 2 and group 1 contests.

My Top ten 2yo’s:
    Ascot 20-Jun-13 No Nay Never (USA) 4/1

Ascot 18-Jun-13 Extortionist (IRE) 16/1

Ascot 18-Jun-13 Supplicant 20/1

Ascot 18-Jun-13 Anticipated (IRE) 4/1F

Ascot 18-Jun-13 Fountain Of Youth (IRE) 7/1

Ascot 20-Jun-13 Coach House (IRE) 9/4F

Ascot 18-Jun-13 War Command (USA) 20/1

Ascot 18-Jun-13 My Catch (IRE) 12/1

Newmarket (July) 29-Jun-13 Kingman 11/4

Ascot 19-Jun-13 Rizeena (IRE) 6/1

Complete list: http://tinyurl.com/7vstzt4

As James Willoughby would say "The figures never Lie".

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Nice to see you back TBB. :D

Value Is Everything
    HorseWithNoName
    • Total Posts 51

TBB,

That exact same post was read out on ATR by Jason Weaver today.

It’s nice to put a name to the face so to speak :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Just watched this race for the first time a hour or so ago and have to say, I’m well impressed by Kingman. The manner of his victory reminded me of Frankel’s success in the Frank Whittle Partnership stakes (would’ve Farhh been beaten around 6 lengths if he’d have contested in it? LOL).

I tried to clock Kingman’s last 2 furlongs and came up with 22.92 seconds … though camera angles and track width on video never makes hand timing that easy!

Nevertheless, considering the ease of his win, I think it was a fine performance from a serious horse. I’m quietly excited!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Not totally sure what it beat but six lengths clear of the runner who was, in turn, five clear of the remainder is impressive by most standards.

Both 2nd (Adhwaa) and 3rd (Sea The Skies) have now won :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Whooosh.
    Must be favourite for the guineas after that.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.