The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

Laddies have gone 2/1 now too. :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

On a sound surface I’d have Conduit and Tartan Bearer quite a bit closer in my 100% book. The latter’s below par run in the Irish Derby (soft surface) means I’ll have to wait. Tartan Bearer could yet improve at 12f.

Conduit deserves to be favourite, do like him and 2/1 is fair value. But there is better value elsewhere. Yet to run 12 furlongs or more this season, but equally yet to show his best form this term either. Soft going would be no problem.

Don’t see why Look Here is 8/1. She is no 10f horse and considering the hold up tactics in a slowly run race; did not do too badly last time. Ignore that run and she should be quite a bit shorter. Stable in good form too. Leger run suggests a soft surface will not inconvenience. Possibly needed the race first time when faltering close home.

Ask is over priced too. If someone else trained the first and second favs, he’d be a lot shorter. As it is, third string puts a lot of punters off. Coronation Cup form does look a bit suspicious. Youmzain failing to go through with his effort and Look Here’s reappearance. But even so a double figure price looks tempting.

One I can’thave at the price is Golden Sword, suppose it’s just because he’s O’Brien’s first string. Does anyone think Fame And Glory would win this by over 5 lengths? (The amount he was beaten at the Curragh). Seems exposed at just below top class.

Surprised they kept Frozen Fire in training. Showed signs of temperament in 08 and needs to improve on even that. Now has the dreaded Timeform squiggle which will put quite a few breeders off. Seems a right dog on his 09 starts.

Alwaary is surely a better proposition at a similar price, is improving but needs to. Would have been second to Doctor Fremantle but for being hampered.

Scintillo and Rockhampton can be forgotten about.

You’d think a fast run race would be won by one of the Ballymacol horses or Look Here. So it will be interesting to see what Coolmore do with the pacemaker.

Value Is Everything
    blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

can golden sword run any other way than forcing the pace?.

• Total Posts 1511

Are people forgeting the 12lb i think that Golden Sword gets of the Jolie yet there is only 6lb between them on BHA Rating.

5/1 is huge

blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

no. it’s just the way he runs his races, and the draw,track and everything else playing to conduit’s strengths. golden sword will finish second or third. i cannot see three coming over the top of him. imo that is. :P

• Total Posts 1415

Golden Sword isn’t getting any weight its weight for age, big difference. Three year olds that aren’t out of the top drawer don’t win King George’s as a rule.

Golden Sword is too short IMO as is Look Here. Ask and Frozen Fire too big.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Frozen Fire didn’t get the Leger trip, was fighting a sprint at Chester and was front running in The Coronation he as excuses imo.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Ask you have to say is a huge price, odds compilers have confused me here, and is only 10-12’s cause of the disregard for the horse by Moore who seemed to have only two horses he wanted to ride. Look Here at 7.5 form wise makes no sense to me and I will have to back Ask for the price alone, he is worth it. The negative is Moore said he probably is too slow against his stablemates to beat them and especially on the drying ground and people say its a poor renewal but the presence of Conduit and Tartan Bearer was enough for Cumani to re-routww.

I think Moore is really bricking it, the Leger must bring bad memories for him, escpeially now he has said his favourite horse ever is Tartan Bearer, he will be gutted if he takes the win since he has put all the work in, but he has made the right decision, as Johnny Murtagh shows, you just have to go with the formbook even if he does show high ability, Tartan Bearer is proven to be very lazy in his races where as Conduit is more genuine and will give his all. Moore mustn’t have been best pleased with the plan to run both Ballymacoll horses.

On a side note, last year there was a story on Conduit, his mare died while foaling him and it made him pretty weak, when he grew up and started to mix with other colts Tartan Bearer bullied him to the point he had to move with the younger horses.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

On a side note, last year there was a story on Conduit, his mare died while foaling him and it made him pretty weak, when he grew up and started to mix with other colts Tartan Bearer bullied him to the point he had to move with the younger horses.

It’s Denman v Kauto all over again!

I don’t know for sure, but is TB not a equine midget?

Conduit probably has none of it these days :twisted:

• Total Posts 1982

I wasn’t aware of the story involving Conduit and Tartan Bearer.

Here’s a link to an article from The Independent. What a sweet photo of Conduit and Patkai.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/raci … 91136.html

This sort of thing is natural in an equine social hierarchy, but I do hope Conduit boots his backside into another country this afternoon!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Thanks for the link that story is quite lovely and the sort of thing that racing needs to gain more outside interest [my ‘not nterestedinracingatall ‘daughter was quite fascinated by New Approach’s antics of last season, she’d love this one]. Has put me in a dilemma, however with Tartan Bearer being my favourite horse of last season. From now on it’ll be a case of c’mon Conduit! Sorry to see in the same article, however that Commanche Court has died from colic [the worst thing that can happen to horse imo].

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:17 am Post subject:

——————————————————————————–

Thanks for the link that story is quite lovely and the sort of thing that racing needs to gain more outside interest [my ‘not nterestedinracingatall ‘daughter was quite fascinated by New Approach’s antics of last season, she’d love this one]. Has put me in a dilemma, however with Tartan Bearer being my favourite horse of last season. From now on it’ll be a case of c’mon Conduit! Sorry to see in the same article, however that Commanche Court has died from colic [the worst thing that can happen to horse imo].

We have a horse that had colic, almost died. We had to nurse him back to full health bit by bit. Aiming him at the Galway Hurdle next year, he’s not a bad horse either. Fell at the last when winning his point to point before coming second next time out. Afterwards we discovered he had severe bruising on his hip from the fall, so it was a cracking run to come second.

Anyway, hope Conduit wins!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Hope Ballydoyle get the tactics right this time. Golden Sword is not a 1m2f horse and if anything needs a stronger pace more than the Stoute runners. Something similar to the Irish Derby should see him in the three and give him every chance of winning.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Well done Stoutey ! 1- 2 – 3 8)

Conduit was always the one. No convoluted waffle, just plain logical.

That Sea The Stars must be some horse, eh Fists ?! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Obviously that hope was in vain. If you buy the theory that is how good Golden Sword is you make Alwaary near enough this year’s Derby winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Don’t really see how a Leger winner’s run over 1m 2f can be used to support the Eclipse form tbh.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’d be surprised if any other ten furlong race is run that quickly this season, Zarkava, so I think it’s a perfectly legitimate angle to appraise the Eclipse.

Sea The Stars, and even Rip Van Winkle, are top drawer.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.