The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

In the same interview he clearly said the bump effected him in the race (and said in other quotes to have come back very sore and very stiff from the Irish Derby) and also said his best trip is 1m4f.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

There may be a doubt about Ask’s participation.

Reportedly pulled up a bit short on the gallops.

Colin

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Moore opts to ride Conduit.

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Surprise surprise :lol: I think that’s the 3rd time in 3 days he said he was going to.

And tomorrows headlines in the racing post:

"Moore may change his mind if it snows"

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Anyone know what the Ballydoyle riding arrangements are?

I’m going to have a throw away fiver on Frozen Fire. I think he wants to go right handed and needs a stiff galloping track. The race will in my opinion be run at a decent clip and that can only help him. His pedigree backs that up.

Everyone knows he is a monkey but if everything falls right for him, which it looks like it could, he could look a decent price on saturday evening.

• Total Posts 1415

Aragorn I think Frozen Fire could be a fly in the ointment here. Everyone has suddenly written him off, that could be dangerous and the race may be run to suit.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Ask, reportedly OK, stepped on a stone, intended runner.

Colin

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Johnny Murtagh – Golden Sword
    Seamus Heffernan – Frozen Fire
    Colm O’Donoghue – Rockhampton

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Conduit has the best form, dual G1 winner of a very good Leger renewal and probably best Leger in years, easily picked off his rivals at Santa Anita ran ok at Sandown but not fantastic, had to be disappointed with the pace that was set, although he should come on for it, Moore had to pick him as he has the G1’s in the bag.

Tartan Bearer comparing his Derby run to the Coronation Cup, he would have beat that lot up by 1-2 length, underrated run in The Derby and Ascot for 1m4f will probably play to his strengths follows an interesting trend that Golan was 2nd and 3rd like Tartan Bearer in his Derby runs before going on to win the Ascot showpiece. Disappointing I thought in the PoW but he didn’t really have the race to suit him.

Golden Sword, very tough and a horse you have to like cause he shows guts, held in high regard it seems at Ballydoyle and will have the pace set up for him and not stablemate Frozen Fire shows who they think is the best horse, but he has had some very hard races, The Curragh race was pretty brutal pace wise so has he recovered to race well here. Deserves success though.

Look Here, starting to get outbattled, don’t think she has reached the heights of her Oaks run, not going to get a fast pace she’d want, although her run at Epsom looked very promising and was pretty remarkable at the time how she never won it, she has to hope the ground comes up very fast, but she is a contender.

Ask , very good value, although Moore disregarded him pretty quick and seemed never in contention to be ridden by him, but having Peslier on board is a huge plus, think he needs soft ground though to have any chance of beating his stablemates and would rather have a strong gallop, he could be pretty vulnerable to a type that could quicken.

Frozen Fire, not the best Irish Derby winner we have seen but his runs he had genuine excuses, surely to be held up this time he would want a fast pace but not even Ballydoyle wont give him that, he doesn’t look the winner.

Alwaary I’m actually a fan of, he could make a good 4 year old next season, and I think he could actually run a big race here, very unlucky last time out. Could spring a place shock.

Scintillo, fair horse but he looks out of his depth here.

Rockhampton, if your name has Rock at Ballydoyle now a days seems your going to be pacemaker.

• Total Posts 638

I am always aching to back a 3yo in the KG, mainly due to some shrewd comments from Lester and other jockeys some years ago.
    The race profile has changed in recent years but not the conditions and I am still attracted to the younger generation. Despite being a fan of Golden Sword and having a profitable season following him…I just don’t like his profile for this. I am not sure about a strong pace, despite the presence of Rockhampton
    The Lingfield Derby trial was regarded as a poor renewal straight after but other than AoA’s moderate run in the Derby the form is growing stronger.
    The KG has a good field in terms of achievement, but without a superstar, and I will have another swing wth Alwaary, who I believe must be improving fast having viewed his recent races and given the change in his stated objectives since the winners enclosure at Goodwood.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Frozen Fire, not the best Irish Derby winner we have seen but his runs he had genuine excuses, surely to be held up this time he would want a fast pace but not even Ballydoyle wont give him that, he doesn’t look the winner.

Ummm?

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my points system

138 golden sword
    137 ask
    136 conduit
    131 tartan bearer
    128 frozen fire
    126 look here
    118 rockhampton
    116 alwaary
    112 scintillo

will back golden sword to win
    and ask ew

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

Rockhampton is unlikely to be able to go hard from the start to the home turn …….. I’d imagine they might try and repeat the tactics used in the Grand Prix De Paris but wind it up a little more slowly in the hope that the pacemaker will take Johnny further.

towerto
    • Total Posts 92

i think that they will go a good galop its the better tactic they can use
    because that tactic will suit golden sword like in the irish derby and will suit frozen fire too
    if they go slow they will ruin frozen fire chances

expect t a nice pace tommorow and no excuses if favourites doesnt win

• Total Posts 1688

Conduit wins for mine. No need to go over old ground about why as everything’s been mentioned in this thread.

I’m expecting a comprehensive victory with something in hand. It’ll confirm what we already know about his top-class status, but it would take a 6-length romp for me to take serious note. (From an Arc perspective, of which I’m unsure if he’s an intended runner?)

The field behind him is uninspiring. I don’t have time for Golden Sword or Frozen Fire as they are not the best 1m4f horses AOB has to offer IMO.

For some value, I’m all over Alwaary @ 16/1. He could have blitzed the Princess of Wales’ field without the heavy interference, and then managed to find his gears again to finish off fast. That would’ve warranted a single-figure quote so I’m taking my chances here E-W.

Wary of Look Here and any market moves for her.

blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

2/1 the fav with paddy p. i’ll have some of that, surely cannot get any bigger.

• Total Posts 1415

2/1 the fav with paddy p. i’ll have some of that, surely cannot get any bigger.

I’d be getting worried that something isn’t quite right if he gets any bigger than that. Its a big price considering he is 13/8 in other places. Have to admit I’ve taken the 2’s as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.