The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Karinga Bay
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

Would be surprised to see Youmzain win. The finishing straight’s simply not long enough for him. You’re effectively backing him for a place at 6/4 and you’ll get a lot better than that in the place market on the day IMO.

Hi Zarkava, Thanks for the response… I was just thinking that the horse has performed so consistently at this level, at the distance, at the course, it is probably going to be in with a decent shout again, whatever else turns up on the day- I don’t think it will be running for place only. Do you?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Just can’t see how he can possibly reel in anything at Ascot when he’s tried and failed twice. I mean he was smashed by Papal Bull ffs.

With a game front-runner like Golden Sword in the field and a potentially class act (still no definitive proof) like Conduit, I’d far rather send Youmzain directly to the Arc.

Karinga Bay
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

Strong pace will surely suit him- if he isn’t as badly away as he was in this last year and obviously has already mixed it with class acts, so Conduit is nothing new. Can’t see him being 10s on the day. (I haven’t cracked the exchanges yet I’m ashamed to say)

• Total Posts 1537

Conduits efforts in the Eclipse just further enhance my opinion that he will win this race. I went back in at 11/4.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Looks like Ballymacoll are going to run Tartan Bearer as well as Conduit.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Have backed Conduit at 3/1 and am interested in 10-1 Golden Sword as soon as he’s confirmed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Should Sea The Stars by – pass the race, Conduit will win.

Yes, it’s that simple. :)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I’m inclined to think that the only proven hot-shot to run in it, instead of the Arc, will be Look Here, and may have been campaigned with that in mind. I wonder.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Looks like Ballymacoll are going to run Tartan Bearer as well as Conduit.

That’s a hard a call to make Red and the only public indication he might send him is he’s in the betting and he’s drfited badly on Betfair 9/1 approx. I wouldn’t want to take an AP price about him as nothing definite has been said.

He’s been working him at home like he intends running him soon so you could be right, but then he’s a horse who seems to thrive on work.

With Glass Harmonium heading for the Great Voltiguer SMS doesn’t really have anything else he can run with a chance in the Juddmonte International and it could be he will run Tartan Bearer in the King George if Sea the Stars doesn’t go and then go to York. You wouldn’t expect he would be given a hard race in the KG with Conduit being the main hope but place money is good.

Personally I think he’s becoming a hard horse to place for SMS with Sea the Stars around which must drive the man nuts.

curragh
    • Total Posts 27

Golden Sword, Yeats, one other and a pacemaker from AOB. Golden Sword isn’t much of a front runner since Chester. I get the impression that he was to set the race up for Masterofthehorse there but, he kept going. At Epsom, he was neither a pacemaker or a real frontrunner, other than the fact he was in front. I know that sounds contradictory but it’s wasn’t much of a pace he set there and in The Irish Derby he never got his nose in front. AOB had pacemakers in that race (Curragh) but surely if Golden Sword was a real front runner he would have been allowed to run in front and try to run the others off their hooves. Maybe we’ll see him in the St. Ledger, cos he stays at least.
    I’d love Yeats to win but I don’t think the ol’ fella will have the speed. Would love to be wrong. Often am, so Yeats could win. :wink:
    Like Himself, and I’m sure many others, I hope StS turns up to prove, once again, that he’s the real deal. He still has his doubters so I guess he still has it to prove for some.
    I don’t think the winner will be Conduit, Youmzain, Ask or CimaDeT. I say this with a little confidence but, of course, depending on who runs, the ground and the colour of my underwear on the day, my opinion may change and I’ll be proven to be a fantasy land dweller or not.

If racing were predictable we’d all be rich.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I might be wrong but I think along with the next stage of declarations there was also a supplementary stage yesterday and Yeats wasn’t entered. O’Brien also said his participation was unlikely.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Of the participants so far;

Sea The Stars if he turns up would be the one they will all chase, but I’d say him taking part would be very unlikely.

The two Ballymacoll horses w/o Sea The Stars look the likely winners, money has come in for Tartan Bearer trying to emulate what his brother did in 2002, although I’d really be surprised if Ryan Moore chose him to Conduit which would be unlikely which means there is a jockey who will get a good spare, Conduit is more a straight foward ride than Tartan Bearer, if he has come on for the Sandown run he will be hard to beat.

Would be nice to see Golden Sword running a huge race to gove Fame And Glory’s form a lift and will be interesting to see how he fares, bar Fame And Glory, Ballydoyle see him as their strongest middle distance typpe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1

I too am a fan of Tartan Bearer, but recently have come to believe that he
    physically a little to small for a race like this.

• Total Posts 638

Quite like Campanologist back at Ascot if its firm at a biggish price (65). Maybe bounced after Hardwicke and I am always suspicious of July Course form.
    As has been remarked he has improved physically this year and with doubts about most at the top of the market he could be a longshot with a chance.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Sea The Stars confirmed as a non runner.

Withnail
    • Total Posts 28

Why is this event being discussed under the ‘big races’ label? Sadly, it’s become an irrelevance and no amount of boosting the prize money will change that situation.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I don’t think there are any superstars in this race, seen as Sea The Stars is declared as a non-runner. Conduit deserves to be favourite, but I just never liked the horse. I think he is over hyped and would rather back his stablemate at the prices. Conduit can’t be out of the 1st 3 though, can he?

Of the rest, Look Here and Youmzain are both interesting @ 8/1, yet Conduit put Look Here in her place last year and Youmzain needs to return to form. Maybe blinkers will do the trick for him.

Golden Sword is a horse I love. I love the way he just bowls along and never stops galloping. If Aidan O’Brien runs a pacemaker (nice to see Rockhampton entered :wink: ) for Golden Sword, which sets a blistering pace, and GS sits maybe 4 lengths away, with a gap of a further 4 lengths to the rest, he just might take pegging back.

GS will be a bit of a sitting duck out in front though, and stablemate Frozen Fire could well be one of those flying home. It’s a very hot race, and I can see any one of six horses winning, but if I was having a bet now I would probably back Golden Sword e/w.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.