The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Killybegs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Was impressed with him today, my first bet of the new flat season and got me off to a flyer.

What chance of making the frame in the Guineas after his Craven win?

I don’t think he’ll be good enough to win it, I think one or two are bound to have a bit too much class for him but I’d like to see him run into a place. I think you can get 20/1 in some places, would that tempt anyone?

I don’t bet each way and I won’t back him to win the Guineas but I’d love to see him run a big race.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Maybe Corm’ should think about adding an ‘Aftertimer of the Month’ award to his four-weekly poll for top post :biggrin:

Killybegs showed the sparkle today which saw him a six-length maiden winner, and in what I think is a generally uninspiring Guineas he could be worth a few quid at 20s.

He’ll improve plenty on today’s run too.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

A bit harsh on Market Man there LGR. I’ve seen a lot worse than that.

Regarding Killybegs – I wouldn’t write him off at all and 20/1 is a reasonable price given that he is likely to have a bit more improvement to come.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

If Sir Percy and Horatio Nelson run in the race, Killybegs hasn’t got a chance of beating them. On a whole the Craven was most unsatisfactory.

Having also shown his hand over course and distance, he is open to less improvement than any of those stepping up in trip.

I’d much rather back Speciosa for the 1000 at a similar price.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Yeah and in fairness, we know now he has gone the right way and its pure guesswork as to how Horation Nelson, George Washington et al. are these days.

SHL

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Have to agree with David, the horse has plenty to find to get close to Sir Percy and Horatio Nelson amongst others.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

EC

Any chance you can elaborate on the merits of his split times in the Craven, what they were and why they read well? Not trying to be a smart arse but haven’t read or heard anyone else making a similar comparison.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Has anyone ELSE got the sectionals for the Craven?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

My reading of them is they show that Killybegs ran each of the last 4 furlongs quicker than anything else in the race.

What looked most interesting to me is that Mulaqat ran the third furlong apparently in 8.83 seconds. Surely this cannot be accurate looking at the other horses sectionals at various furlongs during the race.

EC, you seem to have more knowledge in this area than me, can this be possible or is it incorrect.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

If he can run an 8.5 second split ie. a 17 second quarter provided he can keep that up if required then he’d be off to the US sooner than you can say – champion sprinter.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

EC – it was only on the blink because he was going too fast ;)

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Just back from Ayr and delighted to read EC’s comments as I instinctively took 25/1 Killybegs after the race, more as a trading decision than because I thought he’d win the Guineas- who knows how many of the front ones in the market will actually show up? I still think I may trade out a few days before, but EC may persuade me to keep a decent profit!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.