The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kieran Shoemark

Home Forums Horse Racing Kieran Shoemark

Viewing 12 posts - 52 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Don’t think Shoemark is to keen to sit on another Cheveley Park owned horse. At least not in the near future.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1951

There wasn’t much attention to Ryan Moore riding Laurel at Royal Ascot for Juddmonte when Shoemark was available, coincidentally that was runner up to another Gosden inmate Running Lion for Oisin Murphy.
    With Gosden having plenty of horses with retained jockeys it makes sense that he would bring in someone progressing along nicely to fill the gap. It wouldn’t be a suitable role for a big gun at this stage. He might even be just keeping the seat warm for Benoit De La Sayette, if Gosden thinks he can progress into a stalwart of the yard.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

How much would Shoemark have been slated if he had ridden Inspiral yesterday and she fell out of the stalls exactly like she did with Ryan?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

“There wasn’t much attention to Ryan Moore riding Laurel at Royal Ascot for Juddmonte when Shoemark was available”.

I drew attention to it in this thread. No one in the racing media seemed to think it was noteworthy.

Juddmonte has used Moore before. In previous seasons he rode a few of their horses in big races for the likes of Charlton, Balding etc. It almost looked like they had second claim on him after Coolmore.

He didn’t ride the Gosden horses because there was no way Dertori was going to make way for him. But once Dettori was gone, it was a different story at Royal Ascot this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Gosden might want to consider doing a bit more stalls training before bringing his horses to the races. In the past few days (variety of jockeys):

Cover Up – “ducked left start”
    Fifth Column – “dwelt start”
    Intrinsa – “ducked sharply left start”
    Shader – “slowly away”
    Birkin – “awkward start”

And now Free Wind has had to be retired after injuring herself in the stalls.

Obviously they’re not machines and even the best schooled can play up sometimes but I am sure it’s getting worse and it does look to me like some of them are ill-prepared (and it’s certainly not just Gosden’s horses).

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1314

What did you make of the ride on Arrest in the Group 2 G.P de Deauville today? Soft ground a factor I know and probably wouldn’t have effected result but Kieran set a very slow pace throughout and then arguably went a bit early. Surely needed more than two speeds. Available currently on Equidia Replays

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 816

Very poor ride, I think his days are numbered with the Gosdens. I had no financial interest in the race, he didn’t look like he knew his timings. Having said that, do the Gosdens have any good horses at present?

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

Arrest is a big old slow galloper regardless of what pace a race is run at – Kieran isn’t the first jockey to be made to look like they got the tactics wrong on him so I wouldn’t call it a poor ride personally.

That being said his arrival at the yard has unfortunately coincided with pretty much all of the form of their good standard bearing older horses dropping off significantly along with them having an average 3yr old group of horses this year. Their current S/R is 19% (17% in the last 14 days) whereas over the last 5 seasons it has been at 20-23%.

To say his timing in moving into the stable jockey role was unfortunate would be an understatement.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

I think it’s not only Shoemark. Somehow this season the horses, the Gosdens and the jockeys don’t really click when they should.

It has been a rather mediocre season for the entire team, maybe Frankie’s departure has changed a bit at the yard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

“What did you make of the ride on Arrest in the Group 2 G.P de Deauville today”?

I didn’t have a bet on the race Zilzal, but had I done so would’ve been fuming.

He is on a horse with by far the best form.
    …Who is absolutely fine with front running.
    …That needs a severe test of stamina at 12f in order to be effective.
    …So what does Shoemark do?
    He sets a slowish pace which makes it into more of a test of speed. :wacko:

Not just a bad ride, it was a stupid mistake.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

I’m not sure it was only the slow pace to blame as the German horse beat him fair and square. If you look at his three previous races during this season, you’ll find out that he never was close to the winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Arrest had been second on his previous two starts and neither of them had been on as advantageous ground as this week’s race… And there was nothing of the calibre of Giovellotto or Point Lonsdale in this field, Ruby.

…You might think he was beaten “fair and square” the way the race was run. But the race should not have been run that way. Winner’s previous best performance was at 10f. I’d expect her to outsprint Arrest – who needs a truly run 12f on soft ground to be fully effective, and stays at least 14.5 f.

Anyway, the point is not about whether Arrest would’ve won or not.
    The point is that Shoemark did not maximise his chance of doing so.
    In fact he pretty much minimised his chance of winning by setting a slow pace.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 12 posts - 52 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.