The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kieran Shoemark

Home Forums Horse Racing Kieran Shoemark

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

I think the owners may make the decision. Juddmonte has already made it clear that Moore is first choice if he is available. They would never have jocked off Dettori.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Poor jockey and poor ride, committed far too soon. Wouldn’t want him on anything I was backing.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1314

If it’s not rude to ask did Emily look a little bit big or does she always look big? Just asking :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Maybe Free Wind would not have won but Shoemark gave her no chance settled at the back in a slowly run race.

No pocket talking – I did not have a bet.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1034

I feel a little bit sorry for him as Gosden clearly doesn’t have much ammunition regardless of who is riding. Emily and Inspiral are on the regress. No point sugarcoating it though Detorri to Shoemark is like trading Galopin Des Champs for Galvin. Dettori could win races on horses who weren’t entitled to win or didn’t want to win and I don’t think Shoemark can.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

The Gosden stable haven’t had the best of years. Their three good older fillies all failing to fire. Inspiral, Emily Upjohn and Free Wind.

I had a saver on Free Wind today, but I wouldn’t blame Shoemark for the defeat. She was slowly away on her last two starts for Dettori too and has been held up / dropped out in all her 2023 and 2024 races. Barely stays today’s 14f trip. Similarly positioned at the back in last year’s race, cruising into things and looking booked for second before weakening badly into a poor 4th – palpably didn’t stay the trip on heavy ground… And her asset at 12 to 14f is her speed / turn of foot. So she was always going to be dropped out today whoever rode her. Had the best form but just wasn’t in form. Hadn’t run since a below form 6 lengths second in the Middleton in May which… With all the races missed since – suggests she’s either had a physical problem or has been out of form (ie not showing her old speed on the gallops).

I do think Shoemark should’ve won on Emily Upjohn in Ireland. Positioned her on the outer and was a bit free. Therefore didn’t fight the filly and let her stride to the front – which I can understand to a degree… But went too fast too soon and lost many lengths in the final furlong…
    Then strangely didn’t learn from that Emily experience. It was bloody obvious Opera Singer and Lumiere Rock were being kept wide early because they are both prominent runners. Always going to get in once they were clear of the others. Yet Kieran kept Emily wide and he was always going to be no more than mid-div! And again got stuck three wide without cover and again too free.
    Not saying Emily would’ve won – suspect hadn’t fully recovered from Ireland – but Shoemark just didn’t give her the best chance of winning.

Do wonder whether pressure is getting to Kieran in Group 1 races. But even if not… Truth is he is a not a top jockey.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

“Truth is he is a not a top jockey.”

No, he isn’t. It beggars belief the Gosdens think he is. I wouldn’t put him in the top ten jockeys riding in Britain, maybe not in the top twenty.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Even Gosden said Free Wind was too far back in a slowly run race, that doesn’t bode well for Kieran. Maybe the horse isn’t as good as she once was. I don’t go along with her not staying the distance, one of her best performances was when she hacked up over a bit further in the Park Hill. The ground was to blame for the Lillie Langtry run last year.
    At the end of the day we’re just discussing a very moderate jockey here despite Matt Chapman upping him at every opportunity.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

I suppose it is only fair to point out that Shoemark later went and won on a 40/1 chance! :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2354

Seems the owners of Inspiral are considering a change of jockey for her next run in France.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Not surprising really. Shoemark wasn’t good on her at Royal Ascot and Havlin already has the ride on Audience.

It looks like some owners in Gosden’s yard do not have confidence in Shoemark.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

I suppose it is only fair to point out that Shoemark later went and won on a 40/1 chance! :wacko:

That just rubbed salt in the ointment for me Cork… it does seem that he produces his best rides when the pressure is off.

Yes RTB ..best best news ever :yahoo:
    ‘Inspiral returns to Deauville on Sunday and a new jockey is being considered.’ What’s the betting it’s Robert Havlin, he’s the only one to have ever won on her surely it has to be him.
    Inspiral is a tricky ride and she hasn’t taken to Shoemark. Gosden is running out patience and supplying post race excuses for his beaten fillies ridden by Shoemark,Emily Upjohn and Free Wind being the latest, his disappointment is hard to disguise.
    Was wondering if they might approach Ryan Moore but he’s probably committed elsewhere.
    Come back Frankie you retired a year too soon..all the fillies are feeling jilted :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Moore would be Cheveley Park’s first choice but as you say it depends if he is available.

It is unfortunate for Shoemark but is his position as stable jockey tenable if one of the major owners in the stable clearly has no confidence in him?

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

If someone else rides her and she happens to win or run much better than her first two starts under Shoemaker then that could very well be the first step (or domino to fall) with other owners within the stable, who no doubt will be watching on.

In a way I do feel sorry for him as his timing (in hindsight) couldn’t have been worse, as he arrived at the stable as first jockey that didn’t have any real decent 3 yr olds that were up to competing in the classics and the older horses have massively underperformed (to their best form) this season.

Unfortunate and if this does play a part in him eventually losing the job, the fallout could set him back quite a way with potentially getting another high profile job.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Replacing Shoemark is openly being discussed in the “Racing Post” now:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/he-seems-to-be-riding-with-fear-should-the-gosdens-stick-or-twist-with-kieran-shoemark-as-their-retained-jockey-auCe06v0bv6A/

I agree with this:

“He seems to be riding with fear. On Emily Upjohn and Free Wind last week he looked as if he was trying to stick to a pre-race script, but seldom do things work out that simple. At Goodwood, more than any other racecourse, you have to ride with an element of freedom.”

That is the point. I could understand him ideally wanting to hold up on Free Wind. But to stay in last place when they were obviously crawling was poor tactical riding and condemning his horse to certain defeat. There has to be a Plan B.

Gosden would be better off getting on the phone to Billy Lee, the winning jockey in the same race. I think he is top class and deserves a more high profile job. He is in a different league to Shoemark.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Okay, he isn’t too far away of being replaced. But, who is your jockey of choice for the next 2-3 years. Just using the best available jockey won’t be enough for such a big operation.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Amongst British based jockeys, I would have thought they would go for Murphy. He would give up the Qatar Racing job for Gosden. He rides quite a lot for the stable anyway.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.