The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kieran Shoemark

Home Forums Horse Racing Kieran Shoemark

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

If Gosden is serious about making Shoemark stable jockey, I expect he will want him to do better than he did in the 6pm at Southwell. 5 runner race, allowed himself to get boxed in, let main market rival get first run on him and got beaten by a head.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

It was obviously not Shoemark’s fault yesterday in the Musidora. I doubt Free Wind would ever have beaten Bluestocking today either. He may have gone off a bit too fast in the Dante but he would never have beaten the winner.

Having said all that, I am not convinced he is riding with a lot of confidence at the moment. It is not panic stations but he could do with a decent winner for Gosden.

Participant
    • Total Posts 35

I’m sure Gosden will give him more time to settle, he can’t be expected to fill Dettori’s shoes in just one season. As to whether the owners will be patient is another question.

He just needs to get a few good wins under his belt. Personally, J&T should allow him to ride with his instinct on courses like Southwell, as sometimes instructions add extra pressure.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Maybe Gosden should have made Havlin stable jockey? ;-)

Moody Man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 47

Gosden had been fretting about stall 1 for days – think KS was always going to try to get to the near rail.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

Lets not forget that Dettori had some real shockers for Gosden and some of them were in pretty recent years as well so hopefully it is just a bedding in period and early days.

Although, I have to say that he wasn’t seen to great effect tactically on Inspiral today even given the fact that his biggest rival in the race blew out massively.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

I see that others here too have questions about the wisdom of making him principal jockey to the stable.
    Personally I would have thought Richard Kingscote or Clifford Lee?
    good luck to all

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Following Dettori was going to be difficult for anyone but Shoemark does not exactly boast a Group 1 CV. Maybe it will all come right at Royal Ascot where Gosden usually does well but until then there has to be a question mark. It looks a bit like Daryl Jacob following Ruby Walsh in the Nicholls job.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Can’t see it lasting, he’s not good enough. I suspect Gosden would like Murphy, if he was available. Could he combine it with his current retainer?

Moody Man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 47

Bit harsh, CAS & Yeats. The Group 1s he won on Lady Bowthorpe & Dreamloper may not have been star-studded, but he rode them perfectly. Gosden horses haven’t been firing either (Audience excepted…)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Why is Shoemark not riding Laurel today?

I know Juddmonte like to use Moore if they can get him but it is not exactly a vote of confidence in Gosden’s chosen jockey.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

I never understood why Gosden prefers him over Havlin, who has done a heck of a job for him over the decades and would deserve to be his number 1 jockey for at least a few seasons.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Royal Ascot did not mark any sort of turning point for Shoemark. To be fair he did not ride many with a good chance but his ride on Inspiral was not inspired.

Perhaps he is unlucky to have stepped in at a time when Gosden has his weakest team for years? It looks like Dettori timed his departure well!

A lot of Gosden’s better horses are not Shoemark’s ride and it looks like he is not first choice for the Juddmonte horses either, if Moore is available.

Maybe Gosden has some good two year olds lined up to help kick start their partnership?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

He is still not having any luck. 1.03 in running on Emily Upjohn but caught close to home.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4720

Dave Nevison on RUK making it sound like Shoemark had a shocker. The jockey didn’t price the filly up at 1.03.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

I think Nevison was a bit unfair but Shoemark could do with a change of luck. He must have thought he had that race in the bag but the winner just stayed on better.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

Had he held on, everyone would have been praising him for a great enterprising ride….such are the small margins.

He really needs a change of luck and a big marque winner to settle things down but you do wonder just how long the Gosdens (or maybe their owners) are willing to keep the faith with him.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.