The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kelso – Sat Oct 21

Home Forums Horse Racing Kelso – Sat Oct 21

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4731

A first visit to Kelso and I must say I enjoyed the experience.

It’s worth paying for the Members’ if only because it allows access to the top of the Main Stand which gives a superb view over the course. That being said viewing isn’t bad from a number of other locations. Food and drink was good and reasonably priced. A competitive card gave some decent racing.

Rain overnight softened the ground to good to soft, and it rained for 40 minutes or so at the start of the meeting. The way many horses finished suggested it was fairly hard work.

2.00 2m 1/2f  Maiden Hurdle

SMART STREET was leading or close up most of the way and kept on well to win a shade comfortably. I would think there’s a little more in the tank and I expect him to progress. NAE BOTHER AT ALL looked to me as if he would benefit from the race, had to be shoved along 3 out, but plugged on to hold second. GENERAL HARDI was prominent most of the way to secure a creditable third and also close up were ANCHORS AWAY, CAMPLI and ACTION STRASSE who all seem to have sufficient ability to win races.<br>James Ewart’s newcomer Azturk was prominent in the betting but showed nothing and finished last, just being pipped by stable mate Oleolat!

2.35 2m 1f Beginners Chase

A potentially interesting clash between two apparently evenly matched hurdlers came to a swift end when Irish-trained Beautiful Vision fell at the first. UNGARO jumped a little stickily early on, but warmed to his task and ran out a comfortable winner. He was a stayer over hurdles so wouldn’t be inconvenienced by a longer trip.<br>Runner-up WATER TAXI jumps very well, his problem being that he just lacks a little pace at the death, and in these contests that usually means there’s one or two to beat him.  However he has a good attitude and must surely find a race before long.<br>The third KALIC D’ALM wasn’t any great shakes over hurdles but jumped nicely in front before fading on the run-in. I’m sure there is a chase win in him.

3.05 2m 1/2f Handicap Hurdle

An exposed bunch. CLASSIC EVENT forged clear from the last and the rest were in a heap. I sided with the chase form of King Of The Arctic, but he had shot his bolt by  3 out. GUERILLA , as I’d noticed at Perth, was led round on the grass in the paddock and looks to have some physical problem. However the softish ground seemed to help and I reckon there’s probably a selling hurdle in him. <br>MANEKI NEKO ran a creditable race, but just seems to lack a bit of pace at the business end. I suspect a longer trip may help.<br>I thought Regal Setting looked best in the paddock, but he lost interest as the field went past the stands and was quickly pulled up.

3.40 2m 6f Handicap hurdle

With the low sun causing visibility problems the two hurdles in the straight were omitted. This meant only 6 flights were jumped making the race a nice trial for 2m 5f handicaps round Pontefract!<br>COLLEGE CITY outstayed Welsh Dream in a slog down the straight. The rest were in a heap 20 lengths back.

4.10 3m 1f Handicap Chase

Due to the bright sun the last two fences in the straight were omitted here, meaning 15 were jumped altogether. I suspect that ANOTHER PROMISE would have won by even farther had he jumped the extra fences, such was the way he jumped and galloped away from the opposition. Won with a fair bit to spare and hasn’t stopped winning.<br>HUGO DE GREZ had been out of form but stayed on determinedly for second. ANOTHER TAIPAN ran respectably from 10lbs out of the handicap. <br>TEE-JAY has been in decent form was never going and pulled up. Although he would probably like better ground I’m not sure that was the whole story on this occasion.<br>MISS MATTIE ROSS is struggling at the moment.

4.40 2m 6f C.J. Novices’ Hurdle

Another race with a 5 furlong run-in(see 3.40!).<br>FIRST CRY went clear on the home bend. However he was in front for a long time and started to wander under pressure 300 yards out. Meanwhile TOP CLOUD did much the same until finding the stands’ rail to run against and ran on to get the upper hand close home. Favourite BENNY THE PILER looked cooked going to the last ( a long way out!), but stayed on behind the first two.<br>These three were well clear of the rest, although HIGH FREQUENCY ran a decent race having been up front for 2 miles. We’ll learn more when the first three have a few more hurdles in front of them.

5.10 2m 1/2f NH Flat

I suspect this was a decent event .<br>Four caught my eye in the paddock. JAAS, who looked fittest of the lot, won this impressively, going away from the proven PROGRAMME GIRL in final 2 furlongs.<br>Three newcomers looked interesting. CLASSY CHAV looks a nice strong jumping type and went well until fading in the straight. CUMBO KID looked a nice type but faded before the home turn and a watching brief is advised for now. MIDDLETON DENE is nice sort who seemed to have a bit left to work on. He shaped well in third.

SCARVAGH DIAMOND was outpaced around the home turn, but her jockey said she stayed on well towards the finish and suggested a stiffer test would suit. A longer distance mares only novice hurdle would suit her.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

We really must have a Scottish members meet up at Kelso sometime soon.

carlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi robnorth

I enjoyed reading your informative review.  Thanks

byefrom<br>carlisle<br>

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

OK Grass – I’ll peruse the calendar and propose a possible date. We will, of course, invite our friends from South of the Border, I note in particular that Grayson has yet to experience the delights of Kelso.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Indeed he hasn’t! I was planning on doing a couple of the northern tracks in consecutive days to justify the trip from Hertfordshire, i.e Musseburgh and Kelso or Musselburgh and Newcastle, but things are a little up in the air for the time being until I’m totally sorted jobs-wise.

Suffice it to say I must get Kelso done at some point – the place looked a picture again yesterday and with some competitive fare to boot. Always fun when College City scores, as the winners’ enclosure gets filled with the assorted Kenny clan in, um, distinctive variants of the horse’s brown and yellow silks.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Kelso is one of the best courses in the country. Not the best of facilities but atmosphere, friendliness and a decent calibre of competitive racing easily compensate.  It is run by real jumping people and is in good hands.

I am in the process of trying to buy a nice country pub within a short drive of the course so if successful, drinks for the TRF meeting will be on me!<br>

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Did you see the parade of Ex Racers before racing at Kelso?<br>I hear it was a great day up there??

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Excellent news Wallace. Not sure about the ‘short drive’ though.  May be a taxi job!

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Quote: from robnorth on 8:40 pm on Oct. 21, 2006[br]<br>I suspect that ANOTHER PROMISE would have won by even farther had he jumped the extra fences, such was the way he jumped and galloped away from the opposition. Won with a fair bit to spare and hasn’t stopped winning.

HUGO DE GREZ had been out of form but stayed on determinedly for second.

MISS MATTIE ROSS is struggling at the moment.

Did you get the chance to see Another Promise parading Rob? He’s a big, imposing lad by all accounts.

Impressed by the fencing, athleticism and attitude of the horse and it would be pleasing if the Hubbard’s really do have ‘another’ Strong Promise on their hands, though a long way to go yet; only beaten exposed northern handicappers after all but is only 7.

Hopefully Chris Kinane – long associated with Geoff Hubbard – is able to enjoy following Another Promise’s fledgling career.

Not really surprised to see Hugo De Grez return to some sort of form as he’s just one example of many who have an ‘off’ season(s) to return after a break refreshed and potentially well-handicapped. Heavy going and another half mile+ would have suited better as would all the fences needing to be jumped as he’s long been foot-sure, if slow. Back to Carlisle I expect in the hope of extracting one more win from the ageing sluggard.

The way Miss Mattie Ross has run this season suggests the paddocks may be imminent.

Yep, Kelso’s a grand little spot, if a bit of a bugger to get to by public transport from Berwick.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4731

Drone

Have to admit that I missed the paddock for the handicap chase as my wife and I had paused for a coffee.

In theory Another Promise has a year or two to his prime as a chaser so will be interesting to watch his progress.

I agree with you  about Hugo De Grez. He’s not the fastest animal, but he does put it all in, and with sound health and a real stamina test I get the feeling he’ll be staying on when most have said "enough!".

Thankfully I was able drive to the course. We now live in Dunfermline, about 90 minutes drive from Kelso. nice drive in good weather, but my wife says it can be tough in bad weather.  My locals are Perth and Musselburgh with Hamilton an hour’s drive away. My ‘previous life’ in southern England meant that I’ve ticked off most courses in that area. Hope to visit the likes of Hexham, Carlisle and Newcastle before too long.

Rob

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

I recommend Hexham. The viewing’s excellent and the town itself is well worth a wander around, especially the abbey and gardens.

Wrap up warm though, it’s always cold up on Yarridge Heights, as the name would suggest.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4731

A note to add to the meeting summary.

Regal Setting, pulled up in 3.05 was noted as suffering ‘an irregular heartbeat’ after an outing earlier this year. I wonder if the ailment might have occurred again?

Rob

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.