The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kelso Notes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4569

The North Notebook was kept in my pocket for most of the afternoon, as I spent much of the time talking ot fellow Forumites.

However Kevin likes my notes, so a few observations might be of future use.

The ground was soft, heavy in places, and it looked to me as if quite a few horses found the ‘drying heavy’ a bit too gluey too handle. It could be worth giving a few which ran disappointingly another chance.

1.05 4yo Novices’ Hurdle

STAINLEY got outpaced in better company at Musselburgh, but showed fine battling qualities to edge out front-running Khachaturian. The soft/heavy ground didn’t seem to hinder him. The grapevine informed us that although KHACHATURIAN was a decent prospect, winner and placed on the Flat in Ireland,  his jumping at home hadn’t been as good as it might have been. However, he jumpred competently in front and battled back well when headed. I’m sure he’ll find a race before long.<br>The rest were well back. KALMO BAY was well backed, but I felt his French form was nothing to shout about, and he was struggling a long way out and pulled up.<br>Lucinda Russell’s SEEKING STRAIGHT was struggling down the back and faded to last. Peter Buchanan felt he needs a bit of time and I get the impression better ground will help. The form of his one flat run reads well enough, so there’s some latent ability there.

1.35 2m 6.5f Handicap Hurdle<br>I have to admit I watched this one from the bar!

There looked a few with chances in the race. WITCH WIND is clearly suited by the stamina test and did well to hold off MINSTER SHADOW whose turn may be close.

2.05 2m 6.5f Novices’ Chase<br>A disappointing turn out for a near £10000 first prize, but there were four previous chase winners in the race. L’ANTARTIQUE fell a mile out without having been pressed for an effort, so difficult to weigh him up. However, the winner MORE LIKELY jumped very well in front and went comfortably clear from 2 remaining rivals in the straight. She’s only 6 and would appear to be an interesting chasing prospect.

2.35 3m 3f Handicap Hurdle

These long-distance handicap hurdles tend to be the refuge of horses which have been too slow at shorter distances, and there were some plodders amongst this lot.<br>STORYMAKER doddled up, having previously won over 2 miles. He will presumably go up 8 or 9 lbs for the win, but was so convincing that I don’t think it will stop him winning a better staying event. CRACKLEANDO seemed to appreciate the long distance, but he’s 1 from 19 over hurdles, so would need a low quality race to win.

3.10 3m 4f Handicap Chase<br>As I told Cormack, I enjoy these staying chases.

I had this one as between Ryminster and Lucky Nellerie. Sadly I backed the former who departed with a circuit to go. I seem to be the kiss of death when I back John Wade’s runners!

LUCKY NELLERIE forged clear down the back straight, and kept up the gallop to win nicely. I’m not sure he beat much but he’ll continue to show up in the lower class long distance chases in the north, particuclarly when the going is testing.<br>Teenager GO NOMADIC plugged on for second, and at least seems to try his best. INNISFREE was last of 7 finishers in a woeful event at Musselburgh recently, so his third place gives precious little encouragement to those behind. Top weight CASH BONANZA ran no sort of race and possibly had a problem.

3.45 2m 0.5f NH Flat

CHESTNUT CHARLIE went nicely in front and had all bar Steady Tiger beaten off by 2f out. Once passed he showed deep reserves of courage and battled to the lnie. He seemed distressed in the unsaddling enclosure, so may need a bit of a rest. I doubt the rest are anything special, but he was 22 lengths clear of the third, so once recovered looks a likely winner.<br>STEADY TIGER from the Richards stable did his job well enough, looked to me as if there was a bit to work on, and will presumably turn into a hurdler.

Lucinda Russell’s summary of SILVERDALES was basically that he’s a nice horse but needs time. He lost touch 6f out and was eased in down the straight.

4.15 2m 0.5f NH Flat

Nothing here with the class of pedigree of Steady Tiger. KEALSHORE BOY wore down the rest in the final furlong, but they were pretty much in a heap, and I’d rather watch the performances of a few next time out before drawing any conclusions.

At Leopardstown it was great to see Hardy Eustace prove he’s still a match for the best in the AIG Hurdle. Kevin was well pleased with Mac’s Joy’s effort in third.

DREAM RIVER won a class 7 staying event at Wolverhampton, staying on strongly from previous winner Nod’s Star. I saw Dream River win a bumper at Bellewstown in August ’05, most of County Meath was on that day, and he seems to be a ridiculously low mark for the All-Weather. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Patrick Martin brings him over to Wolverhampton again, IF there are suitable opportunities (Mr Potts can probably tell us!).

Rob

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Quote: from robnorth on 8:40 pm on Jan. 28, 2007[br]

3.10 3m 4f Handicap Chase<br>As I told Cormack, I enjoy these staying chases.

I had this one as between Ryminster and Lucky Nellerie. Sadly I backed the former who departed with a circuit to go. I seem to be the kiss of death when I back John Wade’s runners!

LUCKY NELLERIE forged clear down the back straight, and kept up the gallop to win nicely. I’m not sure he beat much but he’ll continue to show up in the lower class long distance chases in the north, particuclarly when the going is testing.<br>Teenager GO NOMADIC plugged on for second, and at least seems to try his best. INNISFREE was last of 7 finishers in a woeful event at Musselburgh recently, so his third place gives precious little encouragement to those behind. Top weight CASH BONANZA ran no sort of race and possibly had a problem.

Yep, staying chases are the business.

A leap in the dark trip-wise with CASH BONANZA and didn’t stay; he was weak in the betting all day.

The experiment of taking the headgear off RECENT EDITION failed as this already lazy sort didn’t want to know at all. Will be very well handicapped nto I expect and was well backed today.

For a youngish, unexposed horse LUCKY NELLERIE was fortunate to be the recipient of an unusual piece of leniency from the handicapper when not being raised for his win at Sedgefield (questionable form admittedly) nor for his 8 length and a distance second to another unexposed chaser lto.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Cash Bonanza was my only bet of the day :( Appeared to run in snatches, struggling quite early, getting back into it and then fading badly. Not sure if it was the trip that beat him, he looks like one that might be difficult to catch right.

I like those notes too Rob, why not start a ‘North’s Notebook’ thread in the Lays and Plays section and update it from time to time? I’m sure it’d be a popular addition as your comments/insights are well observed.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Cash Bonanza wasa dobutful runner as it had been coughing earlier in the week and was not fancied at all by connections.  So you can ignore the run completely.  Connections of a couple of runners near the bottom of the weights only declared t run as they were sure the weights would be raised.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Kalmo ran no sort of race…..looks like he hasn’t settled in yet at Ferdy’s following the trip over from France.  If he ran to the French form he’s be expected to win that race.  Rob – may be worth looking deeper into the French form….the horse he beat Saga Style has since won twice and been 2nd in a listed event.<br>He’ll have another couple of weeks to recover then back into hard work again.

Thankfully we managed to pick up another 3 winners – so not that bad a day.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

underscore, have you heard anything about a split between Ferdy & Lee??  I spoke to a very good source yesterday and word is Lee is not happy with the consistency of the horses.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I don’t believe any owners wives are involved ;)

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Quote: from Wallace on 10:48 am on Jan. 29, 2007[br]Cash Bonanza wasa dobutful runner as it had been coughing earlier in the week and was not fancied at all by connections.  So you can ignore the run completely.  <br>

Thanks for that info. Together with the fact the trip was an unknown AND he’d been lumbered with top-weight of 11-12 over 28f in testing ground, giving 1-03 (including claim) to the next in the weights, it seems a strange decision to have run at all.

So probably wise not to be too dogmatic about his trip limit after all.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

They had to run it – otherwise I wouldn’t have lost my money and that could never happen!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from Wallace on 10:48 am on Jan. 29, 2007  Connections of a couple of runners near the bottom of the weights only declared t run as they were sure the weights would be raised.<br>

This raises a question that has puzzled me for a while now.<br>Does the person who makes the final declaration, short of phoning  the other trainers involved, have any idea of the eventual weight his horse will carry?<br>It happens, from time to time, that a horse set to carry, say 10st 7lbs, in the long handicap eventually ends up with top weight on the day of the race, which must make a considerable difference to some horse’s chances?<br>Or is it all just a lottery?

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Wallace – any more info?  No noise from the yard. ps Grassy I’ve informed the missus that you’ve called her a boiler…;)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Reet Hard,

The one person that almost always knows which horses will be declared is a jockeys agent. If you phone your regular agent in the morning before declaring, 9 times out of 10, he’ll know exactly what weight you’ll have and how many opponents to expect.

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Alan is spot on with this.  The agent is best placed to know plans and in this case the information relayed from an agent was incorrect.

underscore, there is more to this but can’t at present.

(Edited by Wallace at 6:43 pm on Jan. 29, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Alan/Wallace

Thanks for that, I had often wondered!:cool:

<br>ps G Lee isn’t the only one worried about the consistency of Ferdie Murphy’s horses –  me, and Roger Cook, for 2 others.;)

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Quote: from Wallace on 6:42 pm on Jan. 29, 2007[br]

there is more to this but can’t at present.

Ooh I love a bit of intrigue. Not collusion to keep the weights down surely?

Get Roger Cook in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.