The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kauto retired

Home Forums Horse Racing Kauto retired

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Really pleased, excellent decision.

What a fantastic time he had last year. Everyone knew he was ‘gone at the game’ so just another Betfair Chase & King George!

His battles with Denman are the essence of jump racing and will last in my meomory forever.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Happy retirement Kauto.

Best National Hunt horse for over 40 years. Supreme talent.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 433

Good decision. Hope he has a long and happy retirement

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Like me, I’m sure that most people will breath a sigh of relief that Kauto Star is to race no more.

Let’s hope he has a long and contented retirement.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

The right decision has been made. Then again I would have retired Kauto at this time last year and missed his emotional victories at Haydock and Kempton.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Finally …. great news.

He has absolutely nothing left to prove, and potentially a lot to lose.

Hopefully he will have a great time out in the paddocks with his old mucker Denman.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

The Greatest Chaser of anyone’s lifetime.

Still The King.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A legend. If we can’t get the public to take an interest in a horse like him, how the hell are we going to interest them with the dross that makes up much of the sport?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Good news, what a superstar he’s been.
    The winner of the King George will now have the shine taken off him by everyone saying "he only won ’cause King Kauto retired". And damn right, the very least our french friend deserves! :D

Thank you Kauto, you’re a Star.

Eliwallach
    • Total Posts 18

The only horse i was happy to see win having backed something else.

I can’t foresee a horse ever generating the emotions that were witnessed after the wins at Kempton and Haydock last year.

The loudest applause at Cheltenham last year was not for a winner, but for an 11 year old veteran having had father time catch up with him.

Au revoir Kauto.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Wonderful quote from a Guardian reader:

"Kauto Star totally represents everything that is soooo wrong with the world today. Owned by plutocrats, exploited for entertainment by toffs and for profit by capitalist bookmakers cynically exploiting the industrial proletariat…er…a poor beast of burden who would otherwise run and jump and, well, live in a ecologically sound, nuclear-free world…and er….oh I give up. It’s such hard work being a Guardianista sometimes.

Enjoy the carrots, KS."

:D !!!

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Happy retirement Kauto Star.

Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Happy Retirement Kauto

May it be long happy and healthy keep safe :D

xx

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Just got home and someone told me this on another forum. So relieved to hear it but, omigosh the end of an era. I never warmed to him the way I did to my beloved Dessie but this news has left me in tears [as did his win in last years King George]. Wonder what he’ll do now? They won’t just put him in a field. Hunting and team chasing with Denman perhaps? What a sight that would be. Happy retirement Kauto. Only seems like yesterday Fist was trying to tell us how good this new horse was….

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I’m Glad for the horse. Wise decision – he had nothing more to prove.

A NH legend for sure. 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 2041

Delighted to see him retired safe and well. I remember watching his debut over fences against a decent field including Foreman; he looked like a monster even then.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I am so happy that Kauto Star has made it through to retirement safe and sound. Despite a rocky start to our relationship after he brought down Dempsey (who I backed) in the Champion Chase, he became a rare horse who could make my heart race whenever he was running. I literally sat there shaking sometimes, jumping out of the chair when he missed a fence!

Undoubtedly, I am not alone in having life memories related to Kauto Star too. All throughout my teens, I can think of races he won and things that happened to me around the same time. Kauto has been such a huge likeable presence for all of these years. His appeal isn’t just the astounding ability, but that air of vulnerability. He kept coming back from falls, mistakes and below-par runs to surge on to more wins. Everybody loves a comeback artiste.

Kauto Star is going to leave such a massive hole. Come on Grands Crus, Sprinter Sacre or whoever – step up to the plate!

edited for ugly typos

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.