The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

July Cup 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion July Cup 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    NogbadTheNog
    • Total Posts 37

If Aidan O’Brien’s quotes regarding SSB’s speed at home are to be believed, then the rest of the field won’t see him for dust. Or was this particular piece of work run on a downhill gradient steeper than Epsom’s 5, with a tail wind and a 3 stone rider on board?

SSB dominated the Golden Jubilee and returned a relatively slow time. In the hope that we see a stronger pace at Newmarket, I’ll be looking to oppose him with something from the pool of horses that were beaten in the GJ, with Kingsgate Native thrown into the mix, ground and draw on the day taken into account.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Darren,i do read your contributions and apart from myself i cant recall anybody putting up

Workforce

for Group 1 success as early as you

:twisted:

Moi, 31st Dec, and hinted at it a couple of months earlier.

What was you hinting at Gerald? :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Fleeting will hopefully get right up his Ass so to speak and when Frankie presses the button, Whooooosh,just like last year! It will take an exceptional horse to beat

Fleeting Spirit

! :wink:

The draw has Equiano,Starspangly and Fleeting Spirit in boxes 10,11 and 12! Perfect! :wink:

bluebird21
    • Total Posts 2

First time poster on here. My father owned and trained a sprinter called Squander Bug (won King Stand Stakes Royal Ascot 1948)so I would like to think I know something about racing.

Starspangled Banner – know doubt if he reproduces his run of Golden Jubilee will be very hard to beat, but this is Newmarket and a different day!

Fleeting Spirit – my original choice as to the likely winner until the jockey booking. Other negatives, the way she veered across the course last year and how difficult it is to win "back to back" July Cups. I have no doubt she will run well and if you fancy her, back her but not for me.

Society Rock – ran really well at Ascot but I cannot see level of form being reproduced. No doubt this one will prove me wrong!

Equiano – gallant in winning Kings Stand but this is much tougher and like Society Rock I give this a big swerve. Hopefully will set the race up for my "nap".

Marchand D’Or – not the force of old and not for me. Easily passed over.

Kingsgate Native – Never runs two races the same, completely unpredictable which horse will turn up. No doubt has bags of ability and if he were to put his "best foot forward" could easily win this but I will pass.

Kinsale King – reported to have thrived since Ascot and with Fallon again booked looks to have a big chance.

Nicconi – Apparently an out and out speed ball and can’t get 6f. Its run behind Equiano would appear to dispell those theories. Looked to me as if he got outpaced and was staying on? Make up your own minds. Damien Oliver booked and they expect a big run!

Showcasing – my idea of the winner. Big price (wasn’t he favourite for the Jubilee :wink: ) Forget that Ascot run. Headgear will be applied. This horse is so much better than the bare form and like his Dad I fully expect Showcasing to win Friday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

My 100% book:

Starspangledbanner 2/1,

Fleeting Spirit 7/2, Kinsale King 17/2, Society Rock 10/1

, Equiano 12/1

, Nicconi 18/1, Kingsgate Native 22/1, Showcasing 25/1, Marchand D’Or 40/1, Prime Defender 132/1, Varenar 132/1, Barathea’s Guest 200/1, Alverta 200/1, Serious Attitude 500/1

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1046

Serious Attitude for me. She was unbeaten Group 1 winning class at 2, ran with credit in the 1000 and beat the very smart Lesson in Humility (nearly won the Grp1 PMDG) after that; was only 2L behind Fleeting Spirit on their wrong side, having had to switch and challenge up the slower middle part of the course..making stealthy progress despite it.

Bold show looks on the cards I’ve taken some 95 :!:

Ginger’s 500s would be better but hey-ho 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Bold show looks on the cards I’ve taken some 95 :!:

Ginger’s 500s would be better but hey-ho 8)

500/1 in my 100% book means 125/1 once a bookies mark up is put on. :wink: Not that much better than your 94/1. Just 0.26% difference BB! :lol:

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

2 lengths is like 2 furlong in these sprints I’d want 1000/1 for a place but GL mate you never know.

The most annoying thing about these sprints is watching similar races on TV/Video when they are spread across the course…It’s hard enough to pick out which horses is which never mind tell how well they were actually going at certain points of the race.

Unlike Ginger I don’t subscribe to value believeing a horse is only value if you think he will win, but I have to agree on his 2/1 about Starspangledbanner….for a horse who has been beaten more than a few times in these sprints he is helluva short.

The other worry is his previous trainer never ran him on fast ground. Horses will very often go on unsuitable ground once but not a 2nd time.

I’m sticking with him simply because the man himself (AOB) is now in charge plus the fact this horse can cover a furlong in just over 9 seconds which is amazing…..if JM can keep him up there without too much effort then produce one of these wonder furlong times surely they won’t see the way he went.

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, I was looking at those going descriptions in Starspangledbanner’s record, but I don’t trust the translation from aussie to pom.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

My 100% book:

Starspangledbanner 2/1,

Fleeting Spirit 7/2, Kinsale King 17/2, Society Rock 10/1

, Equiano 12/1

, Nicconi 18/1, Kingsgate Native 22/1, Showcasing 25/1, Marchand D’Or 40/1, Prime Defender 132/1, Varenar 132/1, Barathea’s Guest 200/1, Alverta 200/1, Serious Attitude 500/1

Starspangledbanner was poor value this morning, drifted; though any bigger now and I’ll have to think about a saver.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I am going in on Society Rock again

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I sense a surprise. :shock:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Starspangledbanner outstays the valiant Equiano.

Great finish.

Sprint Cup maybe for winner and Nunthorpe for the runner up.

• Total Posts 1046

well done fav backers, bit of a machine eh :D

• Total Posts 1511

Thats Just Genius by O Brien.

Too do that with a Horse that he has had a couple of months is stupidly good and that just adds to Haradsun aswell.

The Stallion Maker has another one and that 20k first season fee will be doubled.
    :D

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Good mention by Adrian of Alverta, and hope he was on ew. Was kicking myself about not backing her at the end of the race. Would have liked Kinsale King to have done better for the trainer.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Starspangledbanner outstays the valiant Equiano.

Great finish.

Sprint Cup maybe for winner and Nunthorpe for the runner up.

Very pleasing result and to be honest when I saw the AP price of Equiano I thought for certain he must be non runner……….scared the life out of me for a few strides thought the beggar would never stop.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.