The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Juddmonte International 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Juddmonte International 2016

Viewing 14 posts - 103 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Over/under on the number of pages this thread runs to? I’ll set the line at 14.

Under

Would have been over if Time Test had run

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

How the hell was Postponed allowed to go off at 15/8?

Absolutely crazy.

Negatives of each horse beforehand need to be taken in to account. When a neative subsequently proves unfounded the horse looks a crazy price. Had Hawkbill’s going negative proved unfounded his price would’ve looked crazy afterwards.

Well done all those who took a chance on the Varian form. :good:

He still shouldn’t have been that price. 11/10, 5/4 even 11/8 I could understand the reasoning but 15/8 was just silly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1951

A few movers in the market but Almovodar not one of them.

Bit of a concern because Lanigan’s runners are rarely ‘missed’.

Unfashionable jockey and trainer Stilvi. Don’t know what the racing press has said this morning, but if little then not surprised no market move yet. Could be a different situation on course.

I suspect some people knew how he was going to be ridden. Never had a prayer.

I do like Anzhelika who runs in the fillies listed tomorrow at 8/1 right now. Not too much to go on regards form but I reckon she could be tidy. This isn’t a great race so if she has the ability then fingers crossed it all goes well. Has an entry in the group 1 on champions day.

Almodovar had no chance today, the way he ran at Ascot was a little bit deceiving I thought.

Participant
    • Total Posts 188

I didn’t think they went that quick and if he was 100% he should have been able to sit in the first three or four. It almost appeared as if he was given an educational run in a Group 1 race. Would have been just as well staying in his box.

They didn’t go that quick Stilvi, just that on paper beforehand there was plenty of pace in the race and a decision was made to hold the horse up. It turned out the pace wasn’t as quick as anticipated.

Mmmh, when I saw Almodovar out the back I wasn’t expecting a great run from him, I had picked him thinking he’d be up front as usual.

Postponed did great though, can’t knock that performance.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

What a tough horse highland reel is. Hopefully his brother Idaho turns out as tough,aiden hinted he will be kept in training. A few major failures but can’t see any excuses as the jockeys all knew how the race would pan out. Interesting to see where the 3rd, 4th and 5th will go next. Sir Isaac Newton look chopped for room but would have been third at best but seems to be improving. Hawkbills performance goes to show Godolphin still way off what they used to produce.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

It was a strong pace guys. The first couple of furlongs were run in 11 then 12 secs and only three furlongs of the race were over 12 secs. The overall time was quick. You can see the splits on repeat on Racing UK. It was simply a case of the cream rising to the top.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

It was a strong pace guys. The first couple of furlongs were run in 11 then 12 secs and only three furlongs of the race were over 12 secs. The overall time was quick. You can see the splits on repeat on Racing UK. It was simply a case of the cream rising to the top.

And the fact that Postponed and Highland Reel are predominantly twelve furlong horses.

goreisking
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 192

Atzeni executed the plan to perfection just like I said. Went flat early on as well so it was a great run. People are so dumb its unbelievable if the horse wasnt flying do you really think Varian would run? Technically this was the end of the season target for Postponed besides the Arc and they was adamant that he needs the 10F on his Group 1 CV!

Never in any danger!

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

What a tough horse highland reel is.

He’s tough in that he stays sound and consistent through a lot of racing and travelling. Notorious softy in a finish though.

I think Jonibake is right here – the splits show the pace was very strong. Wings Of Desire, Almodovar and The Grey Gatsby were in the right place from a game theory point of view, but they simply weren’t anywhere near good enough. The Grey Gatsby shaped best of that trio but I think he has regressed slightly since his three-year-old season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Agreed Joni, it was a strongish perfect pace, point I was making is that I believe Almodovar’s connections were expecting an overly strong pace, and – not wanting to take the pacemaker on – decided to drop the horse out which backfired. Horse hated it.

Can see form of the race working out really well.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2031

God call Mr Olney – you are now the prince, though Gore is still king :)

Well done all Postponed supporters – tough horse who looked to be idling for quite a while.

Thanking you. I know we’re all hooked on Postponed fever at the mo but I would like to give a big shout out to both Sir Isaac Newton & Exosphere who have both run absolute crackers in my opinion. Surely Sir Isaac has a decent win in him and I hope both of these horses are kept in training next year so as we can see their further progression.

softie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 199

Very interesting thread all, but i cannot believe how little praise there is for Mutakayyef. This horse has run an immense race, and has improved all season. Racing Post argue that he was running on one paced before being hampered, but having watched the replay again i feel that he was closing, albeit slowly, with every stride, and when Hanagan had to stop riding and those vibes may well have transferred to the horse thinking he had done enough, and stopped going forward himself.
    I would take slight issue with the comment that Varian would not have run him if all was not well. With this owner i get the feeling if he had instructed the trainer to run him in a 3 mile chase at Cartmel, he would have to, or lose the whole string!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Hahahah! Good point Softie!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Highland reel not getting credit he deserves. He keeps beating horses with higher ratings and then the form is questioned. To run supposedly the best middle distance horse in training to within just over a length over a distance short of his best is a cracking effort. Had he kicked on a wee bit earlier could have really gone closer.

Viewing 14 posts - 103 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.