The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£6,701.88

Thanks Nath. Great to know there are such lovely, supportive people on this site.

I was particularly pleased today because those were 2 horses that I backed earlier in the season and who both lost. But I thought I had seen something in both of them and kept the faith. I think it is so important to trust your instincts. You won’t always be right but it is really nice when you are. I also like doubling up – again most of the time they won’t come in, but when they do they easily pay for all the ones that lost.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m a big fan of Scottish and he runs at Deauville in a minute. Hoping he handles the soft.

£50 win Scottish – 9-2 – Deauville – 3.10 loser Pulled like a train and lost all chance.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

There’s a very nice 2 year old of HP’s running at Salisbury today. Zodiakos is supposed to be one of his best and the progeny of Zodiac seem to handle the soft ground very well so I am hoping for a big run.

£100 win Zodiakos – 7-2 – Salisbury 1.40 loser – got het uyp beforehand, missed the break and ran free on ground he didn’t like

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£6,661.88

4 bets today. They think Dartmouth is a group horse. If he is, he wins. His work has been superb apparently. Hawkesbury is another I like. He has a bit of a high head carriage but I think he has class and I am sure he will be there or thereabouts. The only time I have backed Adaay this year is when he flopped on fast ground at Ascot but I saw him in the flesh at Newbury at the beginning of the season and he is a big imposing colt who I think is still improving. I just hope I am not cursing him by backing him again today! Finally I am taking a bit of a chance with an old Henry Cecil colt called Hamelin who looked like being a decent horse two seasons ago before he got injured. He comes back in a little race at Wolverhampton but he ash been working well according to reports and I am hoping he’ll be fit enough to go close.

£35ew Hawkesbury – 11-1 – 2.50 Ascot – loser
    £35ew Dartmouth – 5-1 – 3.25 Ascot – loser
    £35ew Adaay – 13-2 – 3.45 Haydock – loser
    £35ew Hamelin – 7-1 – 7.00 Wolverhampton – placed at 16’s
    £2ew lucky 15

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£6,506.88

Not a good day but some funny end of season results around at the moment. At least Hamelin ran a cracker at a big price to reduce losses. I’m definitely the kiss of death on Adaay – he ran another stinker!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16972

Joni that Betfred Sprint was the hardest race to find the winner of they all had a chance. All the fancied horses disappointed and I just managed a last minute fiver on Twilight Son when I saw Henry Candy’s interview with Gina before the race..my choice was the very disappointing Tiggy Wiggy and Gordon Lord Byron.
    Frankie Dettori completely led the punters up the wrong path with Danzeno (very overated horse nowadays) when Magical Memory was the horse he should have ridden.
    Gordon Lord Byron usually a standing dish at Haydock was all washed up today.
    I’m glad that Twilight Son kept his unbeaten record but if Muhaarar had turned out it would have been game over for all of them.
    What on earth has happened to Richard Hannon’s horses they seem to be suffering from a long season and he doesn’t seem to have much in the way of 2016 Classic potential at the moment, what do you think Joni?
    By the way despite Adaay & Co letting you down today you’re still showing a pretty impressive return on your bets, really well done.. :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Jac. Yes you called it a few weeks ago when you said it was that time of year when form can turn on its head and you were right….as usual :) Funny but I was thinking the exact same thing about the Hannon’s yesterday. I was a bit more mean in my thinking – I am wondering if the yard is quite as good with Jnr in charge. It may be too early to say that but I just get the sense that the stable has dropped off a bit year this year and some of their horses have been very disappointing. Log Out Island and King of Rooks are two examples of juveniles who have completely gone off the boil having looked promising. Tiggy Wiggy is a big let down this year and even NOT and Toormore have regressed. Of course there could be a valid explanation for all of them and they still have some nice horses. The 15% strike rate is about the same as when Snr was in charge but they do have better quality owners these days so I was expecting more. I wonder what our resident Hannon Fan Nath makes of it………?

I was kicking myself yesterday as I really like Henry Candy and had a good look at the winner but thought the inexperience would count against him. I am glad to be wrong and he could be a good one next year. Not often you see an unbeaten sprinter!

I am having 1 bet today. Distain looked very promising on her first two runs especially first time out when she was only beaten 2 lengths by the exciting French Dressing. She looked like she didn’t quite stay last time out and looks a good ew shout running off the same mark and down in trip. The odds are quite interesting as many firms have her at 7’s but one or two go 10’s. Worth a few quid I think.

£40ew Distain – 10-1 – York 2.30 placed

Participant
    • Total Posts 16972

Twilight Son was mighty lucky to have his head down at the finish it could have gone either way but I like to see a good horse win and makes you wonder why Henry Candy took Limato out, he’s one of those great racing characters isn’t he with a good poker face when questioned but I think the twinkly eyes gave him away yesterday.
    It’s going to be interesting next season Joni when Richard Hughes gets his feet under the table and Simon Crisford starts to make his mark also, the Hannon’s will have some tough opposition.
    Completely missed Distain when I was looking through York last night, I think because she happens to be runnning in the trickiest handicap on the card. Being by Champs Elysee who I have been following this year along with Lady Cecil and Prince Khaled she must be in the mix so I’ll put a little of the Twilight money on her.
    I only picked one to back today in the 5.10 the Apprentice race, ridden by Cam Hardie I have to go with Love Marmaladewho just went down by a nose LTO and at 16/1 worth a small each way look, never won at this level but based on his last run he could go well for a top apprentice today.
    Very best of luck :good: Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 16972

Toormore has just won in Turkey but Windshear has come plum last to Connecticut so all still not well in the yard. They must be pleased to get that one under their belts though.
    Nathan will no doubt have some comments to add here when he gets back from his weekend away with Alex.
    Money back plus a little with Distain well done Joni getting the 10’s she went off 9/2 and I still have Love Marmalade as a single bet and part of an each way double to look forward too.
    Can’t wait for Doncaster next week will have to keep a close eye on Limato if he turns out and some great racing ahead. :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

Hannon wont be happy with the way the season has unfolded.
    I’m not sure it’s his fault, I think the better horses are not quite good enough for the top races, Ivawood and Tiggy Wiggy for my money haven’t trained on and neither are milers and I think the guineas killed them. I didn’t see yesterdays race but if you watch Tiggy Wiggy in the commonwealth she is running with a strange head carriage and forum member Steeplechasing has said on a few occasions with other horses he thinks this is because they are running with an injury or are uncomfortable. Ivawood’s class got him two 3rds in the guineas but with his pedigree and size as a two year I always thought he might not develop further as a three year old. Shalaa won the Prix Morny with Hannon’s in second so he couldn’t do much about that but I cant think of too many hard luck stories. NOT won the Lockinge and Pethers Moon the Coronation Cup which was a good feather in the cap for Hannon(s) as he’s more associated with them up to a mile. King of Rooks and Log Out Island have been puzzling and there’s not much of the two year olds to look forward to, maybe Illuminate in the 1000 could be the one but I’m not convinced She’ll get the mile unless it’s good-firm. If Hannon has taken the stable backwards I’ll hold my hands up for him and say Peacock would have beaten Golden Horn at Newmarket and Time Test at Ascot but for me…..

Is he still second in the Championship? that will be down to numbers more than anything but not a bad position. Hopefully he’ll get a superstar land up on the gallops soon. I see he has a Sir Prancealot bay filly (Ire) ex Singingintherain (Ire) still up for sell going for 24k the forum could club together the cash about 48 of us at £500 quid each or Joni could stump up the 23k and myself and jac £500 quid each, what do ya say?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 16972

I’m in Nathan :good: would that mean Joni would own most of the horse leaving us the back leg and the tail..LOL
    Great summary of Hannons year they must be pleased that Toormore came in today but as for their flagship horses for 2016 it all looks in pieces apart from Illuminate.
    Love Marmalade only managed 4th so place double down but nothing lost as Joni’s filly Distain placed and I did her in a separate bet…hope you had a good time at Butlins Nathan, looking forward to Donny next week.
    PS..down to 40th on the Fantasy Qipco Game this weekend but still happy to be in the top 100, the League slightly down (19th I think) but still time to pick it up again next week. :good: Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

We had a great time Jac, I could spend all day on those dodgems.
    I had Alex in training for the Hannon job but one of the security guards wasn’t impressed when he done a Dettori flying dismount off Sky Lantern

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£6,566.88

At first glance I thought Distain was hard done by not to win that. She was certainly given a lot to do and might have done better ridden closer to the pace. But watching the race again the winner was short of room for a while and quickened up much better when it mattered. My filly was closing and would have won in another 150 yards but she had the whole of the York straight to win the race and will surely step back up next time.

Loved reading Nath and Jac on here and great summary from Nath of the Hannon season. You’re both right – next year is a big one for the stable. What a great idea to have a TRF horse – just not sure about the proportions mentioned – I have 3 kids under 6!!!! If I DID own a horse I would certainly send it to Hugo Palmer – he is doing incredibly well with some very (comparatively) cheap horses and I reckon you would get a very good run for your money with him.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

We had a great time Jac, I could spend all day on those dodgems.
    I had Alex in training for the Hannon job but one of the security guards wasn’t impressed when he done a Dettori flying dismount off Sky Lantern

There is another horse in that Arcade Nathan. It’s the Ivawood model but it’s rarely operating because the staff are told to turn it off when it’s raining outside :cry:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16972

LOL Steve :good:

Great pic Nathan, Sky Lantern looks like she’s enjoying her retirement and Alex is a natural in the saddle just needs to take a tighter grip on those reigns otherwise his flying dismount might come a bit early.

Would love Hugo Palmer to train our TRF horse Joni what a lot of fun that would be, I will need to find a long lost rich Aunt or Uncle to be able to fund it though, oh well we can dream.

Tricky weekend to find winners and Distain dwelt for quite a while at the start of the race, would have loved her to come in for Lady Cecil, still can’t believe Warren Place is to be sold to Sheik Mohammed and his operation.
    Don’t forget who’s occupying Frankels box at the moment Ed Walker’s Lightning Moon, hasn’t run since May but turns out for a Group 2 at Doncaster on Saturday.

Good luck Joni
    :bye: Jac

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I am still convinced that Kiyoshi retains her ability. She was disappointing last time but it turns out she was struck into. She is definitely up to this level as she showed when she won the race last year and these are her optimum conditions. 10-1 is a nice price about a very classy filly.

£50ew Kiyoshi – 10-1 – 2.30 Doncaster loser

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

Ivawood and Tiggy Wiggy for my money haven’t trained on and neither are milers and I think the guineas killed them. I didn’t see yesterdays race but if you watch Tiggy Wiggy in the commonwealth she is running with a strange head carriage and forum member Steeplechasing has said on a few occasions with other horses he thinks this is because they are running with an injury or are uncomfortable. Ivawood’s class got him two 3rds in the guineas but with his pedigree and size as a two year I always thought he might not develop further as a three year old. Shalaa won the Prix Morny with Hannon’s in second so he couldn’t do much about that but I cant think of too many hard luck stories.

Tiggy Wiggy retired, Ivawood will go the same way after his next race.

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.