The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

3 quick bets to post –

Gaspirali is expected to leave is his first run behind him and is a great price if he can.
    Pallasator has his ground and could grind them all down.
    Euro Charlene will win easily.

£35ew Gaspirali – 12-1 – 2.35 Newmarket placed
    £35ew Pallasator – 4-1 – Geoffrey Freer Stakes loser
    £150 win Euro Charlene – 3-1 – Beverly D Stakes loser
    15ew double the top 2

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Just seen the replay of the U.S. Race. My filly went out way too fast on that rain soaked ground. When is she going to get some luck? She was easily the best horse in that race. The demotion of the winner was a joke as well. I hope they do appeal.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Not so easy keeping on top of things from abroad but I see it has been raining in York and Gleneagles is a doubtful runner. Such a shame as I think he would have given GH a run for his money on quick ground. I am not so sure GH will like the conditions particularly so I have had a bet on a horse I think is definite Group 1 material and might just run a big race. Time Test has been very impressive in lesser company and still has to step up massively but I think the softer conditions might play to his strengths. His dam loved a bit of cut and this smooth travelling colt could just give the fav something to think about. I have played the forecast as well.

I think Aiden will win the Voltigeur. Again the rain softened ground will surely go against the Sea The Stars colts and so I have backed both Bondi Beach and Giovanni Caneletto who we know love softer ground. I have also done a combination forecast with all of Aiden’s.

75ew – Time Test – 5-1 – Juddmonte International loser
    30rev f/c Time Test and Golden Horn
    75 win Giovanni Canelleto – 7-1 – Great Voltigeur loser
    75 win Bondi Beach – 4-1 loser
    10 combination forecast BB, GC and Aloft

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A poor start to the week. Bondi Beach may have been unlucky and would certainly have been awarded the race in other countries but it is hard to argue that the best horse didn’t win. The Juddmonte was won by the best jockey. Most interesting quote of the day came from SDS “I ignored the pacemaker and did my own fractions” – this man has a clock in his head. GH clearly not quite so effective on softer ground and never really seemed to be travelling. Time Test perhaps not as good as I had hoped.

Anyway onwards and upwards and I have a few bets today. My fav filly Covert Love goes again in the Yorkshire Oaks and I am not deserting her now. I’ll also have a little bit on Extremity who is back on a winnable mark. Besharah has also not let me down this year and I am sure she’ll give the Johnston hotpot something to think about. Finally I am interested in Midday’s full brother Shoal who could be a typical Stoute improver.

80 win Covert Love – 3-1 loser
    35ew Besharah – 9-2 winner
    25ew Extremity – 16-1 loser
    25ew Shoal – 16-1 loser
    1ew Lucky 15

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Hope Lumiere wins for my 1000 Guineas bet Joni, but with Johnston in nowhere near as good form as Haggas – if I were having a wager – Besharah each way looks the safest bet. You can win this if I can win in May? Deal or no deal?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

That was enough to make your extremities tingle Joni. Well done, you deserved that after yesterday. :good: Good luck for the rest of the day. I am on Covert Love (though others would be better results) and agree with Shoal too. Could improve markedly given breeding. Weak in the market, so may be she’s only a little fish.

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

She seems to be getting better doesnt she Mark? She won that really well. It was a break even day yesterday but I thought it was going to be better than that til the last 150 yards of the Yorkshire Oaks. Still Covert Love ran her heart out and she’ll be winning again soon.

Today I have backed a few long shots who might just handle the conditions better than one or two more fancied sorts.

35ew Tac De Boistron – 6-1 – 2.30 York non runner
    20ew Aktabanay – 33-1 – 3.05 York loser
    20ew Pearl Secret – 20-1 – 3.40 York loser
    35ew Strong Steps – 12-1 – 4.55 York loser
    50 win Talinya – 5-1 – 4.55 York loser
    1ew Lucky 15 the above

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Tac de B is out so have backed Clever Cookie instead.

£75 win Clever Cookie – 7-2 – 2.30 York loser

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Am not so sure there is any “soft” in the ground Joni.
    Handicapper, Chil The Kite produced a time just 0.9 seconds slower than standard; well in to the “Good” bracket. Only thing that could make that time truly “good-soft” is if there was a very strong tailwind.

EDIT: Heard from Drone, York had a short spell of “rattling rain” overnight which has made it softer again today – probably is good-soft.

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A tough week and most of mine finished last yesterday. It’s that time of year. A couple of bets to finish the week on a high.

£25 ew Basam – 8-1 placed
    £50ew Buratino – 4-1 non runner
    £35ew Clondaw Warrrior – 6-1 loser
    £3Ew Patent -£18

£5,002.88

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A bit of a losing streak so hoping to turn it around with two of Hugo Palmer’s.

£35ew Twitch – 6-1 – 8.25 Kempton placed
    £100 win Peru – 7-4 – 2.20 Lingfield non runner
    £30 win double

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A bit of a losing streak so hoping to turn it around with two of Hugo Palmer’s.

£35ew Twitch – 6-1 – 8.25 Kempton
    £100 win Peru – 7-4 – 2.20 Lingfield
    £30 win double

Hugo Palmer is 0/23 for August so far Joni. He’s had some places but a few dismal efforts in the mix. He couldn’t go wrong last month it seemed.

Just thought it might be worth noting until he strikes again.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£5,021.88

Yes he is on a run of bad form Stevie. It is a funny time of year and the ground is making it even harder as early season form is turned around. I’m keeping a watching brief for now.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So just the 2 bets today for horses who I think will appreciate conditions. I know HP’s horses are not running so well but I still expect Hawksmoor to run well in the Prestige Stakes. He was expected to win last time out but got racing too early and possibly didn’t like the fast ground. His family go well on the soft and I think he will go close. I also like Beautiful Romance this evening at Windsor. She hosed up on soft ground last year and was running very well behind Osaila in the Nell Gwynn when she got hampered. SHe then got injured and missed most of the season but came back a few weeks ago in France. She finished out the back but it was her first run back in a tough race. Obviously the fav is a top class horse but he has to carry loads of weight and BR looks to have a chance if she can replicate that Newmarket form.

£50ew Hawksmoor – 6-1 – Goodwood 2.00 winner
    £35ew Beautiful Romance – 5-1 – 7.05 Windsor winner
    £25ew double

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Don’t know how she managed to win that! Fell out of the stalls then had stacks of ground to make up. She is a really nice filly. I see an old friend of mine is running in the next at Newmarket. Retirement Plan may need the run but I can’t let him go unbacked at 16-1.

£15ew Retirement Plan – 16-1 – 2.50 Newmarket loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Bang Bang!!! Keep the faith even during the losing streaks!!! She absolutely hosed up didn’t she!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32178

Great stuff Joni.
    I knew I was cheering Beautiful Romance on for someone, checked the comps as I thought it was Triptych then remembered your double…… :good:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.