The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£4,634.33

A pretty fantastic day with a £1,500 profit and I was sweating on that last one. Beaten by the Queen again! She and me don’t get on.

Western Reserve is at least Listed class and looked mighty impressive before tying up slightly in the last half furlong. Really pleased for Lady Cecil – she is so lovely just not a trainer. Muhaarah never looked like getting there but somehow did and I don’t think he particularly handled the track. But he has loads of class and just got there. He looked like a 7f horse though didn’t he and unfortunately there are that many of those type of races.

My friend Arod did it exactly as I expected him to. He will win a Group 1 at some point this horse though he may have to go abroad to do it. With England winning the test the day could not have really gone any better unless Salma Hayek had rung my front door bell and said “I need you Joni, I want you Joni and I WILL HAVE YOU NOW Joni!!!” The night is still young………

So all in all a great July meeting and roll on Glorious Goodwood. In the meantime I am a firm believer in riding those waves so have had a cheeky ew on Abtakany tomorrow in the Prix Jean Prat. He is very well regarded by Hugo Palmer and ran a really good race behind Gleneagles in the SJP after a long lay off. That race should have blown away the cobwebs and he is a massive price in an 8 field. Hopefully he will grab a place.

Finally I should mention SDS and the jockeys championship. I am fighting my feelings here. Poor old Ryan could be off for a month but it is surely wrong to be happy about another’s misfortune so I am walking around feeling sad one minute and then guiltily happy the next. At least Ryan doesn’t appear to be seriously hurt, just in need of rest. No idea what the new odds will show but SDS should be odds on I reckon so my 25’s is looking good. Does that make me a very bad person? Please tell me it doesn’t……….

£35ew Abtakany – 20-1 – Prix Jean Prat – Chantilly loser

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Another great day for you Joni.
    No room to feel sorry for Moore Joni as far as the betting goes, swings and roundabouts we’ve all had runners drop out on Ante Post bets it’s part and parcel of the game. Like you say anyway it’s sounds nothing to serious and a rest will do him good besides he has won plenty of prize money to help keep himself occupied. If your man SDS hits odds on I’d at least lay your stake off as Hughes despite what he says will have at least one of his eyes on the title and the news of Moore will have given him a shot in the arm. I think if he is within striking distance after Goodwood he’ll go for it. Yes his training career will have to prioritise to a certain extent but I think he said all that after a few bad weeks for himself personally with losing his mounts Log Out Island and King of Rooks when sold to the big boys with retaining jockeys. He can be a moody sh!te at times but I wouldn’t write him off just yet….. :whistle:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Wise words Nath. Funnily enough I was thinking 6-1 for Hughsie was far too big a couple of days ago and was ready to lay off a bit on him. Those odds will have gone now but yes I will be looking to lay off a bit soon.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Hearing good reports about a 2 year old of Hugo Palmer’s tomorrow at Sandown. Zodiakos is supposedly one of his better 2 year olds and it doesn’t look the strongest maiden. Get in quick with B365 for some 6’s.

£75ew Zodiakos – 6-1 – 7.10 Sandown winner

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£5,023.33

Hope you were all on. 15p deducted in the pound but still close on £500 profit. Looks a smart colt. First time I have cracked the £5,000 mark which isn’t bad seeing as I was £1,000 down just before Royal Ascot. Long may it continue.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

£5,023.33

Hope you were all on. 15p deducted in the pound but still close on £500 profit. Looks a smart colt. First time I have cracked the £5,000 mark which isn’t bad seeing as I was £1,000 down just before Royal Ascot. Long may it continue.

Great winner there Joni, he was different class to those and there’s more to come.

I had a look at the race last night and thought that the early favourite, The Major, was well worth taking on. Fair enough he had already had a run and been third but he was tanked more than 10 lengths in a Lingfield maiden where the winner and second both got shunted on their next starts and where the form since now reads 0/5

You sometimes wonder if tipsters and bookies even bother reading the subsequent form.

There’s a maiden tomorrow where we won’t get rich but Richard Hannon’s Bahaarah looks good at 2/1 for the 7.05 at Doncaster. Third on her debut over 6F it looked like the extra furlong would help greatly and the stable 2yo’s are going well. Improvement is as near to guaranteed as you could hope for and the fact that an unraced Stoute 2yo is second favourite leads me to believe there is a chance she could be a big drifter and the Hannon horse is nearer an even money shot in my mind than 2/1

Stoute’s filly is by Sea The Stars and likely to be much more of a long term project. In my heyday I’d have had the big boots on and been banging Bet365’s door down for the 2/1 Bahaarah after her 3rd in a Newmarket maiden. 4th horse that day, Squash, won a Wolverhampton maiden and that always helps.

Well done on a great winner and keep up that profit. You’re the king of bouncing back from a bad spell and getting back on top. :yahoo:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

£5,023.33

Impressive work Joni,you are a chip off my old block.£5k is a milestone and it inspires confidence.When you are in profit you feel as though you have the midas touch.I can see the £10k coming this season too.What I like most is your approach,you are comfortable doing this now and that tells in your posts.Keep up the good work pal its a great thread yet again.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks for the kind words Steve and Gord! And well done Steve on Bahaarah getting it done. I spent a turgid day at Lords watching the Aussies accumulate on a flat, lifeless pitch. Luckily I was in good company!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A quiet weekend and away with the family so just a couple of small bets on two of Hugo Palmers who I think will go well at decent prices.

£35ew Covert Love 8-1 – Irish Oaks – winner
    £35ew Strong Steps 5-1 – Newmarket 1.45 – non runner
    £15ew double winner

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

some great stuff mate and a good read

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Wise words Nath. Funnily enough I was thinking 6-1 for Hughsie was far too big a couple of days ago and was ready to lay off a bit on him. Those odds will have gone now but yes I will be looking to lay off a bit soon.

Hughsie is now packing it in after Glorious Goodwood, so all bets are off on him.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks N Walton! Yes Stevie they seem to be handing it to SDS on a plate.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Yeah, not wise words from me. Wont be the last time……….

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well nobody could have forecast that Nath. Funny how luck can turn. At the start of this season I had 3 AP selections withdraw through injury. Hang on in there mate!

1 more bet for today. The Johnston 2 year olds are flying and Hawatif is supposed to be one of the better ones. 8-1 is a nice price if he is.

£50ew Hawatif – 8-1 – 3.45 Newbury loser

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Hughes is very quick to react to his emotions a bit like a woman. If he has a good run of winners and a decent Goodwood and closes the gap to within a few by the end of that festival it wouldn’t completely surprise me if he retracts his decision and continues. Nothing is set in stone and what’s a couple of months to the middle of October. I wouldn’t bet on that happening but nothing is impossible.
    Consort looks the banker to me today, 3 lengths off Gleaneagles and most likely to be better at the trip.
    What’s your thoughts on Jack Naylor Joni?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hughes is very quick to react to his emotions a bit like a woman. If he has a good run of winners and a decent Goodwood and closes the gap to within a few by the end of that festival it wouldn’t completely surprise me if he retracts his decision and continues.

I thought that was Richard Hughes talking about Nathan Hughes and the Racing Forum ;-)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Another Group 1 winner and I am delighted for Hugo Palmer. This guy is going to be one of the top trainers over the next 30 years and this will be the first of many classics I reckon. I backed Covert Love first time out this season and remember she conpletely missed the break and was way out the back. I thought she had lost all chance but she circled the whole field and won going away. I have backed her every time since and she has yet to let me down. Now she is a classic winner – incredible. Sounds like Jack Naylor ran a stormer Nath so I hope you were on ew. I backed her in the English Oaks and felt de didn’t stay. Clearly wrong on that count.

Mr Palmer has another running at the Curragh tomorrow and I think 11-2 is a huge price about Home of the Brave given he has been mixing it with better company without disgracing himself and I reckon 7f is just about his best trip. The 3 year olds keep on winning so he’ll do for me.

£100ew Homeofthebrave – 11-2 – 3.10 Curragh winner (rule 4 10p deduction)

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.