The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A couple of quality races today. Treve will surely take all the beating in France and I’d prefer to watch and enjoy. If I was going to have a bet it wouldprobably be on Dolniya but 7-2 doesn’t really do it for me. The Pretty Polly also looks high quality and it is great for Irish racing that we are getting Group 1’s worthy of the name this year. I am continuing my theme of backing 3 year olds and against their elders especially as I think there are a couple of very good ones in the line-up. Legatissimo is a proper top class, Group 1 filly and this 10f is probably her ideal trip. She had a tough race in the Oaks but she has had time to recover and I think she will win. I have had a sneaky ew on Aiden’s filly to run into a place. She was obliterated in the Oaks when just starting to make her challenge and would have finished a lot closer. There has been a little bit of rain in Ireland to change the going to good and I am hoping that Secret Gesture will ensure there will be pace in the race. She obviously stays 12f well so this could just be on the short side but she has drifted to a very backable price for a very in-form stable.

£200 win Legatissimo 13-8 – (available at 7-4 with Bill Hill who don’t take my money)- Pretty Polly loser
    £50ew Diamondsandrubies – 9-1 – Pretty Polly winner

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£2,586.36

Well I suppose I shouldn’t moan but I am kicking myself for not doing the forecast. I think the best jockey in the race won that (in that PARTICULAR race I mean) as Seamie got it exactly right on the winner. Saying that she is clearly a very classy filly and I would say she’ll take the beating if she runs in the Irish Oaks. They must be so frustrated with Legatissimo just being denied again but she had every chance. Ribbons ran a blinder. Once again it’s 3 year olds beating older horses and I hope they keep giving me nice prices. Speaking of which can we take on Forgotten Rules in the Curragh Cup? Ground quicker than ideal, off the back of a hard race? He SHOULD win but do you want to back him at odds on? I have a spare £85 so I’ll have a little fun with Aiden’s two.

£45win Order of St George – 5-1 – 5.30 Curragh loser
    £40 win Bondi Beach – 9-1 – 5.30 Curragh winner

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Bang! Get in there again! Back those 3 year olds guys! Once again though – where was the forecast??!!!!

£2.946.36

sebalex
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

Joni you beautiful man!

Looked at the bank this morning after 2 expensive nights out and thought s#it the bed I’ve spent too much.

Didn’t see much about but I thought I’d trust you with some wonga and I’m glad I did! Excellent shouts mate.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Hahahha!! That’s made my weekend Sebalex!!! Thanks for the faith!

sebalex
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

Pleasure is all mine I assure you!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Terribly sad news about Kauto Star this week. He gave so many people so many wonderful memories. To get through his career unscathed and to then lose his life in the paddock is really tragic. He will be remembered for many years.

Life goes on as does the racing and I have had a bit of consolidation after the last couple of weeks with not much quality racing taking place. It hots up again this weekend but I have had a couple of bets tomorrow. I think Hugo Palmer is the most up and coming trainer in the land and I predict big things for this man. He has a fantastic website as well which is worth checking out as he gives in depth previews of the races his horses will be running in as well as reviews of what took place the previous week. He runs three tomorrow and I think 2 will win. Galileo Gold has looked a very nice colt in his two races so far and runs in the Novice Stakes at Haydock. Hugo tells us on his site that he has been looking for a race for Only Joking to win and I think he has found one at Lingfield tomorrow. Hopefully they will both go well and take me above the 3 grand mark.

£35ew Only Joking – 9-2 – 4.10 Lingfield placed
    £80 win Galileo Gold – 11-4 – 3.50 Haydock winner
    £20 win double

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Continuing my theme of backing 3 year olds against their elders I have had two early bets for Saturday.

Steve Caution alerted me to Ladbrokes winning distance bet for the Eclipse and I am confident that Golden Horn will win this easily. Thankfully he has Frankie on board and nobody likes to show off more than Frankie so I expect him to try and win by as much as possible (unlike if Richard Hughes was aboard for example) so I have backed him to win by more than 4 lengths. I have a feeling this is an exceptional Derby winner who will be even better over 10f and I am not sure the older 10f horses are all that special.

I am a big fan of Salt Island and think he is due a big one. I saw him at Newbury a couple of months ago and he had no luck in running behind Adaay. He then got stuck in the softer conditions behind Adaay and Limato at Haydock before running an absolute stormer in the Group 1 Commonwealth behind his stablemate. All those races were over 6f and obviously this race is over 5f but he showed a lot of speed at Ascot and was probably in front a furlong out. I think the Sandown 5f will suit and hopefully the ground will be rattling quick. For me he travels like a really good horse and Saturday could be his day. He was 10’s this morning but I wanted to wait for NRNB and see what the weather was up to. I am happy to take the 8’s now.

£100ew Salt Island- 8-1 – Coral Charge loser
    £100 win Golden Horn to win by more than 4 lengths – 9-2 – Eclipse loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A nice £200 profit on the day thanks to Mr Palmer. The 2 year old is a nice sort but check out his filly that won at Kempton last night. Hawksmoor definitely has a future……..

£3,146.36

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

There probably won’t be too many more opportunities to back a horse trained by Cecil which is really sad. Today though I think Warren Place will have a winner as Distain runs off a mark of 80 at Donny. This one was being considered for the Ribblesdale and will certainly improve for a step up in trip. She has decent form and should take a lot of beating.

Elsewhere I am having small ew’s on a couple of 3 year olds taking on their elders. Midlander goes in the first at Sandown and goes there in good form. I have also had a cheeky one on Sharp Sailor who is a massive price in the listed race but doesn’t actually have too much to find with the front two in the market through Sennockian Star and was very unlucky last time out.

£80 win Distain – 13-8 – 4.10 Doncaster non-runner
    £25ew Midlander – 9-2 – 2.20 Sandown winner
    £25ew Sharp Sailor – 25-1 – 3.55 Sandown loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Another profitable day and even Sharp Sailor ran well without ever looking like he might win. Keep backing those 3 year olds folks. Mark Johnston has his horses running well but can you really trust this stable? You may remember I backed Midlander with De Sousa up a few weeks ago and he ran abysmally from a much lower weight. He has now won his last two and is climbing up the handicap. On the same day I backed Ifwecan who finished almost last and he won easily lto and runs tomorrow in the Coral Challenge. I may even have a little on him. So hard to predict when he wants them to win but they are worth following when they do. Will wait to see if it rains before posting my additional tips for tomorrow.

£3,226.36

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Another cracking day in prospect at Sandown today and I fully expect to see Golden Horn trounce them in the Eclipse. I am not worried about the lack of pace as Frankie can do it from the front if he wants. If they crawl the one that would give him most to do would be Cougar Mountain who ran a cracker in the POW but would have stamina doubts if they went any sort of pace. I have backed GH to win by more than 4 lengths and am confident he will. I have already backed Salt Island at 7’s and he trades at 4’s now after the withdrawal of the fav. He obviously has the progressive Gosden horse to beat but my one has been running in Group 1 races whereas the other has been winning at lower levels and has to produce a career best. We’ll see but I think mine should be fav.

Elsewhere I have had a few more ew’s on a normal tricky day. I think Jellicle Ball has drifted way too big and is now backable but I have also had a few quid on Bella Nostalgia as I know HP really rates her and she is very progressive.

In the Challenge I am also backing 2 as I think Ifwecan is very well handicapped and I think Sahaafy is much better than he showed last time and is a progressive 3 year old.

Finally I am backing 2 in the last as Henry Candy’s Chain Of Daisy’s looks well handicapped and HP runs a nice one called Peace Prize. After missing out on 2 forecasts last week I am going to have a little fun with those as well.

£25ew Ifwecan – 10-1 – 2.35 Sandown loser
    £25ew Sahaafy – 9-2 – 2.35 Sandown loser
    £10 r/fc the above
    £35ew Jellicle Ball – 4-1 – 3.10 Sandown loser
    £35ew Bella Nostalgia – 7-1 – 3.10 Sandown placed
    £10 r/f/c the above
    £50 win Chain of Daisy’s – 11-4 – 4.55 Sandown winner
    £25ew Peace Prize – 6-1 – 4.55 Sandown winner
    £10 r/fc the above
    £10 r/fc Waady and Salt Island loser
    £25 st/fc Golden Horn and Cougar Mountain loser
    45p ew Lucky 15 Salt Island, Ifwecan/Sahaafy, Jellicle Ball, Bella Nostalgia, Chain of Daisy’s/Peace Prize (120 bets £108 stake)- return £22.70

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Not a great day and I got a couple of those races badly wrong. I was very disappointed with Salt Island who looked to me like he was raced off his feet. I doubt he will run over 5f again. Congrats to Steve and Ginge for backing the impressive winner when he was an excellent price. My only consolation is that it went to another 3 year old – just not the one I picked. HP’s two ran well without looking like winning and the lucky last came to my rescue once more with Henry Candy’s horse running well. SDS rode a double at Haydock to close the gap to 6 and it puts me in a good position as my original 25-1 bet is now 9-4.

GH was super impressive and only just failed to stretch that margin to 4 lengths. He now looks to me like a colt who will be at his best at 12f so the KG must be at his mercy. I wouldn’t be so sure about a soft ground Arc in October but as his genius trainer told us, there are plenty more hurdles to be jumped before then. He could well turn out to be one of the best we have seen in years as he still seems to be improving. It is looking like a vintage year for the 3 year olds and I will happily keep backing them.

£2,688.56

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Yet more great racing this week. It never stops with the flat – brilliant!

I love the July meeting and have a couple of bets for the opening day.

I backed Mr Singh last time out and he did me proud almost winning the King Edward at a big price and I expect him to win tomorrow. I wouldn’t put anyone off backing him but I can’t back him at odds on.

In the July Stakes I am struggling to see why John Gosden’s Shalaa is 14-1. He won really well last time on the Rowley Mile and I think he is a big price only because Frankie rides the other one. I think this one could run a big race.

I am a big fan of Gospel Choir and I think he did very well to win off such a long lay off last time. I am sure he has improved a lot for that run and I like 7-2 even though I expect him to drift a bit tomorrow. He’ll drift because Mahsoob is bound to be popular and to be honest it is easy to see why. He looks very progressive and is touted for the King George. But he has only been winning handicaps and this looks a good field tomorrow. I think GC is not far off a Group 1 animal and so he will do for me.

Finally I am loathe to take on Estidkhaar as he looked very good in the Greenham in which it turns out he was beaten by a beast. But he ran so poorly in the Guineas and they blamed the ground. Well the ground will be the same tomorrow and I just don’t think we can trust him enough to back him at 7-4. So I have picked two to run against him. Bossy Guest has done nothing wrong this season and has run two stormers in the Guineas and The Jersey. He has Ryan Moore on board and has to go close. I have also had an ew on Johnny Barnes who ran better than his finishing position last time as he was completely blocked at a vital time. He can only improve for the race and I hope he can run at least into a place.

£25ew Shalaa – 14-1 2.40 Newmarket winner
    £45ew Gospel Choir – 7-2 – 3.15 Newmarket placed
    £50 win Bossy Guest – 11-4 – 5.30 Newmarket loser
    £25ew Johnny Barnes – 9-1 – 5.30 Newmarket non runner

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Haven’t seen any of the racing today but delighted to listen to Shalaa romp home at 14-1!!! Frankie is a great jockey but he is not the best judge and so often picks the wrong horse – that price was ridiculous. A couple of bets tomorrow. I am a big fan of Beshiba and am glad to see her at a nice ew price and I have also been waiting for Euro Charlene to run for a while as I really rate her. I can’t ignore the 3 year old in the race so have backed her as well.

£35ew Beshiba – 6-1 placed
    £35ew Euro Charlene – 12-1 placed
    £70 win Lucida – 11-4 loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Another fav of mine running today at York. Kiyoshi is better than these and had the benefit of a prep a couple of weeks ago. I expect him to go well and am only worried about Hugo Palmers horse .

£50ew Kiyoshi – 6-1 – 2.55 York placed

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£3,112.94

Back over the 3g mark after an excellent couple of days but I have to say I was kicking myself when New Providence won today. She was a 3 year old taking on elders, trained by Hugo Palmer and I had backed her the last twice! Why did I desert her?!!! I thought the ground might be a bit sticky to be honest. My filly ran well but 6f is too short for her now.

On to tomorrow and I have 5 bets in 4 races.

I still think Western Reserve is well handicapped and expect him to go close. I have also backed Snoano in that race as I liked him when I saw him at Ascot and his last run was too bad to be true and he is a very big price.

I think Muhaarar is a beast and should win the July Cup. My friend Space Age runs again at Ascot and he is very progressive and should be hard to beat. And finally I am ultra confident about Arod and can’t believe he isn’t odds on. He is definitely a Group 1 horse in my opinion.

£35ew Western Reserve – 6-1 – 2.00 Newmarket winner
    £20ew Snoano – 18-1 – 2.00 Newmarket loser
    £150 win Muhaarah – 5-2 – July Cup Newmarket winner
    £300 win Arod – 11-4 – Summer Mile Ascot winner
    £80 win Space Age – 11-4 – 5.05 Ascot loser
    £2 win Lucky 30 the above

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.