The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So after a week of long priced tips and a few winners, I hope you’ll forgive me a couple of short-priced bets tomorrow.

I am only betting in the first four races and I fancy the favourites in three of them. In the first you have to like this sister of Misty For Me, Ballydoyle who shaped very well on debut and is named like she must be good. . TAPK is all over this one for the Guineas and The King of Foreskin might have found another one here. I have had a small each way on Johnny G’s Force who also ran with promise first time out and has been backed tonight.

You have to think that Johnny G will win the Wolferton with Mahsoob who looks group class. He won from a mile back last time and could be in a different league to these. I have also had a small each way on Sennockian Star who is still well handicapped.

I had been planning to have a maximum £500 on Telescope tomorrow but such is the form of Stoute I have halved my stake but I still think he will win. I firmly believe he is a much improved horse this year and I think he will prove it by winning this and then the King George. It does look a good race but this horse looks a beast this year and he loves course, distance and likely ground. He is a confident selection despite his trainers poor week.

In the sprint I am going to go against just about everyone else on the forum and bet against the AOB horse. I really like Dermot Weld’s horse Mustajeeb. He has some high class form over a little further and showed that he might be able to at least match that when winning over 6f at the Curragh on his seasonal debut. He won here last year in the Jersey and I think he will finish stronger than anything. The fly in the ointment could be the Aussie horse.

£100 win Ballydoyle – 7-4 – Chesham loser
    £25ew Force – 9-1 – Chesham loser
    £100 win Mahsoob – 15-8 – Wolferton winner
    £20ew Sennockian Star – 12-1 – Wolferton (14’s available with Corals who refuse to take my money) placed
    £250 win Telescope – 5-4 – Hardwicke loser
    £50 ew Mustajeeb – 5-1 – Diamond Jubilee loser
    £10 accumulator and £10 trebles (4 bets) Ballydoyle, Mahsoob, Telescope, Mustajeeb

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A losing day to finish but could have been different with Ballydoyle just getting touched off in the first. A good win for Mahsoob and Sennockian ran very well. Telescope ran like most of the Stoute horses this week (apart from Snow Sky obviously!) and I am kind of glad I “only” put £250 on him as I really fancied him at the beginning of the week. All in all though it was a fantastic week of racing and proves once again why this is the greatest sport in the world!

£1,741.22

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I didn’t Tommy but thats Boz’s fault for not being the judge I had great hopes for.TAPK sometimes comes across as a hard taskmaster but I lead by example.I wont tolerate a flash in the pan poster

I find this harsh Gord. I’ve really laid out time and effort to make a comeback this flat campaign. In ROUND TWO I discovered the winner of next years first classic before anyone else had uttered his name. I had a fantastic Ascot comprising of three big winning days and two not so good. If the amount I’ve put in hasn’t been enough for you then I’m between a rock and a hard place as I certainly get enough grief from ‘er indoors about spending all my time on here :wacko:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Don’t know how to quote properly since the forum’s shake up but from the last post you get the idea :rose:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>The Ante-Post King wrote:</div>

I didn’t Tommy but thats Boz’s fault for not being the judge I had great hopes for.TAPK sometimes comes across as a hard taskmaster but I lead by example.I wont tolerate a flash in the pan poster

I find this harsh Gord. I’ve really laid out time and effort to make a comeback this flat campaign. In ROUND TWO I discovered the winner of next years first classic before anyone else had uttered his name. I had a fantastic Ascot comprising of three big winning days and two not so good. If the amount I’ve put in hasn’t been enough for you then I’m between a rock and a hard place as I certainly get enough grief from ‘er indoors about spending all my time on here :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>thehorsesmouth wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>The Ante-Post King wrote:</div>
    Some of us know who know their stuff and who dont Joni.Brilliant day pal well done!Now lump on Due Diligence at 10/1 for the Diamond jubilee.

Did you see my post on Boz’s thread Gord? Been backing Due Diligence for a few weeks now on Betfair at up to 28’s so I’m just hoping for a clear run. His run in the race last year screams Group 1 sprinter, in comparison the price of the Weld contender looks awfully short to me.

I didn’t Tommy but thats Boz’s fault for not being the judge I had great hopes for.TAPK sometimes comes across as a hard taskmaster but I lead by example.I wont tolerate a flash in the pan poster,I love confidence,I love those who aren’t afraid of ridicule,those who make an Arse of themselves (Joni) but still get up,dust themselves down and battle on.I respect (Ginge) for his consistent approach and for as much as I hate the scattergun effect he makes it work.(THM),you are a good judge,better over the jumps than flat but time is on your side.(Darren) F*** knows what goes through his head but he is a great judge he is.(GDC) is the dark silent but deadly sort who again is a ruthless assassin when betting.(VTC) is a time bomb of Tricast knowledge ticking slowly,waiting to explode again.(Steve Caution) had earned all our respect but sadly suffers from being too sensitive and we cant have a weak link in the DLAPS team.I the legend of Ante-Post betting gets fired up when the big meetings come round because if you dont you fail….’Confidence is King’ now lets go Kick some Ass again today.Good Luck all. B-)

Oh dear Gord, winner gone to your enormous head again. Shame, because in person you come across as a really nice guy. Pity about the other face. Noticed before that when someone happens to get a better price (28/1 opposed to 10/1) you fall out of your pram. :scratch:

No need for the attacks on Boz and Steve. Former isn’t a bad judge at all and is no more a “flash in the pan” than you. Boz at least has “confidence” enough to continue a DLAP thread. Steve, I know is diabetic which can cause mood swings (one way or the other being exaggerated, no fault of his own). Steve is a bloody good judge FULL STOP. He is The Ante-Post-God. You ought to take a blood test too Gord. Why judge people for not being as tough as teak as you?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

[Gingertipster]

Oh dear Gord, winner gone to your enormous head again. Shame, because in person you come across as a really nice guy. Pity about the other face. Noticed before that when someone happens to get a better price (28/1 opposed to 10/1) you fall out of your pram. :scratch:

No need for the attacks on Boz and Steve. Former isn’t a bad judge at all and is no more a “flash in the pan” than you. Boz at least has “confidence” enough to continue a DLAP thread. Steve, I know is diabetic which can cause mood swings (one way or the other being exaggerated, no fault of his own). Steve is a bloody good judge FULL STOP. He is The Ante-Post-God. You ought to take a blood test too Gord. Why judge people for not being as tough as teak as you?
    [/quote]

Ginge I will publicly apologise for my harsh words about Boz as I have always had a soft spot for the lad..Boz knows that and I need say mo more about it. As for Steve Caution it was actually me who told him the first time he had a hissy fit to carry on and establish himself,he did and he is the 2nd funniest poster on here,after me obviously.If his one Ante-Post success (Taghrooda 33/1 Oaks) makes him a God in your eyes then you must have either serious homosexual tendancies or you’ve eaten too many Mars Bars because Nobody in the history of horseracing has an Ante-Post record like mine.What concerns me about you and Steve, is suffering from Mood swings isn’t conducive to betting horses as both are triggers for depression but together they are a timebomb ticking.I suggest you worry about your own health as I sense a touch of DQS coming on..(Drama Queen Syndrome) :whistle:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

:good:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I think we need to clear the air here.

I have stopped posting because of several reasons. None of which are falling out with anybody on this site.

I have several health problems ongoing, diabetes and high blood pressure are the most concerning but, at the moment, arthritis in my hands is giving me trouble with typing. I have chronic sinus problems and a sleep disorder as well.

My wife has cerebral palsy and in 1999 almost died from viral pneumonia. It was a life changing moment for us and it meant that I had to give up work to look after her full-time. It was something I found hard to cope with, not from a perspective of having to give help, because that was something I had already had to do due to the disability she suffered from birth, but because I couldn’t do paid work anymore I felt I wasn’t contributing to society as I should be.

I have been a small time punter since then but still enjoyed the challenge of finding a winner, particularly getting on early at big odds. It is not life or death stuff though and my contributions to this forum were put here for people to take an interest in or ignore as they see fit. I’ll admit that I found the forum less than welcoming to start with, I would say it probably still is lukewarm to new contributors at best but that seems true of most forums really and I probably expected too much too soon. Maybe if I had billed myself as The 12″ Hung Donkey Dick Ante-Post Guru I would have attracted more interest from the start but that’s a moot point now.

Yes, I flew off the handle with Mark first time up and I apologised for that but I have come to feel that, great tipster though he undoubtedly is, he’s just not the most tactful of debaters and tends to ride roughshod over other peoples opinions and gets a bit carried away with the argument, not knowing when it’s best to let it lie. He’s by far the best tipster on this forum, day in day out he finds the winners and although he’s not my style of person, he’s highly respected at what he does in selecting winners. I came to the conclusion that it was best for the forum if he and I did our own thing without comment from the other.

This year my daughter was diagnosed with several lymph nodes in her neck, chest and armpits. Lymphatic Cancer was a possibility but was eventually ruled out, whatever it was, she now has severe asthma and anxiety. We are doing our best to rebuild her confidence slowly. We have inherited her Guinea Pigs, as she is seriously allergic to them now, and that’s more work for us in an already busy day. Just to top it off, my Ginger tom cat Hamish developed diabetes and faced a two injection a day regime, sadly he did not respond to the insulin and his liver failed, he was put to sleep last Monday, purring in my Wife’s arms right up until his last breath.

I tried to look forward to Royal Ascot this past week but couldn’t really get there. Maybe it will pass but I feel I might just be a bit bored with horse racing now. My old shop closed a couple of months ago, times move on and new challenges await.

What I have never had much time for was a competition to see how high up the wall I could urinate compared to any other posters here. There is something a little sad in my opinion about someone who has to project themselves as better than everyone else, no matter how much Beau Geste or Faux Jest it may be in spirit.

I have already been told this year that I don’t know much about horse racing and people can run me down all they want. Sometimes you back ante-post and win but mostly you wont. When you are putting up 25/1, 33/1, 40/1 and 66/1 shots the odds mean you won’t hit it very often but occasionally you do and the measure is about how often you sit there with a good ticket on the day, as to how successful you have been.

In this life you might inherit a crown by birth right, followers could consider you a King in their eyes but you can’t just call yourself a King and expect anybody to believe it. Gordon Wilson obviously has some followers and friends on this forum and is surely a lot more humble in real life than his persona here would suggest. That is all well and good, but I suspect plenty of people who come on here find his style a big turn off.

As far as tipping goes, I am a bit disappointed to see my contribution summed up solely as Taghrooda. There has been an awful lot more than that. I tipped Ruler Of The World at 25/1 and Galileo Rock each-way at 66/1 in the same Derby. Kingman was a narrow loser at 9/1 for me, still a mystery. Just The Judge was second at 20/1, Secret Gesture also placed when I tipped her ante-post at 25/1, lining up much shorter on the day, chinned by a cuddy that nothing afterwards. Excess Knowledge was a long range St Leger poke for me at 25/1 and was highly fancied as time passed. I landed Taghrooda again in the King George ante post and she placed at 14/1 for me in the Arc, Kingston Hill was put up first by myself on this forum at 10/1, later recommended as a maximum 10pt bet at the same odds. Likewise, I was the first person to put up Trading Leather as a 16/1 shot for the Irish Derby, although other posters would later try to make it look like their tip :unsure:

This year saw quite a minefield for ante-post punters but I still regrouped and tipped Gleneagles and Territories to fight out the 2000 Guineas finish. My 1000 Guineas book looked pretty promising with Jellicle Ball at 40/1, Irish Rookie at 66/1 and Fadhayyil at 20/1, I think most years I would probably have collected something from that. This years Oaks saw Star Of Seville ending up as my best looking chance at 14/1 but after the Musidora I knew she wouldn’t stay. The French Oaks proved my eyes were not totally deceiving me. As to the Derby, my main hopes fell away early, Ol’ Man River looks like he has a problem but Highland Reel may yet be something. I studied the race from top to bottom and declared that Golden Horn would win it by three lengths and he surely did so. Jack Hobbs was recommended as the best each-way value post Dante and he lived up to that billing. On the ground, Storm The Stars was recommended as best each-way on the day and taken as the third for tricast punters. It was a highly satisfying 1-2-3 and even more so when it had been said elsewhere that Elm Park would reverse the Dante form with Golden Horn and Jack Hobbs. It seemed a great time to call it a day and I had already posted on the forum that the Derby would be my last throw of the dice. Going into the Derby I said that Storm The Stars and Giovanni Canaletto were my two St Leger horses and that I expected they would enhance their positions in the market for that race without quite being up to winning the Derby. They were 16/1 and 20/1 going into Epsom and both emerged with their odds cut in half. I see Giovanni Canaletto has now been put up at half the odds I suggested and a couple of fillies I mentioned several weeks ago have also appeared as selections now.

I will leave readers to decide for themselves as to whether anyone is interested remotely in who is the King of anything. In terms of life it is diddly squat, zero, nixy, nada, hee-haw.

If there is a quest to prove tipping supremacy it would be better not to put up horses I’ve already selected at twice the odds.

Parting selection for the faithful:-

John Smiths Cup Mount Logan each-way 16/1. Finished well behind Mahsoob at Royal Ascot and Gosden has said that the winner and ante-post favourite for the York race will step up to Group class now.

Off to rest the sore knuckles and get on with life. Be lucky lads and lasses and be nice to one another.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Yes, I flew off the handle with Mark first time up and I apologised for that but I have come to feel that, great tipster though he undoubtedly is, he’s just not the most tactful of debaters and tends to ride roughshod over other peoples opinions and gets a bit carried away with the argument, not knowing when it’s best to let it lie. He’s by far the best tipster on this forum, day in day out he finds the winners and although he’s not my style of person, he’s highly respected at what he does in selecting winners. I came to the conclusion that it was best for the forum if he and I did our own thing without comment from the other.

“Not the most tactful” – Possibly.
    “Tends to ride roughshod over other people’s opinions” – No, I try and point out where I think you/they are wrong. In the end I got the impression you wanted people to agree with you rather than debate. But debate is what the forum is all about. Sometimes, sensitive people see things that aren’t there. You are one of my favourite posters, clearly one of the most knowledgeable punters on here (especially ante-post, as I’ve pointed out numerous times)… And – because of that – I enjoyed debating with you David. Yes, I go on a bit sometimes (am I again? LOL) but you did have to keep bringing up the subject of War Command. ;-) I was happy to forget about it. So may be we were just too similar? Anyway, no hard feelings, will welcome you back any time, hope things improve for you and your family.

All the best for the future.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Well said Steve,you have put a lot of thought into your post and as serious the reasons sound for you leaving you still have that element of humour I admire running through it.I am sorry for offending you as health problems are a matter of life and death,horseracing is just our passion,some of us can get a bit over passionate at times and I am guilty of that.Cheltenham and Royal Ascot are the 2 festivals I spend all year studying for and I train for them like a Prizefighter so I can get a bit irritable,unlike a Boxer I have to have Sex in my training regime.I am keen for you to return and promise not to wind you up again,I have been dangling a Carrot to lure you out but others will have picked up on that as I am a great observer of characters.You are bang on with your appraisal of Ginge by the way,I affectionately think of him as a Ginger Dickhead who rides roughshod over everything,I feel for his partner Arthur who has probably had to sit on an inflatable ring all week such is the tensions in his posts too.Anyway its great to hear from you,I hope you and your families health improve and if you spotted next years Diamond jubilee winner (3yo who ran this week) let us know! Cheers,Gord.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

I am keen for you to return and promise not to wind you up again,I have been dangling a Carrot to lure you out but others will have picked up on that as I am a great observer of characters.

Oh I see! So you only insulted Steve to get him to post again.

:lol:

Keep on telling yourself you’re great at everything Gord, may be one day you’ll even believe it yourself. :whistle: I fear for you when realisation hits that you’re none of those things. It’s a trait of the insecure, needing to put everyone else down in the process.

But then again, am not a great observer of characters like you, so I could be wrong. ;-)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Oh I see! So you only insulted Steve to get him to post again.

:lol:

Keep on telling yourself you’re great at everything Gord, may be one day you’ll even believe it yourself. :whistle: I fear for you when realisation hits that you’re none of those things. It’s a trait of the insecure, needing to put everyone else down in the process.

But then again, am not a great observer of characters like you, so I could be wrong. ;-)
    [/quote]

Before I comment Ginge I thinks its only right and proper to apologise to Joni for hijacking his fantatstic thread,he’ll understand that tensions can get high at this game becuase Monies involved,Real money not silly points…Points make Sweet FA. Anyway any Professional worth their salt has to be confident in their ability, if you have any doubt in any form of life it reflects in ones performance.Football is a great leveller just look at Aston Villa facing the mighty Arsenal in the FA Cup final,that was like you facing me!Negative v Positive.I am the first to praise those that deserve it and the first to point out any misgivings.I have to bow to you though Ginge because I could build a house from scratch,Design,Survey,Quantity survey,dig footings,Concrete,lay bricks,Fix ceiling joist,all Electrics,all plumbing,build internal blockwork Dot n Dab boards,Plaster,fit Roof trusses,lat and felt roof,lay roof tiles,fit windows.Fit internal door surrounds and hang doors,fit extrnal French doors and bi-fold doors,build conservatory,Fit all Fascia Soffit and Gutters,Decorate,fit Kitchen and Worktops with Masons mitres,fit sandstone fireplace and underfloor heating then I’m stuffed Cos I cant lay a carpet for Toffee totally hopeless.I have tried and failed many times…I bow to you pal.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Wow. Haven’t checked the forum for a few days so missed all the fun! It feels a bit like I let a few friends stay at my house while I was away on holiday and come back only to find that they had a huge fight and trashed the joint!

I see Ginge and Gord are back at each others throats and poor old Stevie C has had to come on and clear his name. Why anyone would want to question his ability to find winners is beyond me. He has proved his quality many, many times and was surely a shoo-in for poster of the year this year (he should have won it last year). I too hope that things improve for you and your family and that you can still contribute when you want to. Over the last few years I think we have all had times where we have let the forum invade a bit too much into our lives and that is the main reason I stay away and recharge my batteries over the winter months. I hope you will be back later as well Stevie.

It is SOOOOO much easier to be nasty or blunt or arrogant or opinionated or tactless or rude or insulting when you are just typing on a lap top and every TRF’er I have met has been much nicer in the flesh. I upset someone myself the other day so I know how easy it is to do. I would like to think that the rules are slightly different on DLAP. Not everyone seems to know that we do what we do on here and it almost feels like a smaller. more select forum which I really like. So come on Mark, Gordon and David. We know we are all decent human beings with a shared passion and (I hope) a shared ability to do well at a very difficult thing – making money on horse-racing. If we met face to face we would have a beer and a laugh and would happily debate which horse is going to win the next without insulting each other. We all have different methods, not right, not wrong, just different. Let’s respect our differences and respect each other.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

One bet today in the 7.15 at Newcastle. Covert Love is a filly that I backed last time out and who is definitely going the right way. She steps up in class tonight but has that lovely weight allowance for 3 year olds and I think she will run well.

£35ew Covert Love – 9-2 – Newcastle 7.15 – winner

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Off for the weekend so posting 2 bets now. Jack Hobbs will win the Irish Derby easily. He is a very serious horse and he’ll prove it tomorrow. I also like Code Red in the Group 3 at Newmarket. He won well last time out and get plenty of weight from the 4 year olds. He is also running over his best trip unlike his 2 main rivals.

£400 win Jack Hobbs – 4-5 – Irish Derby winner
    £35 ew Code Red – 9-2 – 3.25 Newmarket loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A really good weekend so far with 2 winners from 3. Covert Love and Code Red were backed because I think the 3 year olds are pretty good this year and I think it will pay to back them against the older horses whilst they receive so much weight. Code Red didn’t win but another 3 year old did!

As for Jack Hobbs – well 10-11 looks a pretty amazing price now doesn’t it? The exciting thing about this horse is that he may well have a good 8-10lbs improvement in him AND he could be even better with some ease in the ground. There are worse Arc bets considering he will be trained specifically for the race, oozes class and gets every yard of the 12f. If he doesn’t win it this year he may well win it next.

£2,223.86

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.