The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s Season 3

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s Season 3

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I wonder if noble mission really has to be at the front? If it’s true then there could be a problem with euphasia or Obrien having a plan with Heffernan to push hall of mirrors along early. Then again can’t get much worse than Ektihaam at chester. Noble mission is the one to side with today at the odds. Although I think if there are no non runners there may be better value to find 3rd place e/w maybe Einsteins folly at 66/1

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Thanks Sam. I am more confident now that the rain has come.

I think it could be a stellar weekend for the Prince as he might just win the 1,000 Guineas as well. He has two great chances and of the two I would side with

Vote Often

who is a proper mudlark and has pretty decent form. I think she might just slog it out better than the others.

£35ew Vote Often – 6-1 Curragh 3.55

Good luck with

Noble Mission

Joni,I admire a man who stays loyal and who’s prepared to take on an O’Brien Hot pot odds-on away from home.I’ve had daft pony e/w on

Heart Focus

with Betfred at 40/1 this morning again purely on loyalty from last year,she caught my eye at Royal Ascot over what I felt was an inadequate trip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Don’t now if you saw the interview with Aidan O’Brien on RTÉ Joni but he sounded far from confident about Magician. Very worried, very worried and very worried again about the ground, and said that they need to run to help the race keep Group 1 status.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Great ride from James Doyle on

Noble Mission

there Joni,Well done,he’s a tough bug*er to get past these days,thats 4 out of 4 for James in Ireland now,all Group 1’s too! Lets see him at Royal Ascot now for the Hardwicke.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well done Joni, a great boost for the stable there. No prisoners were taken in that race and Noble Mission was a tired boy at the end of it.

A good weekend for Lady Cecil.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Great ride from James Doyle on

Noble Mission

there Joni,Well done,he’s a tough bug*er to get past these days,thats 4 out of 4 for James in Ireland now,all Group 1’s too! Lets see him at Royal Ascot now for the Hardwicke.

4 out of 5, he placed on one yesterday afternoon. Well done Joni, 5/2 a super price. Hard to know what the form is worth though with Euphrasia finishing so close behind.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Great shout Joni. I wouldn’t worry too much about the horse tiring there as he was entitled too with the going and stiffness of the track they climb all the way. Group 1 winner roll on Ascot.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks boys. Absolutely delighted for the team and great to hear they are hoisting that flag again. Made me feel quite choked when I heard that!

Just seen the race and it looked like he was going to win by 10 lengths but for tiring in the last half furlong. That’s 4 races on soft ground in a month and Nath is spot on – he was entitled to tire a bit and he’ll be rested now no doubt with maybe the Eclipse as his next target. The bare form looks suspect with that nag finishing so close in 3rd and Magician unsuited by the ground but we are definitely seeing a different horse now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him win more big races. I wouldn’t even worry too much about faster ground. He has a hell of a stride like his big brother and, before this season, had just as good form on decent ground.

This weekend has brought me back into the black and once again it is the Cecil team that I have to thank. It is not the same and will never be but it IS something and they are doing a grand job. I hope they get their rewards with decent patronage from the big owners especially the Prince. Soon there will be a host of Frankel yearlings to assign to trainers and I do hope Warren Place get their fair share.

+£986.79

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

Noble missions cruising speed is unreal did you see hall of mirrors being pushed along early just to keep up :shock:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

You’re right Sam. when they let him stride on he has most of them at it a long way out. The race that really got me taking notice of him was that last one at Chester. There is no way he should have won that race. He was taken on for the lead, forced to go wide round the tight bends and went far too fast yet still found more to fend off Telescope. I heard someone say he could be this years Al Kazeem. So far that is a good comparison I’d say.

It will be interesting to see what happens if he is taken on by a pacemaker (assuming he’ll be running in Gp 1’s now). Will he spit the dummy out again? I have a feeling he’ll be fine as long as he can take over some way out.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

You’re right Sam. when they let him stride on he has most of them at it a long way out. The race that really got me taking notice of him was that last one at Chester. There is no way he should have won that race. He was taken on for the lead, forced to go wide round the tight bends and went far too fast yet still found more to fend off Telescope. I heard someone say he could be this years Al Kazeem. So far that is a good comparison I’d say.

It will be interesting to see what happens if he is taken on by a pacemaker (assuming he’ll be running in Gp 1’s now). Will he spit the dummy out again? I have a feeling he’ll be fine as long as he can take over some way out.

I was impressed that he found more at Chester Joni but the more I see Telescope the more I am thinking I could fend him off myself, giving 6 stone into the bargain, not to mention 40 odd years :shock:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I see what you’re saying Steve but just one more thought – if Noble Mission had retired last year as expected Telescope would now be 2 from 2 this year having won the Gordon Stakes by 9 lengths and the Huxley by 8. He’d probably be odds on for the Arc!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I see what you’re saying Steve but just one more thought – if Noble Mission had retired last year as expected Telescope would now be 2 from 2 this year having won the Gordon Stakes by 9 lengths and the Huxley by 8. He’d probably be odds on for the Arc!

That is a good observation Joni and it shows how different form can look if you take just one horse out of the equation.

I am really pleased for Noble Mission and the stable and I’m not trying to cramp his form. There is just a question that Magician probably wasn’t best suited by the ground and the market certainly gave the wrong vibes for him and the right vibes for Noble Mission. 5/2 looks a huge price in retrospect, so well done for having a maximum bet on.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Cheers Steve. You are right, you can pick holes in the form at the moment so time will tell but he is definitely a different horse now they have changed the tactics.

I always like tomorrows Sandown evening meeting and you normally see some good horses and excellent racing. Unfortunately the ground looks like being heavy this year and we may see a few non-runners. Gord will probably get livid as Johnny G is likely to withdraw Remote and Johnny G is not allowed to withdraw horses due to the ground. :D

Anyway I have had a couple of bets though with smaller stakes than I had planned due to the ground.

I am a big fan of

Brown Panther

and he looks the class horse in the Henry II Stakes. He gets better with age this horse much like my good self and he handles cut well. My only slight worry is that he has run poorly on heavy ground but I think there was another excuse for him that day so I am hoping his class will see him home.

The Brigadier Gerard is always a good race and tomorrow sees the return of Remote who loooked very progressive last year. He would surely take the beating if the ground was anyway near decent but I couldn’t back him after such a long absence on this ground. Hillstar has some very good form and should have had the cobwebs blown off at Chester but I am not sure he will be as happy on this ground as

Sharestan

who loves it. This colt has run fresh 4 times in his life and his figures are 1111. That will do for me and though this is a tougher race they say that he has improved since being gelded.

£50 ew Brown Panther – 4-1 – Sandown 7.15
    £50 win Sharestan – 3-1 – Sandown 7.50
    £25 win Double

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Cheers Steve. You are right, you can pick holes in the form at the moment so time will tell but he is definitely a different horse now they have changed the tactics.

I always like tomorrows Sandown evening meeting and you normally see some good horses and excellent racing. Unfortunately the ground looks like being heavy this year and we may see a few non-runners. Gord will probably get livid as Johnny G is likely to withdraw Remote and Johnny G is not allowed to withdraw horses due to the ground. :D

Anyway I have had a couple of bets though with smaller stakes than I had planned due to the ground.

I am a big fan of

Brown Panther

and he looks the class horse in the Henry II Stakes. He gets better with age this horse much like my good self and he handles cut well. My only slight worry is that he has run poorly on heavy ground but I think there was another excuse for him that day so I am hoping his class will see him home.

The Brigadier Gerard is always a good race and tomorrow sees the return of Remote who loooked very progressive last year. He would surely take the beating if the ground was anyway near decent but I couldn’t back him after such a long absence on this ground. Hillstar has some very good form and should have had the cobwebs blown off at Chester but I am not sure he will be as happy on this ground as

Sharestan

who loves it. This colt has run fresh 4 times in his life and his figures are 1111. That will do for me and though this is a tougher race they say that he has improved since being gelded.

£25 win Double

I was hoping to see Remote again to find out how he has progressed but I am not sure he would appreciate heavy ground. Sharestan would be my pick but for the Godolphin connection. There are signs of life there but some have been disappointing. Perhaps the older horses will be more consistent than the 3yos though. I want to take on Hillstar because he’s had five goes at 10f and has had zero wins. He drops back in trip 3 furlongs from chasing home Brown Panther and although the heavy going would help offset that, the small field could mean a tactical affair and that may not suit a horse who is trading at as low as 15/8. Sharestan looks better value.

I like Brown Panther and have done OK out of him in the past. His form tailed off a bit last year, after a good start, though. I prefer him to Tiger Cliff but have a worry that something like Camborne may have a going day and pop up on this ground, since it looked fast enough for him last time and his best runs have come with cut.

I normally avoid betting when the ground is heavy as it has never proven very successful for me over the years.

I’ll probably just watch, or may go against myself and back Sharestan. I’ll sleep on it! :D

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I am a big fan of

Brown Panther

Sharestan

£25 win Double

The winners flying in at the moment and particularly pleased with Brown Panther. Shows how quickly things can turn around in this game after the disastrous weekend I had the one before last. It’s a funny old game!

Tomorrow I will be watching the 6.40 at Catterick to see how my little mate Robert Dodsworth gets on aboard Balinka. I did a bit of media work with this lad a few months ago and you couldn’t meet a nicer more down to earth lad. He gets very few rides but has plenty of ambition and rides out for Mel Brittain. He had his first ride in ages last week for one of Mel’s and won at 100-1! Rode a great race and Mel has rewarded him with another ride tomorrow on a horse who is SERIOUSLY well handicapped on his best form. Worth a little each way and would love to see this lad get on and do well.

£25 ew Balinka 7-1 6-40 Catterick

£1,549.29

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A good evening of racing there Joni, anxious moments with Sharestan though!

Kicking myself that I talked my way out of backing Brown Panther, having managed to convince myself he might be best at Leger trips. He saw it out well and if he can avoid a repeat of last season, when he tailed off a bit after his opening two wins, he should have a big one in him somewhere.

I had Master Carpenter as my nap and it would have been nice to have stuck the Panther in alongside him.

This Hydrogen finally makes his debut and we will see if two and a half million was wisely invested on this son of Gallileo. Depending on the odds I might take him on with Wonderstruck who was third behind Marsh Daisy, who went on to win the Height Of Fashion at Goodwood. Willie Haggas’s horse will probably be short though.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.