The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s Season 3

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s Season 3

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A horse that took my eye first time out last year was Sir Michael’s

Psychometry

. She didn’t progress quite as I hoped but still ran well in maiden company and I think she has a future. She runs in the Oaks trial today and I’ll have a little interest.

£35 ew 2.15 Chester Psychometry – 7-1

-£632.97

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Not quite 100% confident about the Stoute stable Joni but I would rather back the filly today than Telescope tomorrow.

It is a big day for Telescope with him still being largely a reputation over substance colt. With his seasonal debut under his belt there won’t be much room for excuses at Chester.

It will be interesting to see the tactics because Noble Mission seemed to be suited by making the running and Ektihaam looked much improved for forcing the pace last year, unluckily slipping when well ahead in the Hardwicke. Timeform make him the form pick yet tip Telescope to win and to turn the form around with Noble Mission who is shading favouritism. I’d probably opt for Ektihaam if I can get 4/1 anywhere.

Good luck with your old pal Joni.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Stevie. You are right – an intriguing race. I too was a big fan of Ektihaam. I remember him winning first time out a couple of seasons ago beating Wrotham Heath and looking very impressive. I had him down as future Group 1. Obviously things haven’t gone his way since and he has been off the track quite a while. Still he runs well fresh and must be a player today if fit enough.

You are also right about Telescope. So much has been said about him and it is now time to deliver. However I see the rain continues to fall in Chester and it is already good to soft at 7.45 so there has to be a doubt about him even running.

I am going to stick to my old pal Steve. I know he is not reliable and he may even struggle to lead today with other front runners in the field but I still think he has the potential to be better than Group 3 and he will relish the conditions. He is a very powerful horse and if they have found the key to him he will be hard to beat.

£100 win Noble Mission 11-4 2.15 Chester

-£357.97

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Lady C does it for you again Joni. Be careful, Lady J might be getting jealous. :lol:

Another genuine, prominent display from Noble Mission, who’d of thought it after Newbury? It was Ektihaam who’s temperament wasn’t up to it. Like NM to be put in as a pacemaker in something like the King George and then remain in front. But can’t think of a Prince A 12f horse to be a pacemaker for. :?

Hardwicke is probably next start. After last year – would be nice to see Lady C keep the trophy for another year.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Ektihaam looks a horse to avoid. That is two truly dismal efforts in a row for him. Last year he had an "S" in his formline, which stood for slipped. The last twice his run could have also have been summed up by the letter "S" but this time the letter representing a rather more rustic four-letter word!

A game performance from Noble Mission when it seemed likely the much vaunted Telescope would come through to pick up the pieces in the closing stages. The Channel 4 boys were quick enough to excuse Telescope and give him another chance to show his full merit on faster ground. Good luck to them, but I feel that by the time the "Wedding" actually arrives, there will have been "Four Funerals" along the way.

Be lucky people!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Very funny Stevie! And yes Ginge Lady J should be getting very worried!

I have just watched the race and am really impressed that NM was able to win given that several things went against him. He was taken on for the lead, went off very quickly and was carried out wide, nine times out of ten you would expect a horse like that to fold in the straight but he kept on really well and showed a great attitude. Given that he was also giving Telescope 3lb’s I find it hard to imagine the form being turned around.

Huge congratulations should go to Lady C and her team. They have done something very important today. They have IMPROVED a Sir Henry Cecil horse. That could be very significant for their stable especially as it is one of the Prince’s. She has shown that she CAN be relied upon to train good horses. I am very pleased for her.

As for NM well it must surely be onwards and upwards. What is interesting is we still don’t really know how good these last two performances have been. People seem to be assuming that Telescope is not running to his best (see the RP review of the race) yet by all accounts he is a bigger, stronger, more relaxed horse this year. Ektihaam might not have run to his best but is there any reason to doubt that the rest did? Danadana was beaten 10 lengths. WHAT IF Telescope HAS improved but just run into what is now a very good horse? WHAT IF these new tactics have completely transformed the horse and he can now be relied on? We could now be looking at a Group 1 horse. That would be a nice surprise for a horse that didn’t even get into the list for the TTTF this year……. :roll:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Not the easiest day today with some trappy races around and rain in the air making conditions unpredictable. So the perfect day to have the most bets I’ve had this year! :lol:

I have been looking forward to seeing

Hamelin

run again this year as I think he looked very progressive last year. I am certain that his knee action is crying out for some give and I know Richard Hughes really likes him.

Another progressive sort is

Pethers Moon

and I think he is a rock solid each way bet. He ran really well in the Jockey Club Stakes and this looks slightly easier to me.

A maiden winner that impressed me last year was

Queen’s Prize

who looked like she would really appreciate a step up in trip this year. It is a good race but she is a backable price now so I’ll have a little bit of fun.

Finally Aiden O’Brien has been mopping up the trials this week and I expect him to take another one with

Mekong River

. He got better and better last year until they ran him once too often in the Criterium. Again he is a rock solid each way bet.

£50 win Hamelin – 5-2 2.05 Ascot

£35 ew Pether’s Moon – 9-2 -2.40 Ascot

£25 ew Queens Prize – 5-1 – 2.20 Lingfield

£25 ew Mekong River – 9-2 – 2.55 Lingfield

-£501.97

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I am expecting Sir Michael to have a good day at York today. He may well have a treble and i’ll back two of them.

Gospel Choir won a very good Jockey Club Stakes fto and, if he stays, he must have a big chance.

Radiator was a bit over-hyped last year but her 4th in the Oh So Sharp Stakes looks quite good now with the first two folling the first two places in the Guineas.

£35ew Gospel Choir – 9-2

£35ew Radiator – 4-1

£20win double

-£321.97

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Up until 50 yards out in Radiator’s race I thought I had called it exactly right today. Still a nice profit on the day and I hope to be in the black very soon.

Looking at tomorrow I have ew 3 bets at the moment.

I have to take on Olympic Glory in the big one. The ground is drying all the time and he has fitness to prove. He also throws in the odd bad run. I prefer his stablemate. I have always liked this horse and I am sure he will turn the form around with Tulius from Sandown where conditions were against him. He might not win but he is good ew value.

Sky Hunter’s last run was too bad to be true and I expect to see a completely different animal on this better ground.

Dorothy B looked progressive last year and her run in the Nell Gwyn can be ignored as she was virtually brought down.

So:

£25ew Montiridge 8-1
    £35ew Sky Hunter 11-2
    £50ew Dorothy B 5-1

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Lady Cecil has made a solid start to her big year. A 29% strike rate and most importantly the horses so far seem to be running consistently well.

I think she has 3 good chances today and I’ll be backing two of them.

Tacticus has a Derby and King George entry and was expected to win his maiden at Thirsk. To be honest he ran a bit of a stinker after playing up down at the start but I am hoping that was just a bit of freshness and we’ll see a better horse today. It is interesting that they are sending him to this very good maiden when they could have aimed him at a smaller track. He is a good ew price.

A horse that showed a lot of promise last year was Sea Meets Sky. She was put in her place by Elkayed last time out and then was not seen again but she looked potentially useful and she runs tonight of a mark of 89. I think she is capable of winning off that mark against a fav that looks quite exposed to me.

£40ew Tacticus 10-1 1.30 Newbury

£80 win Sea Meets Sky 11-4 7.30 Doncaster

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Joni, Joyeuse is entered at Haydock on Saturday in the Cecil Frail stakes. This is a six furlong Listed race and should be a drop in class for her after the 1000 Guineas. She didn’t make much impression at Newmarket but dropped in grade and distance she would appeal if we can be sure she has trained on.

Early betting puts her in at 11/2 with steady sprinter Spinatrix the 4/1 favourite. Ryan Moore is given as the jockey for Joyeuse and I think I’ll take a punt on her in a do or die effort before giving up on her.

11/2 Betfred, no others have prices as I write.

Happy punting!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Up until 50 yards out in Radiator’s race I thought I had called it exactly right today. Still a nice profit on the day and I hope to be in the black very soon.

Looking at tomorrow I have ew 3 bets at the moment.

I have to take on Olympic Glory in the big one. The ground is drying all the time and he has fitness to prove. He also throws in the odd bad run. I prefer his stablemate. I have always liked this horse and I am sure he will turn the form around with Tulius from Sandown where conditions were against him. He might not win but he is good ew value.

Sky Hunter’s last run was too bad to be true and I expect to see a completely different animal on this better ground.

Dorothy B looked progressive last year and her run in the Nell Gwyn can be ignored as she was virtually brought down.

So:

£25ew Montiridge 8-1

£35ew Sky Hunter 11-2

£50ew Dorothy B 5-1

-£701.97

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Joni, Joyeuse is entered at Haydock on Saturday in the Cecil Frail stakes. This is a six furlong Listed race and should be a drop in class for her after the 1000 Guineas. She didn’t make much impression at Newmarket but dropped in grade and distance she would appeal if we can be sure she has trained on.

Early betting puts her in at 11/2 with steady sprinter Spinatrix the 4/1 favourite. Ryan Moore is given as the jockey for Joyeuse and I think I’ll take a punt on her in a do or die effort before giving up on her.

11/2 Betfred, no others have prices as I write.

Happy punting!

Thanks Steve – will definitely be getting involved. The ease in conditions will suit as well I think.

Last weekend was about as bad as it gets. All my horses came last! Disastrous!

So tomorrow:

£75ew Joyeuse – 5-1 Haydock

£50ew Pearl Secret – 7-2 Temple Stakes Haydock

-£280.71

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

The one I am really looking forward to though is Noble Mission on Sunday. I think it will prove an inspired decision to supplement him for this Group 1 as he only seems to have 1 credible opponent in Magician. I have plenty of respect for that one but Noble Mission is running like a top class horse now they have changed the tactics and the ground will be perfect for him as well. I expect him to win well and will be having a maximum on him.

£500 win Noble Mission – 5-2 Tattersalls Gold Cup – Curragh

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Lovely win for Joyeuse today. Starting to show her class. Delighted for the Warren Place team who are showing there are still a force to be reckoned with. All systems go for NM tomorrow!

samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

Good luck with noble mission tommorow.
    Im going to look at the race in the morning :D

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Sam. I am more confident now that the rain has come.

I think it could be a stellar weekend for the Prince as he might just win the 1,000 Guineas as well. He has two great chances and of the two I would side with

Vote Often

who is a proper mudlark and has pretty decent form. I think she might just slog it out better than the others.

£35ew Vote Often – 6-1 Curragh 3.55

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.