The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 346 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£50ew Aiken – 4-1

£75 win Gregorian – 4-1

£25win double the above

A nice winner but I could have kicked myself with that Royal Empire as he looked good beating Al Waab last time. Aiken will improve for the run and a step back up in trip.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Totally agree with you about John Gosden Joni. Top trainer and orator and all round good bloke. Remember his comments after Rewilding’s death / Nathaniel’s King George win, explained the whole situation perfectly.

He’s taken a while this year to hit top speed, but going great guns now. Gregorian sadly only a saver for me today, but Thomas Hobson was a main bet in the 4:25.

One other trainer that may pay to follow in the next couple of weeks Joni is Ed Dunlop. Poor season so far, but probably got some well handicapped horses because of it. Horses who couldn’t get anywhere near the winners enlosure last time out – may well turn up as big priced winners!

Nice to see you’re still in good form yourself Joni.

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Totally agree with you about John Gosden Joni. Top trainer and orator and all round good bloke. Remember his comments after Rewilding’s death / Nathaniel’s King George win, explained the whole situation perfectly.

He’s taken a while this year to hit top speed, but going great guns now. Gregorian sadly only a saver for me today, but Thomas Hobson was a main bet in the 4:25.

One other trainer that may pay to follow in the next couple of weeks Joni is Ed Dunlop. Poor season so far, but probably got some well handicapped horses because of it. Horses who couldn’t get anywhere near the winners enlosure last time out – may well turn up as big priced winners!

Nice to see you’re still in good form yourself Joni.

Thanks Ginge. Always good to read your comments – there is nobody on here that knows there stuff more than you mate. Great comments about Ed Dunlop – his form over the last week or so has been superb and he could have had a couple today as well but hit the crossbar. I am a firm believer in following trainers in form so will certainly keep an eye out.

Well done on your form over the last few weeks as well. Goodwood was certainly Glorious for you!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

What a race we have in store tomorrow. I haven’t looked forward to a race more since You Know Who was around. It has added spice for me as I am still in with a shout in the TTTF but need results like tomorrow to go my way. Strangely although Toronado is my star horse I need him to lose as almost everyone else has him. I also have Al Kazeem and Dec of War and I will be hoping they finish 1 and 2 as they did in the Eclipse.

I have been reading the comments next door on Gord’s thread and am pleased to report that I disagree with most of them.

Lets start with the Bolger horse. I don’t see where he has shown the sort of form to beat two top quality Group 1 horses over 10f. He is consistent, he is tough but he is simply not good enough and is unlikely to have improved at this stage of the season. He can’t win this and if he can’t then neither can Hillstar. Both of these horses are suffering from the fact that there is not another Group 1 mile and a half race after the KG and their connections really don’t have much choice.

Declaration of War has been chucked at everything this season as the stable don’t have anything else and must have runners in races like this. It is a shame because I think he could have run well here if he was a bit fresher. He’ll certainly like the ground much more than he did at Goodwood and I can see him finishing closer to Toronado this time.

Toronado is an awesome horse and he is still on the upgrade. He could win this easily if he stays and.or if it gets very tactical. They always had him marked down as a horse who would get a trip and his breeding gives him a chance. BUT there is no getting away from the fact that this race is an afterthought and I never fancy horses who run in races as an afterthought. If Olympic Glory hadn’t run so well last week they would not have come near York with this horse and they had no intention of stepping him up until next year. It may end up not mattering and he may just be too classy but he is up against a superb horse in Al Kazeem and will surely have his stamina tested to the max. I think he will come up short.

It always amazes me how people want to knock great horses. I have read people on here and other sites saying they don’t rate

Al Kazeem

and think he has been fortunate to win some soft Group 1 races. This is just not how I see it at all. This horse has been campaigned superbly and I don;t just mean this year but throughout his career. They have been patient and have given him time to develop into what he is now – a multiple Group 1 winner. He has all the boxes ticked as far as I am concerned. He settles, he stays, he will love the galloping track and long straight and he goes on the ground. The formlines suggest there is very little between the top two – AL Kazeem beat DOW by 2 lengths to Toronados 3 but, as I said earlier, DOW was unsuited by the soft ground at Goodwood and was paddling in the last 100 yards. I know Toronado wasn’t exactly at home on it but I think he coped with it better than DOW. Besides a line through Mars has Al K coming out a length on top so all in all I think there is very little in the formbook to separate them. The big difference is that one is absolutely certain to love every yard of the trip whereas the other certainly isn’t.

Whatever happens it should be a great race and tactics will of course also play their part. I expect TL to take them along at a decent pace – surely it is the only way HE can win, with AL K tucked in just behind with DOW and Hillstar and Toronado in rear. AL K will take it up two out and stretch away. Toronado will come into it on the bridle but what happens then? For me he won’t get past.

So I’ll wait for AK to drift further and grab the 2’s tomorrow. :wink:

Elsewhere on the card I like

Secret Number

in the Voltigeur. He was an eyecatcher last time out and is a really powerful looking colt. With doubts over the fav I think 5-1 is a decent ew bet.

£50ew Secret Number – 3.05 York

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

It’s not much of an afterthought as Olympic Glory only ever runs in France, I hear they have built him a bungalow over there in preparation for his next race the Prix Du Moulin. :lol:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Perhaps Nath but if OG had finished plum last in France I don’t think The Big T would be lining up today.

I can’t let

Homeric

go unbacked after last time. He has only gone up 2lbs so should still be there or therabouts.

£25ew Homeric – 13-2 – 4.20 York

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

I think you could be right Joni but another thought process is the QE11 is a long way off and the ground could of gone against Toronado by then so perhaps whilst the sun shines it’s a chance to make hay. Dettori is on standby waiting for Hughes to mess up so to steal the ride for his new boss so Hughes must be even more confident than usual as he was the most keenest to go for it.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£25ew Homeric – 13-2 – 4.20 York

Given far too much to do and is turning out to be an unlucky horse for me. When I don’t back him he wins!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£50ew Secret Number – 3.05 York

Ran well enough but not well enough!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well that was a strange one wasn’t it? My old mate Dec of War completely turning the Eclipse form on its head and running an incredible race for a horse that has been campaigned as heavily as he has.

I wouldn’t want to comment too much on Toronado until we know more but it is interesting that his two poor races this year were when he had short gaps between his races.

Trading Leather was tough as old boots as expected and they will be hoping it stays dry in Ireland for their Champion when that uphill finish will play to his strengths. I thought Al Kaz took him on a bit early, probably because James Doyle wanted to sap Toronad’s stamina. He might well have got second if he had waited with him. Let’s not give up on this horse as he will be a different proposition on softer ground.

Tomorrow will be all about the Yorkshire Oaks for me. Obviously I would love to see one of Lady Cecil’s win it but I am not going to allow my heart to rule my head. I am sure Wild Coco won’t run as the ground is far too quick for her. If they DO run her it will simply be because they are running out of time in pursuit of that Group 1 but I can’t be backing her.

They were very disappointed with Riposte in the Irish Oaks and they are expecting a huge run from her tomorrow. But TQ has chosen WC and, even if he does end up riding her, I take that as a big hint. The Fugue clearly has a huge chance if she can bounce back from that poor run lto when she scoped badly but I have a feeling there is a standout horse in the race.

Venus De Milo has improved with every run and I was very impressed with lto. The further she went the better she looked and tomorrow’s long straight will really suit her. I think she may turn out to be a really classy filly and I have backed her to win.

£200 win Venus De Milo – 11-4 – 3.40 York

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I reckon you’ll be kicking yourself tomorrow Joni as I can see

Riposte

running a massive race myself :wink: She’s got to be better than her Irish Oaks effort, and Tom Queally or no Tom Queally she’d be where my money would be at.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Riposte

running a massive race myself :wink: She’s got to be better than her Irish Oaks effort, and Tom Queally or no Tom Queally she’d be where my money would be at.

In many ways I hope you are right Boz!

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Riposte

Well the class act in the race really put us in our place there Joni. Results like that can really make a mug of us sometimes :oops: It was good to see

The Fugue

at her imperious best today though and show that there were definitely valid excuses for the season’s earlier misdemeanours. This

Riposte

is getting a hard one to fathom out however. I can tell from previous runs that there’s a genuine group 1 filly just itching to get out somehow, but her last two runs have been far from spectacular. Maybe we’ll just have to wait until next year to see her truly blossom as a top class racemare. I haven’t given up on her yet.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Double post

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Riposte

Well the class act in the race really put us in our place there Joni. Results like that can really make a mug of us sometimes :oops: It was good to see

The Fugue

at her imperious best today though and show that there were definitely valid excuses for the season’s earlier misdemeanours. This

Riposte

is getting a hard one to fathom out however. I can tell from previous runs that there’s a genuine group 1 filly just itching to get out somehow, but her last two runs have been far from spectacular. Maybe we’ll just have to wait until next year to see her truly blossom as a top class racemare. I haven’t given up on her yet.

Couldn’t agree more Boz. Riposte looked very unbalanced to me and it looked for the world as though she was feeling the ground. Let’s give her another chance on an easier surface.

You don’t see Group 1’s won that easily that often do you? Absolutely superb performance from the winner who always had that in her I suppose. I hear she may even take on the colts in the Arc. If the ground were quick you wouldn’t discount her. VDM ran a blinder chasing that fast pace and I think she will win Group 1’s especially if they keep her in training next year. I just hope her trainer doesn’t rush her or muck her up like he does so many.

Also gutted to see the rain fall 24 hours too late for Wild Coco (and you could argue AL K) and it also won’t help Tickled Pink in today’s Nunthorpe. I haven’t a clue who will win that.

The only horse I came close to backing today runs in the 2.10 Newmarket and is Sir Michael’s

Psychometry

. She took the eye of many last time out and must surely win today. I have had a look to see if I can find any classic prices but nobody has her quoted. I think that will change after today. Unfortunately she is odds on rather than the forecast 5-2 so I’ll just be watching.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£200 win Venus De Milo – 11-4 – 3.40 York

Total £2,060.10

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A couple of small bets tomorrow.

I will be disappointed if

Tiger Cliff

doesn’t go close in the Ebor. He has been laid out for this since Royal Ascot and a 4lb rise since that race looks manageable. The rain won’t have hurt his chances either.

Al Waab

could make it a good day for Lady Cecil in the Group race at Windsor. He returned to form last time out beaten only by a very good Godolphin horse that won a Group 3 easily next time out. He has Planteur to beat but you never know with that one.

I also like

Thistle Bird

in the Celebration Mile. She ran a stormer last time out and again a bit of rain won’t hurt. I have also backed

Stipulate

each way purely and simply because I would be furious if he won and I didn’t back him for once and he normally gets placed.

£50ew Tiger Cliff – 7-1 – Ebor
    £35ew Al Waab – 6-1 – 6.40 Windsor
    £50 win Thistle Bird – 7-2 – Celebration Mile
    £25 ew Stipulate – 11-1 – Celebration Mile

Viewing 17 posts - 273 through 289 (of 346 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.