The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni’s Poni’s – season 2

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 346 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So I write to you as the proud father of a little boy born yesterday morning after three days of hell for my poor wife! 9lbs 7oz is a helluva lump to push out but she did it and we couldn’t be happier!

Racing has obviously taken a back seat but there are a couple of races this weekend that I will be looking forward to. The Jaques Le Marios looks a cracker tomorrow, I hope to see CDA resume winning ways today and there is also the next big thing running at Haydock. Apart from that non-event at Ascot, plenty to look forward to.

I want to take on Telescope. I fully appreciate he won his last start by 24 lengths and works like a champion but I think he is up against a smart rival today in

Noble Mission

who looks a big price at 7-1 in what is otherwise a very winnable race. I really think it is too early to be proclaiming Telescope as the next Frankel after just that one eyecatching performance against two very mediocre horses. If he wins by 10 lengths today then fine but until he does I remain doubtful. Noble Mission is very quirky and difficult to win with BUT he does always runs his race and he will certainly give the fav a race and a good benchmark as to how good he actually is. A nice each way bet in other words.

£50ew Noble Mission – 7-1 – Haydock 2.55

Right logic, wrong horse. Though why TQ is missing the break so much at the moment is beyond me. Take a look at the comments in running for the last two months and you will see the words "missed break" or "slowly away" more than half the time! The horse must have lost 5 lengths at the start!

Telescope ran well enough considering he needed a career best to win.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Telescope went off a silly price today and proved that a 24 length win in a three runner egg and spoon race is not to be trusted implicitly. I thought Ultrasonic was short enough as well considering she is on a losing run stretching back over a year.

There was a lot of faith behind Wahgah in the opener at Newmarket today but it was not vindicated. The unraced Godolphin 2yo went off 10/11 favourite, which seemed very surprising with John Gosden and Richard Hannon newcomers among the opposition. In the end Wahgah was only 5th as Gosden’s Night Song finished strongly to win a shade cosily. Interesting to see this winner starting at 7f, given that he looks sprint bred on both sides of the pedigree.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Congratulations to you all Joni :D

If there is no mention of Frankel then Henry Richard Amherst Cecil might be on the cards

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Congratulations to you all Joni :D

If there is no mention of Frankel then Henry Richard Amherst Cecil might be on the cards

Thanks BM – "Henry" is certainly under consideration as a middle name!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So time to nail my colours to a mast. I am a huge fan of Intello and hope to see him prove himself a champion today. His trainer is a true genius and, unlike many of his rivals, this race has been the plan for a while now. The furious pace will suit him and I expect him to mow down Dawn Approach in the last 50 yards. He is just about backable so I’ll play for small stakes and the enjoy what should be a great race.

£100 win Intello – 5-2 – 2.45 Deauville

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So time to nail my colours to a mast. I am a huge fan of Intello and hope to see him prove himself a champion today. His trainer is a true genius and, unlike many of his rivals, this race has been the plan for a while now. The furious pace will suit him and I expect him to mow down Dawn Approach in the last 50 yards. He is just about backable so I’ll play for small stakes and the enjoy what should be a great race.

£100 win Intello – 5-2 – 2.45 Deauville

Beaten but he ran a cracker and will be hard to beat over middle distances. Wasn’t it a shame watching poor old Dawn Approach? I can’t help thinking a horse like that needs a proper trainer not someone who just grinds his horses into the dirt.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Congratulations on the new addition to the family :)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks THM! He now has a name! Theo – pronounced Tay-O!

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Congratulations Joni, only just read your news so sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake. All the best mate, many sleepless nights ahead I’m sure :)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Congratulations Joni, only just read your news so sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake. All the best mate, many sleepless nights ahead I’m sure :)

Thanks Boz!!

Ouch!!! That bloody Mango Diva that I have backed all season!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So extended nappy duties have stopped me getting the prices on two Cecil horses I really fancy tomorrow. I will be at Newmarket with the twins to give the wife a bit of a breather and I expect to see both

Flow

and

Morpheus

win.

Flow looked a decent prospect at the end of last year and his maiden win worked out very well. He has clearly had a few problems but has been the subject of glowing reports on the gallops in the last few weeks (he leaves Disclaimer for dead apparently) and I think he will prove to be very well handicapped.

Morpheus had no luck in running last time but Frankel’s brother is certainly better than an 85 handicapper and he should enjoy Newmarket’s long straight. Both have been heavily backed tonight but confidence is high so I’ll have a couple of decent bets and double them up.

£200 win Flow – 7-2 – Newmarket 2.40
    £200 win Morpheus – 7-4 Newmarket 4.50
    £100 win double

Total £2,285.04

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Joni, Regarding your old pal Retirement Plan. I have been keeping an eye on the race where he finished 10th to Remote and the form of it had been stacking up exceptionally well. For some time now I have been waiting for the 3rd that day, Michael Stoute’s Russian Realm to appear. Today was the first day I haven’t checked the runners and, of course, out she comes and wins at 5/2. Just to rub it in, the 11th in the race, Strawberry Jam, won at 5/1 later today!!

Typical irony and the race has now seen 12 wins from 10 out of the 15 horses who took part.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th have all won and the horse who was 8th, Luca Cumani’s Saskatchewan, has not run since. I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if he can add to winning total from the Newbury maiden also remarkable for seeing a John Gosden trained future Royal Ascot Gp 3 winner successful at 25/1

Fantasy Island material.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Joni, Regarding your old pal Retirement Plan. I have been keeping an eye on the race where he finished 10th to Remote and the form of it had been stacking up exceptionally well. For some time now I have been waiting for the 3rd that day, Michael Stoute’s Russian Realm to appear. Today was the first day I haven’t checked the runners and, of course, out she comes and wins at 5/2. Just to rub it in, the 11th in the race, Strawberry Jam, won at 5/1 later today!!

Typical irony and the race has now seen 12 wins from 10 out of the 15 horses who took part.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th have all won and the horse who was 8th, Luca Cumani’s Saskatchewan, has not run since. I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if he can add to winning total from the Newbury maiden also remarkable for seeing a John Gosden trained future Royal Ascot Gp 3 winner successful at 25/1

Fantasy Island material.

Probably the maiden of the season Steve. I really like Retirement Plan and I believe they are running him next week at York though not in the Voltigeur. Do you use Horse Tracker on the RP website. It basically alerts you every time one of your horses is entered. I find it useful.

Was at Newmarket today and saw some lovely horses. The twins loved it and we picked 4 winners!

The Hannon 2 year old in the 1st was why I love going racing. He really stood out from all the other 2 year olds in the paddock and won easily.

Flow looked a picture but lacked a bit of sharpness. He’ll be winning before long but the winner looked nice as well.

The Godolphin horse won as he liked but it was a terrible race.

Probably the horse of the day was Seek Again who won despite a huge lay off and looking like he would improve a lot for the run. Definite pattern class next year.

Morpheus had changed so much since I saw him last year with Gord. He is much bigger colt now but still very green in the prelims throwing his head about and getting worked up. I was pleased he won but it was very workmanlike. I expect him to fulfil his potential next year when he has had a chance to grow into his frame and calm down a bit. Still he was the horse we had come to see and the twins were cheering him to the rafters. We got a photo with Tom because "he rode Frankel" and they even got a smile out of Ryan Moore! Miracles DO happen!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£200 win Flow – 7-2 – Newmarket 2.40

£200 win Morpheus – 7-4 Newmarket

£100 win double

Total £2,335.04

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Whilst we are on the subject of Retirement Plan another horse went into the notebook from his last race at Glorious Goodwood.

Northern Meeting

looked a huge danger approaching the furlong pole but her run flattened out and she faded to 6th. She is very well bred and I reckon she will run well tomorrow off 77 and a furlong shorter. At 5’s she has to be a decent ew bet.

£50 ew Northern Meeting – 5-1 – 3.00 Nottingham

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Whilst we are on the subject of Retirement Plan another horse went into the notebook from his last race at Glorious Goodwood.

Northern Meeting

looked a huge danger approaching the furlong pole but her run flattened out and she faded to 6th. She is very well bred and I reckon she will run well tomorrow off 77 and a furlong shorter. At 5’s she has to be a decent ew bet.

£50 ew Northern Meeting – 5-1 – 3.00 Nottingham

Not good enough!

Just watched TQ miss the break YET AGAIN on Continuum who ten gets beat a neck! What is he playing at?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

For me there are not many better trainers around than Johnny Gosden and I think his popularity is increasing as he becomes more and more a fixture of the flat racing scene. Certainly there is nobody more eloquent and articulate than him and when he speaks I often think "I bet he would make a good dad!" – so wise and knowing and sensible.

So he better win for me today after those kind words!!!!

I am backing his two in the big races at Newbury.

Gosden is right up there with Cecil and Stoute when it comes to doing the right thing by a horse and you have seen that all year with

Aiken

. This horse has been ready to run for months but they have waited for the rain that has finally fallen at Newbury. I think he is a class apart from the rest and, whilst he may lack a little sharpness, I as sure he will be ready to run a big race. At 4’s he is worth an ew anyway.

I am after taking on the fav in the Hungerford and I think

Gregorian

might be the one to be on. He has been taking on the best all year and, although he has been well beaten, he has run with credit especially in the Queen Anne. The easier ground should be to his advantage and I expect him to go close. I’ll do a cheeky Johnny G double as well!

£50ew Aiken – 4-1 Geoffrey Freer Stakes
    £75 win Gregorian – 4-1 Hungerford Stakes
    £25win double the above

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 346 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.