The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John McCririck

Home Forums Horse Racing John McCririck

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

I think Big Mac is a racing man who cocks up occasionally with his opinions, but at least it his opinion, not like that "author" Francome who makes Trevor Brooking appear positively opinionated.. :?

Also, I am still receiving Therapy after witnessing Willie Carson’s pathetic attempts on BBC. If a further contract is offered to this man who doesn’t even recall horses’ names (and he bred them..), I am afraid I will have to accept medical advice and take up a lengthy stay in an award winning Nut House… :(

regards,

doyley

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Not having a go at you Underscore but I feel this forum really is in danger of descending into an ‘anti Big Mac’ forum.

Is it really necessary to start a new thread every time Big Mac says something that people don’t agree with, or even agree with for that matter? The guy gets more criticism than anyone else from members of this forum and I personally believe a man that has been in the business for so long, and has sole intentions of improving racing (whether he comes across that way or not) deserves a lot more respect.

With regards to what he said about Jim Bolger then I think I’m right in saying that I’ve read very similar comments on this forum in recent days – maybe not as strong, but similar has been said. I don’t see any threads asking for comments on (forum members name) anti Irish stance

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Don’t watch the Morning Line these days, but I do think it is rather a different platform and audience to this forum, Mike!

Hardly fair to equate the two.

Colin

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Hey MikkyMo good to see you back, haven’t seen you on for a while. hope all is well :D I never seen it so can’t really comment but if he has his view guess he is paid to air it.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

"maybe not as strong" I think thats the point here Mike…. personally i can’t stand the man and imho he does nothing but harm for racing…. but that aside in his position with a "prime time" audience….should he be allowed to keep coming out with such rubbish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I am certainly not going to slag off big Mac. He is what he is, I suppose – and no one is going to change him, that’s for sure. He is probably the main reason why channel 4 racing became so popular with the viewing public – especially during the 80s.

However, I did notice a little bit of tension between him and Jim McGrath on the Morning line today. I think the big man is hurting inside after having his hours cut.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 233

big mac says what he thinks.and i get used to it, and i dont think bad or good about him i dont get upset on what he says.and i cant understand why any one else should .you can find better information on the net.and on the TRF

• Total Posts 1415

I like Big Mac. At least the guy says what he thinks and doesn’t just say what he’s supposed to say like some sort of puppet.

I don’t agree with everything he says by any means but the idea that he is bad for racing I think is totally untrue.

I find him funny at times. Maybe some people are guilty of taking him too seriously?

I’d rather have Big Mac than practically any of the remainder of the channel 4 team, Richard Hoiles and Simon Holt excepted.

• Total Posts 1800

i’m hardly well qualified to play holier than thou and the main thing i dislike about mac’s style is his seeming offensiveness when talking to barry dennis as i don’t think it’s necessary or adds anything positive to the interviews or racing. it’s one thing to have different opinions but when we resort to adding words such as ‘fat’ or ‘ugly’ to the discussions, where will it all end up, is it now acceptable to just label people as you see them with beer-brains – fat so-and-so, ugly so-and-so, queer so-and-so, black so-and-so, etc ?

you can see where this could go and it ain’t good

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Mac does have good qualities.

Once when the BHB did a promo leaflet to get people coming racing he complained because the leaflet only had white people on it and he said that racing is open to anyone of any colour.

Also one time at Windsor he was interviewing a black actress who was in the Bill i think and asked if she suffered any racism on the course and thankfully she said no.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I’m sure me calling him Fat Mac is much worse than utter tosh we heard from him today.
    I honestly can’t believe that people actually think he is good for racing. Any non-racing fans that i know are very much of the opinion that he’s a major turn-off, and that view was backed up by what people thought of him on Celeb BB. The quicker he’s removed from tv the better.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"He is probably the main reason why channel 4 racing became so popular with the viewing public – especially during the 80s."

Nah!, I think it was the racing, Himself! :wink:

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

"He is probably the main reason why channel 4 racing became so popular with the viewing public – especially during the 80s."

Nah!, I think it was the racing, Himself! :wink:

Colin

Granted, there was also that side show too, :wink: :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

i’m hardly well qualified to play holier than thou and the main thing i dislike about mac’s style is his seeming offensiveness when talking to barry dennis as i don’t think it’s necessary or adds anything positive to the interviews or racing. it’s one thing to have different opinions but when we resort to adding words such as ‘fat’ or ‘ugly’ to the discussions, where will it all end up, is it now acceptable to just label people as you see them with beer-brains – fat so-and-so, ugly so-and-so, queer so-and-so, black so-and-so, etc ?

you can see where this could go and it ain’t good

Come on Simon it is just banter between two friends. One of my best friends is Welsh and I always call him you "Stupid Welsh *******" and he always calls me a "fat Sassenach Git" nobody is offended by it – it’s just a term of endearment.

It needs to be remembered with Big Mac that his on screen persona is also very different from his off screen persona, where he is actually quite quiet and keeps himself to himself.

• Total Posts 1415

I’m sure me calling him Fat Mac is much worse than utter tosh we heard from him today.
    I honestly can’t believe that people actually think he is good for racing. Any non-racing fans that i know are very much of the opinion that he’s a major turn-off, and that view was backed up by what people thought of him on Celeb BB. The quicker he’s removed from tv the better.

With respect your circle of friends aren’t the voice of a nation. A dissenting voice is always going to be the loudest voice – thats nature.

Big Mac has done a lot for racing and there are easily as many pro Macians as anti Macians.

Women racegoers the other day on RUK were rushing to have their photo taken with him, he is a "face of racing". Those women were ordinary women in the street not regular racegoers but they were attracted by the image and charisma of John McCririck.

I’d miss him if he were "removed from TV". Racing and C4 in particular suffer from his absense, The Morning Line and C4 betting ring is dull and lifeless without him.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Deleted – posted twice – having problems with my connection hanging!!!

• Total Posts 772

Hi gang 8)

Big Mac is a small minded, petty moron. I wouldn’t give him air time.

kisses from
    carlisle

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 258 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.