The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jockeys and Mobile Phones

Home Forums Horse Racing Jockeys and Mobile Phones

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Trickmeister
    Participant
    • Total Posts 96

As an addendum to my racing experience, can anyone tell me the gist of the rules regarding jockeys use of mobile phones an the racecourse.

I was suprised to see one of the jocks using one outside the entrance to the weighing room this afternoon about ten minutes before the first race.

I thought the rules were quite tight but is this ok?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

The said phone may not have been switched on .. simply a clever ruse to get layers to push the price out on the exchanges, kidding the on-course spies into thinking the Jockey is planning to stop the horse.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

I was suprised to see one of the jocks using one outside the entrance to the weighing room this afternoon about ten minutes before the first race.

It wasn’t Paul Doe, was it? :|

Trickmeister
    Participant
    • Total Posts 96

Thanks for the clarification – seems like it could have been perfectly ok then. I wasn’t implying any impropriety but I had the impression when the rules were introduced that the jockeys felt they were quite draconian and unreasonably restrictive. It would appear simply that their use is regulated.

And no, it wasn’t Paul Doe, but a very distinctive claimer.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

It’s reasonable to assume that this particular call was being made from what is considered part of the "phone zone".

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

A couple of weeks ago I saw a winning jockey handed a mobile by the lad that led the horse into the winners enclosure and speaking freely on it, the television director swiftly moved on and to the best of my knowledge the jockey got away with it.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

A couple of weeks ago I saw a winning jockey handed a mobile by the lad that led the horse into the winners enclosure and speaking freely on it, the television director swiftly moved on and to the best of my knowledge the jockey got away with it.

chances are he wasn’t "getting away" with anything – paragraph 5 of the instruction makes an exception to the general rule in paragraph 1:

========================

5. If the Trainer of a horse a Rider is engaged to ride is not present on the course the Trainer’s representative is permitted to hand his mobile telephone to the Rider in the "phone zone" so that the Trainer may speak directly to the Rider.

========================

http://rules.britishhorseracing.com/Ins … omsearch=1

From paragraph 1 it seems that "phone zones" have to be "in the Weighing Room", but with scales appearing in various places these days maybe "the Weighing Room" extends out to the winners enclosure ?

best regards

wit

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

We’ve certainly heard a lot less from the jockeys in recent times about the mobile phone restrictions. They were very vociferous initially with Philip Robinson particularly prominent. It might possibly have something to do with all the material that came out in the Old Bailey trial and connected BHA cases.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

wit

From paragraph 1 it seems that "phone zones" have to be "in the Weighing Room", but with scales appearing in various places these days maybe "the Weighing Room" extends out to the winners enclosure ?

My understanding is that calls have to be made within the weighing room, not outside the entrance to the weighing room or anywhere else. Perhaps

silvoir

would be kind enough to clarify this.

Trickmeister
    Participant
    • Total Posts 96

Well the jockey I saw yesterday was definitely outside the weighing room, albeit wandering around the entrance. Later in the day another was using a phone within the indoor entrance area. Hard to see how they could both be classed as in the ‘phone zone’.

Another point – if I happened to know the rules reasonably well, and saw something that I thought was outside them, what is my course of action?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Although the rules are in place I think jockeys are mostly treated with common sense. Everybody knows they need to talk to trainers before and after a race if they are not there. Similarly they need to talk to their agents to pick up information about possible runners/non runners/travel plans etc. Yes they should make their calls in the Phone Zones but most of the time they are sensible about their useage.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Well at Doncaster in January when Sam Thomas won the Novice Chase on Lighting Strike i saw him in the paddock using a Blackberry to talk to Venetia Williams who would of been at Cheltenham that day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.