The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Job search

Home Forums Horse Racing Job search

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Having reached the age (33) where I realise that unless I leave my tedious office job now, I probably never will, I am trying to get a job in racing. I’m realistic enough to realise I will have to take a cut in wages and start at the bottom, as well as being prepared to travel or even relocate. I would ideally like the opportunity of working for an on-course bookmaker or anything in a similar line, though I realise such opportunities are rare.

Without getting into my CV here (since Cormack has generously indulged me thus far, it would be ill-mannered of me to push it too far) I do also have, in addition to the enthusiasm for the sport that is shared by most on here, an enjoyment of the written word and my job, tedious though it has been, has enabled me to develop strong analytical skills.

If anyone happens to know of any such vacancies out there, or would be able to offer any advice, it would be gratefully received.

Thanks<br>

(Edited by Aranalde at 9:04 pm on Jan. 30, 2007)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Arandale, you face a very difficult challenge to secure a decent job within racing.  

There are so many people chasing any vacant positions within the media sector and only those with the best connections will succeed.  On course bookmaking is not an area I would consider as again there is oversupply of candidates.  The best on course workers have all lived within the game for years and the work is second nature to them.  Besides, the on course bookmaking business is in terminal decline and will probably be reduced to an insignificant also ran within a few years.

A job within a call centre is probably the only real prospect.  Start as a basic call handler and hope to progress to odds compiling/trader.<br>

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Aranalde,

The betting/horse racing industry is booming and there are so many more opportnities now than there were even five years ago. Obviously if you want out of an ‘office job’ that limits your opportunities, but I would recommend going through betting and racing media websites once a week for job opportunities and registering with agencies like pentasia and bettingjobs. There are lots of website admin jobs – betfair is always worth looking at. And once you’re in, as wallace says, other opportunities can become available. After that as with any work environment it all comes down to ambition and personality.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Aranalde, I spent three years working on-course before switching to full-time racing journalism/tipping. It’s a bloody good education as far as improving your punting is concerned but you will need a thick skin, a willingness to learn and thermal underwear. I’d be happy to ask around on your behalf (for potential job opportunities, not long johns). I’ve PM’d my email address.

(Edited by Mounty at 6:13 am on Jan. 31, 2007)<br>

(Edited by Mounty at 6:14 am on Jan. 31, 2007)

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Aran<br>You could look at the NJPC website but there are always workers with experiance looking there for work.

Best of luck.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"I’d be happy to ask around on your behalf (for potential job opportunities, not long johns). I’ve PM’d my email address."

Good man, Andrew!:cool:

Colin

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Thanks all for your helpful advice, much appreciated<br>

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

There’s an on-course firm trading as Jack Wilson – complete barm-pots the lot of them – won’t lay a decent bet and they tend to hang around on their joint after the last race as though there’s another one due and only they know. A couple of years ago they advertised in their local job centre for a computer operator/clerk – £40 a day! You pay peanuts….

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

The going rate for floor man for 12 races at Hove is £40 sobs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.