JLT Novices Chase

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2017 JLT Novices Chase

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    steeplechasingsteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5735

I thought he’d win easier :)

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

So disappointed that Flying Angel couldn’t run his race. Probably wouldn’t have won but have been looking forward to seeing him all week. Great run from little Top Notch.

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3219

100% i thought he would of went off odds on for this race.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6044

Poor ride by Jacob, letting Ruby up the inner.

I think without the bad mistake at the 2nd last, Top Notch would likely have
    taken this one, but well done to Ruby for keeping Yorkhill going up to the line.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

taken this one, but well done to Ruby for keeping Yorkhill going up to the line.

Am not so sure BigG, Yorkhill seemed to be idling, but would’ve been close. Do think the best horse won, but the best horse should have been made to go around Top Notch over the last two, and who knows might have needed to go around Disko too. Yorkhill is one connections are at pains to go down the rail, because he can go left at obsticles – so positioning is even more important than usual. Why make it simple for your chief rival? Whether Top Notch would’ve won or not, Jacob did not make the most of his chance.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5735

There are two dolls just after the turn in and the whole field, bar Ruby, has moved out to get a racing line past them and into the 2nd last. Good riding by Ruby rather than poor ride by Jacob

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

There are two dolls just after the turn in and the whole field, bar Ruby, has moved out to get a racing line past them and into the 2nd last. Good riding by Ruby rather than poor ride by Jacob

I’d say both.

value is everything
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Well done with him Joe, his jumping looked a lot sounder today and he had his game head on. Still not sure I would completely trust him at short odds.

I went off Politologue with the Nicholls form looking slack this week. 11/1 said it all about him. Top Notch gave it a good go, he’s game for sure.

Overall I don’t think this was a vintage renewal but no doubt Yorkhill will be as short as a carrot next time he runs. Maybe I’ll foolishly take him on again :whistle:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16083

Well done Joe, you always stuck by him :good:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6044

Am not so sure BigG, Yorkhill seemed to be idling, but would’ve been close. Do think the best horse won, but the best horse should have been made to go around Top Notch over the last two, and who knows might have needed to go around Disko too. Yorkhill is one connections are at pains to go down the rail, because he can go left at obsticles – so positioning is even more important than usual. Why make it simple for your chief rival? Whether Top Notch would’ve won or not, Jacob did not make the most of his chance.

I think it made a crucial difference Ginge, Top Notch was perhaps just in front, level at worst,
    going to the second last. He clouted it, lost momentum and was about 3 lengths down directly after
    the fence. Jacob got him going again and he closed to within 1L at the line. I’ve watched it again,
    and I find it hard to say it wasn’t at the least an important factor. Not to say that Yorkhill,
    wouldn’t have battled past him even if the had stayed level after the 2nd last, but I feel Top Notch
    was going on well again at the finish. To use an old phrase, if my auntie had cajones, she’s be my
    uncle…. or, we’ll just never know :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5735

Yorkhill jumped the last with a ton in hand and almost immediately downed tools – even worse than last year and I’d be concerned about his idling now. Those last two fences are just too close for Ruby to have taken a pull but Yorkhill’s ideal would be to lead fifty yards from the post.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4561

Definitely idled after the last Joe!!

But he has some engine!! :good: :good:

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

I think it made a crucial difference Ginge, Top Notch was perhaps just in front, level at worst,
    going to the second last. He clouted it, lost momentum and was about 3 lengths down directly after
    the fence. Jacob got him going again and he closed to within 1L at the line. I’ve watched it again,
    and I find it hard to say it wasn’t at the least an important factor. Not to say that Yorkhill,
    wouldn’t have battled past him even if the had stayed level after the 2nd last, but I feel Top Notch
    was going on well again at the finish. To use an old phrase, if my auntie had cajones, she’s be my
    uncle…. or, we’ll just never know :unsure:

Yet again Jacob has been found out when it counts, happens too often to be coincidence or misfortune.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 556

Poor efforts from the jockeys on the placed horses.Surely they must have known Walsh would have been inconvenienced by having to go around them on this horse. Cooper made far too little use of Disko and inevitably outpaced.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 223

Have backed Yorkhill at 5/2 NRNB. He’s my nap of the meeting.

5/2 for the biggest loon (not straightforward doesn’t do him justice) in training. Well done.

Good luck Steeplechasing with your bet and I hope you are right, but I do fear for him next Thursday. I bet him for Arkle, and the Champion and stayers, and was really hopeful he would actually go over timber but alas, not to be.

I thought the sky was the limit for him this season, but I would have to side with Stilvi here, and I can’t put my finger on it, but I now just think he might have a few issues going on

He’ll trot up. He might not win far, as I expect Ruby to hold onto him until after the last, but he’ll be the most impressive odds-against winner at the meeting

I was so happy he did the business Steeplechasing, it was my highlight of the week.

It was not the big win I would have had for other targets, but a win is a win, and I was delighted.

I think he is a star, and well done for napping him, you ended up having more faith in him than I did.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.