The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jerry Hannon Q & A

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s Jerry Hannon Q & A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Very many thanks to Jerry for his answers. Appreciated Jerry. And thanks to Michael Walsh for setting this one up.

From David Brady –

Hi Jerry

What’s the update on Dundalk AW track.

Passed it on way to last Downpatrick meeting. Had a peep in all looking good. Foundations are now laid. Hoping to have schooling races in July ahead of opening on 26th of August.<br>From Aragorn –

Hi Jerry,

What is your take on the Irish contingent in the cheltenham bumper? Cork All Star looks solid but I can;t help feeling that Aranleigh is being written off due to the ground on his debut and Mad Fish being a mullins horse. I think the stiff finish must suit Aranleigh.

Your thoughts would be welcomed on this puzzle that the irish always seem to have the answer to!!

Nick<br>Yes it is always a puzzle. It’s a race where there are a lot of traffic problems, bumper by name and nature. Horses for courses is a favourite motto of mine, which I think gives Cork All Star an excellent chance. Hopefully the ground will have dried out by Wednesday. We know he comes up the hill and Jessica Harrington’s run well off a break.  Mad Fish & Aranleigh haven’t the same type of experience.

From Danny –

Hi Jerry,

Firstly Who will be your cheltenham banker?

and also can you see any of the irish contingent winning the Gold Cup?

Hardy Eustace is my banker. Have never heard Dessie Hughes as bullish as he is this year. He’d be emulating Istabraq & See You Then. He’d also be the first horse to win back his title having lost it. I think his run behind Detroit City is key finishing around a length behind him not having had a hard race.

As regards the Gold Cup, I can’t see an Irish winner this time, but an Irish owner might win it.<br>From Ratpack –

Hi Jerry

Is it true u much prefer the jumps to the flat (although u get excited about every race!!), and who is the best amateur riding in Ireland at the moment – using your vast array of pointing knowledge!  

Thanks<br>I enjoy both codes. National Hunt keeps the show going all year round as well as the point-to-points. I really look forward to the challenge of calling the rapidly changing flat races each summer.

Few of the point-to-point jockeys have the experience of John Thomas McNamara, a great ambassador for the amateur ranks. JT is looking forward to riding Spotthedifference in the Cross Country on Tuesday, he says the old boy has never looked better.<br>From me ! (Cormack)

Hi Jerry – many thanks for taking the time to participate in this.

Couple of questions, if I may be so bold.

Firstly – do you travel to Cheltenham and if so, how does your week usually pan out?

Secondly – In your years commentating what’s been both the most exciting horse and most exciting race you’ve witnessed?

Finally – Peter O’Sullevan or Mchael O’Hehir (no fence sitting now)?

Only been once, 10 years ago this week.

The most exciting races I think I have seen were the flat duels last year between Ouija Board & Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau, and Holy Roman Emperor and Teofilo in the Dewhurst. Pity we won’t see them meet again following yesterdays news.

Have to be Micheal. A man way before his time.<br>From Yeats – Hi Jerry

Have you ever had any involvement in racehorse ownership and which trainer or trainers would you favour to have a share in a horse with?

Never been involved in a horse. Always been a fan of Jim Bolger, a genius with fillies and his tremendous successes last year speak for themselves.

From Monkey –

Please tell us a bit about yourself, Jerry, I only know you as a disembodied voice. How did you get into racing? <br>Also, What impact do you think the ATR coverage is having on Irish racing?<br>I’m 26 from the town of Listowel, which holds the well known 7 day festival in September. Been in racing since 10 up. The well known Healy family of photographers introduced me and got me my opportunities in the game.

Going forward I see ATR as very positive in bringing Irish racing to new markets. Coverage has also been recently enhanced by all cameras including the stewards cameras being made available to ATR.

From Swallow Cottage –

Jerry – I’ve never been to Ireland but have always wanted to. Which racetrack is the friendliest to visit (national hunt only ).<br>I think that Gowran Park is one of the friendliest. The Thyestes Chase day on the last Thursday in January is certainly worth a visit. Top National Hunt card on that day. Very scenic and opportunity for golf inside the track. Also close to Kilkenny City. <br>From Bear –

Hi Jerry,

The standard of commentating over here varies from top class to awful with the majority coming somewhere in between. Have you ever considered trying your luck on the mainland, or is there too much of a ‘jobs for the boys’ mentality to make the effort worthwhile?<br>I’ve actually covered the Irish days at Worcester, Fontwell, Sandown, Kempton & Wolverhampton. However, I hope that my future will remain here in Ireland.

From trackside528 –

Couple of questions if I may Gerry (sorry Corm, I know its a bit late, I was on my hols though  

What is your view on the Champion Hurdle? <br>Is Aran Concerto all that he’s cracked up to be? <br>and lastly.. whats the story with Mhic Mocroi?

Cheers<br>As regards the Champion Hurdle I refer you to the answer in Danny’s question a little bit up the thread. Aran Concerto has done nothing wrong, however Wednesday will be the acid test, and you must be careful backing short priced favourites. Mhic Mocroi hasen’t been seen since winning a point at Castletown-Geoghegan last November. Was a reserve at Limerick at Christmas in a Hunter Chase but didn’t get in and haven’t heard a word since.

<br>

Michael Walsh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 940

Hope ye were all on Cork All Star :biggrin:

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

No none of us were on Cork All Star as we were all skint after Hardy Eustace. :biggrin:

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Harsh Danny (I know you’re only joking btw)! You’d be well in profit backing Jerry’s recommended and, if you read between the lines, he was clearly urging caution re- Aran Concerto.

Good stuff Jerry and thanks again.

Michael Walsh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 940

Just a follow up to a question- Mhic Mocroi runs in the Hunter Chase at Down Royal tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.