The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

James Willoughby – The Weakest Link

Home Forums Horse Racing James Willoughby – The Weakest Link

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Don’t follow his tips or anyone elses but nothing at all wrong with James Willoughby as a writer. He made perfect sense in an article prior to Binocular’s run when stating was awesome last year and looked further forward this time round….then Binocular runs a lacklustre race and JW shows concern…..really don’t get what is so unusual about that , afterall AP was quick to say he wasn’t impressed.

He often comes up with points that get me to thinking, as I never thought of them before so it’s not all about tipping. Seems like a fairly knowledgeable guy to me

Participant
    • Total Posts 32978

Can’t comment on Willoughby’s tipping, don’t know enugh about it.

But I agree with Fist,

I’ve backed Binocular for the Champion, but am nowhere near as confident after Sandown as I was before.

Think James W is a thought provoking chap. Sometimes agree, sometimes disagree, sometimes laugh at him. But that is how it should be. Come to think of it, is he Fist in disguise? :lol:

Good journalist (imo).

Value Is Everything
    eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

He shouldn’t really be writing about jump racing but I suppose it’s compulsory with being the CC of the RP, it could be worse though, Geoff Lester was the CC of the SL for years.
    Willo was excellent doing the flat though, even a little aw meeting at Kempton on a Weds evening, preferably when he was not paired with Angus.
    As for his tipping ability, why don’t you pick your own, or, if he’s no good, lay Willo’s. Everyones entitled to an opinion, bet even stilvi’s tipped some rubbish sometime.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

A very harsh thread, I’d say he offers a lot more to Racing punditry than anyone else in this thread does.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Come to think of it, is he Fist in disguise? :lol:

Good journalist (imo).

No Ginge, he is an aged Dimitar Berbatov in disguise :lol:

thelyingthief
    • Total Posts 1

well, to be perfectly candid, I am a worse pundit than James Willoughby.

So, yes, there are worse.

tlt-

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

A very harsh thread, I’d say he offers a lot more to Racing punditry than anyone else in this thread does.

I wouldn’t be so quick to say that. Let’s not forget he’s paid for his RP column. Lost of posters here give their time and opinions for nothing in return. As drone has intimated before, forums have given a greater voice to the man in the street and there are lots of opinions worth listening to that aren’t held back by the agendas and politics that some journalists are.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I wouldn’t be so quick to say that. Let’s not forget he’s paid for his RP column. Lost of posters here give their time and opinions for nothing in return. As drone has intimated before, forums have given a greater voice to the man in the street and there are lots of opinions worth listening to that aren’t held back by the agendas and politics that some journalists are.

To be honest I’ve been around the forum for years and not many people who enjoy write ups last very long because they either can’t be bothered or start to lose money. I’ve not known a big punter to come on here or anywhere else and read someones write up to be convinced into a bet, if you’re betting in thousands then I am sure you’d a. know what you’re talking about, b. don’t need any advice and c. rather lose/win money on your own judgement.

Also I’ve not seen anyone be recruited by the RP from the internet, why? because their not worthy – people like Willougby and Pricewise are worth their wieght in gold as they have and will be around for years to come because they know what makes profit in the long run and people can trust their opinons.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Martin Julian……Nick Mordin..etc….Willo, can all talk the talk but as for tipping, if you follow anyone mentioned and other not mentioned, more fool you!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32978

To be honest I’ve been around the forum for years and not many people who enjoy write ups last very long because they either can’t be bothered or start to lose money. I’ve not known a big punter to come on here or anywhere else and read someones write up to be convinced into a bet, if you’re betting in thousands then I am sure you’d a. know what you’re talking about, b. don’t need any advice and c. rather lose/win money on your own judgement.

Also I’ve not seen anyone be recruited by the RP from the internet, why?

because their not worthy

– people like Willougby and Pricewise are worth their wieght in gold as they have and will be around for years to come because they know what makes profit in the long run and people can trust their opinons.

All bow down to Tom and James.

We are not worthy, we are not worthy. :roll:

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

MrW
    And on what evidence do you base your assertion that Willo is worth his weight in gold as a tipster? :lol:

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

As far as I am aware, James Willoughby is not a tipster, he is a journalist. A very good journalist. In his column, he may say he fancies X because of Y & Z, but that should not be interpreted as a tip you should follow.

Has the OP been on here since posting? Most replies seem to offer an opinion opposite to his.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Stilvi,

Do you think you can start a thread titled ‘Is There a Worse Rabble Ruler than Paul Roy?’.

Please.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

James Willoughby will shortly be stepping down from his position as Chief Correspondent with Racing Post. I think he announced it publicly on RUK tonight.

I for one hope we don’t lose him to racing journalism/broadcasting, for all that I do not always agree with everything he writes or says.

Come to think of it, I do not always agree with ANYONE, including myself.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I like James Willoughby as a journalist, he does make you think a bit.

Trouble he is a touch like Nick Mordin in that he tries too hard to find a different angle and ends up being ridiculed.

No idea what his tipping is like; I haven’t supported a horse on the advice of a journalist since Richard Baerlein retired.

Colin

• Total Posts 479

"Also I’ve not seen anyone be recruited by the RP from the internet, why? because their not worthy – people like Willougby and Pricewise are worth their wieght in gold as they have and will be around for years to come because they know what makes profit in the long run and people can trust their opinons."

Just out of interest does anyone know if anyone has ever been recruited from a forum or from the internet to tip for the racing post or any other major organisation?

I have never heard of any but surely some previously unknown somewhere has been offered employment off the back of a forum or emailing etc…

Warming Trends
    • Total Posts 46

"Also I’ve not seen anyone be recruited by the RP from the internet, why? because their not worthy – people like Willougby and Pricewise are worth their wieght in gold as they have and will be around for years to come because they know what makes profit in the long run and people can trust their opinons."

Just out of interest does anyone know if anyone has ever been recruited from a forum or from the internet to tip for the racing post or any other major organisation?

I have never heard of any but surely some previously unknown somewhere has been offered employment off the back of a forum or emailing etc…

Zoso , weren’t you the colonel on the betfair forum?

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.