The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

James Willoughby – The Weakest Link

Home Forums Horse Racing James Willoughby – The Weakest Link

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

One very ordinary column after another, one of the worst judges around and endless flannel when he appears on Racing UK. The Racing Post must be really struggling for talent if this is the best they can do for a chief writer.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning Stilvi?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

What did you think of Geoff Lester? He had the same job at the Sporting Life for 12 years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32975

Have met both James and Geoff and both are (from what I could see) thoughtful, intelligent race readers. Some of what both say I agree with, some I don’t. Expect that in everyone.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I like James Willoughby, though I do take on board the point about his waffling. His head seems to be full of superfluous information – hence his indecisiveness at times. Simplify it James – simplify it. Less is more and all that. :lol:

A little learning is a dangerous thing, perhaps? :shock:

Good guy though. 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning Stilvi?

Just because I think he has been elevated to a status well beyond his ability doesn’t mean I had a collision with a wall this morning.

I also wanted to see what everyone else thought – maybe I am in a minority but should not stop anyone voicing an opinion.

endevour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 99

I agree with you about J Willoughby,in common with many people he goes far to deeply into things probably got a head fun of information instead of keeping it simple,mind you i tend to ignore so called experts,after following racing for many years you find you are just as good a judge as them.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Sorry Stilvi – it was just light-hearted comment as you’re not usually as direct as that. No offence meant and, in fact, just the type of topic starter the forum thrives on.

:oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Either way Cormack, James Willoughby has probably forgotten more
    in the last week than Stilvi knows about horse racing! Thats got nothing to do with the fact James was "bigging" up the chances of Mastercraftsman
    in todays Post either!! The guy is to the clock, what Steve Cauthen was to
    putting it into practice! No, sorry Stilvi i am a fan of James! Geoff Lester on the other hand, sticking his bloody nose into every interview, with that "i"m
    allowed to do that look on his face"!

• Total Posts 1688

I enjoy reading James Willoughby, maybe because I don’t mind a good waffle in my articles as well!

However …

mind you i tend to ignore so called experts,after following racing for many years you find you are just as good a judge as them.

… I follow this guideline as a general rule. Always nice to hear somebody else’s opinion, but at the end of the day, yours is strongest!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I agree with you about J Willoughby,in common with many people he goes far to deeply into things probably got a head fun of information instead of keeping it simple,mind you i tend to ignore so called experts,after following racing for many years you find you are just as good a judge as them.

I’d have to second the above.
    For all his fancy theorising and transatlantic twaddle he lacks any formal structure to his analyses, is often clueless why a race turned out the way it did, has a rank poor understanding of the form book for a guy in his position, and wouldn’t last 5 minutes if he had to live on his on his winnings.
    He may be plausible and articulate, expert he most certainly is not!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The best racing analysts post on forums like these. The trouble is, for every one that has something worth reading, there are a hundred that don’t, but when you’ve sorted the wheat from the chaff, you really don’t need to bother with the likes of Willoughby.

Blackheath
    • Total Posts 105

Keeping it simple = dumbing down = modern television

Analysing horse racing is complex.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I rate JW on his American Racing views, not too sure elsewhere but he does know his stuff.

He’s unbeatable for US knowledge

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 43

For someone who talks an awful lot of sense, he doesn’t half get the ‘Marmite treatment’. He’s an excellent orator and his output is always thought provoking. I know my punting has been sharpened by listening to him anyway.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Dont have problem with JW. Then again, I dont have Racing Uk and I dont buy the racing post so I am in no position to comment. When I have heard him summarise races on Racing UK replay function I have thought some of what he says is valid, some is obvious and some is taking immediate post race thoughts further than need be. But every presenter, analyser is the same. Even as punters we do the same.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I’d have to second the above.
    For all his fancy theorising and transatlantic twaddle he lacks any formal structure to his analyses, is often clueless why a race turned out the way it did, has a rank poor understanding of the form book for a guy in his position, and wouldn’t last 5 minutes if he had to live on his on his winnings.
    He may be plausible and articulate, expert he most certainly is not!

Agree. I’ve largely stooped listening to the man. The lack of structure to his analyses is puzzling for a man of his prominence in the racing media.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.