The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

James Reveley – An Absolute Disgrace

Home Forums Horse Racing James Reveley – An Absolute Disgrace

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

He was very poor on Cue To Cue but should undoubtedly have won on Crowning Jewel. No wonder they backed the McManus runner. Stewards should throw the book at him.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4556

Can’t see what the problem was with the ride on Cue To Cue. James Reveley eased her into contention on the final bend, but she wasn’t good enough to match the first two from that point. Third was about as good as she was on the day, but I’d be interested if she’s dropped back to mares’ only company.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4556

..and the alternative view of the Crwoning Jewel run is that he probably did quite well to get that one as close as he did. Crowning Jewel made a pig’s ear of each of flights down the far side and landed flatfooted at each. He was better in the straight and picked up well enough. In retrospect James Reveley might agree he should have been closer to the pace, but isn’t hindsight a fine thing? It’s worth bearing in mind that the rest of the runners were strung out like washing. The form may just be quite decent.

By the way, watch out for Capital Venture as he’s now got a handicap mark. He won a bumper beating Simply Ned at Kelso in the spring, but he needs farther than 2 miles. He can get a handicap mark now and I would imagine his mark might be helpful once he’s campaigned over 2m 4f+.

Hippo JoeHippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

I always think that James Reveley and Sam Thomas both stand too far out of their ground on hold-up horses, and while it looks good when it comes off it looks awful when it doesn’t.

I don’t think today’s Reveley rides were a particularly good example, but I know exactly wwhat you mean.

Timmy Murphy has a lot to answer for.

Hippo JoeHippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

I also meant to say, does James still have his job with Nick Williams? Yesterday he missed the Newbury ride on Urbain de Sivola and went to Musselburgh to ride two poor chances for his father.

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Stilvi

I am glad you lost ……pocket talking is very poor and should be banned in my opinion

have a real unpleasant evening wont you !!!!!

:o

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Hippo Joe – Timmy Murphy is an absolute genius on a hold up horse. Its hardly his fault if other jockeys try it and get it wrong.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

..and the alternative view of the Crwoning Jewel run is that he probably did quite well to get that one as close as he did. Crowning Jewel made a pig’s ear of each of flights down the far side and landed flatfooted at each. He was better in the straight and picked up well enough. In retrospect James Reveley might agree he should have been closer to the pace, but isn’t hindsight a fine thing? It’s worth bearing in mind that the rest of the runners were strung out like washing. The form may just be quite decent.

By the way, watch out for Capital Venture as he’s now got a handicap mark. He won a bumper beating Simply Ned at Kelso in the spring, but he needs farther than 2 miles. He can get a handicap mark now and I would imagine his mark might be helpful once he’s campaigned over 2m 4f+.

Rather than just appearing to put an opposite view as you so often do why not just give us your own opinion. Do you believe that the winner was the better horse and would have won whatever Reveley had done?

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Both Malt Master and Crowning Jewel are worth taking away from this. I think the winner had a bit more to give so I do think the best horse probably won.

It always looks bad when you are ‘closest at finish’ in the manner that Crowning Jewel found himself but, as Rob says, jumping was poor, it’s still early days and they still have plenty horse to go to war with. One to keep an eye on for sure.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4556

Rather than just appearing to put an opposite view as you so often do why not just give us your own opinion. Do you believe that the winner was the better horse and would have won whatever Reveley had done?

stilvi

Firstly, having watched the race I formed a view which was opposite to yours. There’s more than one way of looking at a race and if I can avoid ‘the common angle’ then over time I reckon I can gain an advantage. If you object to that then I’m happy to assume I’m doing the right thing!

In answer to the second question, I suspect so, yes.

Rob

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Very hard to think that the winner wasn’t the best horse on the day, but with a better ride, the first 2 would probably have pulled further clear of the third. It’s alright suggesting the horse made mistakes, but so often the jockey is a key part in the horses jumping too. I don’t watch a lot of nothern jumps racing, but I know people that do, and I’m often hearing of Reveley riding in such similar fashion as to today, dropping something out, seeming to have little awareness of what pace they’ve gone and then allowing races to develop around him, often failing to get the very best out of his mount.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Was watching the betfair chase last week without a bet and very early on in the race I got the distinct impression that Revely was out of his depth.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Whilst not young Reveleys greatest fan, he is still young and could improve with experience.
    On the plus side, Cottin in France must have faith in him as he is putting him up in Grade 2 and 3 races tomorrow.

RubyisgodinthesaddleRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1155

Clueless rider….

Another of the self anointed star of the future. This guy got beat on a Irish Pointer must be 4 weeks ago at least that was punted off the boards up at Wetherby or somewhere like that. Arrived 4f too early and got beaten by being there 2 early.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

Ruby – Sorry to query this, but for clarity purposes, which ride is this that you are talking about ?
    "4 weeks ago at least that was punted off the boards at Wetherby or somewhere like that" is not helpful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.