The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

It’s finally time to ban the water jumps

Home Forums Horse Racing It’s finally time to ban the water jumps

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

Ban water jumps? They should be wider and much, much deeper in my opinion. Fill them with great whites and have them shooting upwards to grab a hapless horse and rider as the field streams over.

Would certainly liven up a three-runner novice chase on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I thought that the water jump at Doncaster was filled in having no actual water. Either the water jump should be filled with water and a decent test, such as as those at Newbury, Aintree and Hexham or be completely omitted. Sandown has stopped having water too. If there is no water then horses will try to miss them out as what happened yesterday, the horse would have jumped high and wide over such as Newbury’s jump.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Hasn’t there been a thread on water jumps previously (a few years ago) with images of all of them, I can remember one with flat plastic.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Crepello, I have mentioned a previous thread and included a link to a photo of the synthetic jump above in this chain :-)

Not sure if it’s the thread you mean as there was only one photo.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1403

I backed Midnight Shadow yesterday and his demise put a dampener on my day.

Agree that Water jumps need to be eradicated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2039

Do the stats confirm XS injuries at water-jumps?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

There’s an article on this matter on the racing post website. I’m not a member though so can’t see what they say

Vf x

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Was just about to write the same. They finally picked up our thread you could say. The iniatial report in the RP stated Midnight Shadow made a mistake at the 7th fence. NO WORD about the obstacle being the water jump. Now, three days later, maybe the proper journalists and not the kids have their say.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2875

When I worked in the bookies, there was some sort of cross country race from Germany one day where the horses literally had to wade through a lake, it was fantastic. More please.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Richard, funny guy!!! Making fun of a horse that left his pelvis in the water…. As I said, funny guy!!!

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

The RP article is basically saying what most people on here are saying, (citing examples of what other courses have done to modify their jumps) and saying it’s time to consider banning water jumps. Lee Mottershead has also written a piece about Midnight Shadow.

My Better Half also remembers Full Strength and his nightmare death, but the one that upset me the most was East Tycoon, at Ludlow. I can see it in my head like it was yesterday. To me no amount of ‘spectacle’ justifies a horse suffering what East Tycoon suffered. The Better Half had rung me just after it happened and I was so distraught I was incoherent and he couldn’t understand what I was saying, I was in such a state. I haven’t seen a water jump being jumped since then and won’t, so I didn’t see poor Midnight Shadow die. Watching chases I turn away as they approach the water. Cowardly, I know, but what happened to East Tycoon haunts me to this day.

It’s just not something that’s needed. I contacted the BHA following East Tycoon’s death, giving my opinions on this and had just the response I expected. None.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2875

Jesus wept. I’m not sure how we got from an unusual race in Germany ten years ago to making fun of a dead horse.

There has been talk in this thread of the supposed ‘spectacle’ of water jumps, which I agree there is little to none. If you want water and a spectacle then a lake is certainly that. For obvious reasons it slows the horses down so unless anyone has buried some nasty surprises there won’t be any broken legs.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

Where’s the bit where Richard makes fun of a dead horse please?

All I can see is a post about him thinking horses literally fording a river during a German cross country race was quite a spectacle.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Fiepes Shuffle who did very well in this country years ago used to take part in German lakes races. I don’t think they’re particularly dangerous to the horses that take part.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

That depends on whether they can swim !

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

You’ve got a point there!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Watching Huntingdon, the commentator referred to the “water jump” as the “stretch jump”. Presumably because it has no water.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.