The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

It Must Be Love

Home Forums Horse Racing It Must Be Love

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Bos,

Of course we "do not know the whole story", but neither do you.

Of course David is going to be very nice when you visit. But if the mafia are good to some, it does not make them good people. Not that David is in the mafia or that I am comparing him with the mafia. :lol:

Does John Reid think David is a nice bloke?

I echo Rory’s comments, I have absolutely nothing against you or Druid Racing, or indeed David (if he found another job).

Thanks anyway for the update Bos.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

Bos,

Of course we "do not know the whole story", but neither do you.

Of course David is going to be very nice when you visit. But if the mafia are good to some, it does not make them good people. Not that David is in the mafia or that I am comparing him with the mafia. :lol:

I echo Rory’s comments, I have absolutely nothing against you or Druid Racing.

Mark

No problem, Mark.

All I can say is David’s been an absolute gem whenever I’ve visited and I don’t form an opinion of someone based on other peoples perspective.

Nice to know you don’t have a problem with me or DR, but if anyone has a problem with IMBL, I’ll have a problem with them!! :lol:

theancientdruid
    • Total Posts 16

Can you answer one question for me; have you been able to watch your filly work? I hope the answer is yes, because it would be odd for you to be invited to see her on several occasions but for the trainer to arrange her serious work on days when you are absent. Both yours and John’s posts suggest that neither of you were there for this, or her previous piece of work, even though both were described as crucial to her appearance on the racecourse. If that were true, I’d be very worried indeed as in none of my incarnations as a racehorse owner have my visits not been planned to coincide with seeing my horses in action.

Can I answer this question, all owners are invited to every stable visit. These are arranged approximately every month. They also have the opportuninty to visit the stables independently at any time if the can’t make “official” visits, due to work or other committments.

I have produced two DVD’s of IMBL’s progress for owners from the day she was bought, these show her progress from having a free gallop in the indoor arena, long reining, being ridden for the first time, trotting out, on the gallops at various stages over the last few months, the first time ridden after her “going straight” break, swimming, being asked to go up alongside Hurricane Coast on the gallops.

The next DVD will show her galloping alongside Coconut Moon, squeezing Santoriney for room against the rails when the opposite was supposed to happen!, being asked to go alongside and then pass Santoriney, walking unaided into the starting stalls, and general shots of her in her box/paddock.

I was not at Wednesdays gallop as I have to work for a living, every piece of work is “crucial” in the training of a thoroughbred racehorse, something you surely realise as an owner. To suggest I should attend every training session is beyond me.

10 owners and 3 guests attended todays visit, all enjoyed the experience. It was to be her last piece of fast work before her debut next weekend. Hopefully the will get to enjoy the experience of a racecourse soon, but their are no guarantees, something that is spelt out in my brochure and that they all appreciate before they enrole.

I have now bought an interest in two horses in training with Philip Kirby in North Yorkshire, a 6/7 hour return drive for me. I can assure you that I will not be attending every training session but leaving it to the expertise of Philip and his team.

John Edwards
    Druid Racing

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I might be missing something entirely, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but is it being suggested that It Must Be Love’s owners should be happy that they now have a horse with an RPR of 43 (mullered in a moderate Kempton claimer last time out) in place of a supposedly strong filly who was due to make her debut in a Class 2 event at Salisbury no less than five weeks ago?

This relationship clearly leaves plenty to the imagination, but I’d be asking some fairly uncomfortable questions by now – the first relating to money and how to go about getting it back, the trainer ‘being a gem’ or otherwise.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I would suggest its up to the members of the syndicate to decide. If they are not happy I’m sure they will let their feelings known. The fact that bos continues to stick up for the arrangement should answer that qn.. I’m sure there are plenty of syndicates out there that dont deliver…..shouldn;t you be spreading your investigations wider? To put in slightly clearer…Its none of our business.

theancientdruid
    • Total Posts 16

IMBL owners have been given, free of charge, Santoriney until the end of year. This will hopefully give them the opportunity to visit a racecourse as an owner before the end of the year when their ownership of IMBL expires.

As a part of Druid Racing terms and conditions, any owner can cancel their membership with one months notice. As this has now gone past the final payment date of December 1st, Druid Racing could have done nothing and owners would not have had the chance of a runner this year.

If they wish to continue their ownership next year with any of the four Druid Racing horses now on offer they are quite welcome to. They can also walk away with no obligation.

If you are considering becoming a racehorse owner to get your money back I would seriously advise against it. Again, it is stressed in my brochure that ownership should not be seen as an investment but an enjoyable hobby.

Given that my asking price is between £180 and £384 per 1% share for one year it is not exactly going to break the bank. Less than 50 pence a day for a real percentage share in a racehorse! If we are lucky enough to win prize money or sell on any of our horses, the owners will receive their full percentage share.

They also receive an owners enamel badge, photograph of their horse, key ring, owners certificate, monthly newsletters, DVD’s charting progress or setbacks, free or discounted owners badges if/when we have a runner.

I trust this has clarified matters

John Edwards
    Druid Racing

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Thanks John,

I clearly got an idea which was incorrect and if all the owners have access to recordings of her progress including fast work, then that seems fine. I wasn’t suggesting that you should be present for every piece of work, but merely that the occasional visits of owners should be synchronised where possible with the exercise schedule of their horses. As that does in fact appear to be the case, then I have no issue. Apart from my believe that the trainer is a deluded nutjob, of course ;)

theancientdruid
    • Total Posts 16

no problem Rory

Synchronising 30 owners and 1 racehorse that has not had the best of luck with injuries and setbacks this year has been quite a challenge!

I think it is a testament to the way things have been run this year that the majority of owners indicate they intend to stick with IMBL in 2009 despite all the problems.

cheers
    John

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If the owners are happy underscore then, of course, there is no problem. But, whilst it may not strictly be the business of anyone but those involved, the public discussion instigated by one such person kind of entitles me to my opinion, doesn’t it?

John has responded to the concerns that have been expressed and should be commended for doing so. If he’s managed to keep everyone happy in the process – which I appreciate isn’t the easiest thing to do on occasion – then all credit to him, especially given the amount of effort he seems to put in.

• Total Posts 1982

Here’s the video of IMBL in her box. She’s clearly on good terms and full of herself! I don’t like it when she kicks her door, but she gets quite a tune out of it!

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … CF0535.flv

I’m hoping to see Goldan Jess and the Turtle Island filly next month and will post updates on their progress.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Here’s the video of IMBL in her box. She’s clearly on good terms and full of herself! I don’t like it when she kicks her door, but she gets quite a tune out of it!

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … CF0535.flv

I’m hoping to see Goldan Jess and the Turtle Island filly next month and will post updates on their progress.

Great video, I love it when she kicks the door in great stuff

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Her fondness of the camera makes me believe she’ll need blinkers at some point! :wink: She seems a bit of a character. :lol:

• Total Posts 1982

Thanks for the comments, guys.

She’s a proper show off and loves the camera. I’d hate to think what she’d be like in front of a mirror!

Blinkers might be appropriate – she obviously thinks a lot of herself. She’s also a great swimmer – doesn’t like getting her mane wet.

A typical woman you might say!

All the attention clearly does her confidence no harm. Let’s hope she puts her character to good use on the track next season!

theancientdruid
    • Total Posts 16

Santoriney, the replacement horse for IMBL owners, has two entries. At Wolves on Saturday in a 9.5F maiden and at Kempton on Monday in a 10F claimer.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Brosniac,

Have you got anymore video’s of that quallity?

• Total Posts 1402

Bosranic and theancientdruid

You certainly both have my sympathy – running a horseracing syndicate can be a thankless task sometimes.

Last year the syndicate I run with my brother was the proud owner of the winningmost horse in training. This year we have owned two horses who have made the track four times between them. One has suffered a career-ending injury and the other recovered from an early season stress fracture to put in a couple of promising runs in maidens. She is now on her holidays but will start next season with a Timeform ‘p’ against her name.

Unfortunately that means the syndicate probably won’t have a runner until mid April at the earliest.

The difficulty for any syndicate managers in such circumstances is how to keep the syndicate members’ interest when nothing much is happening. The thing that has surprised me is how few of the members tend to come to our trips to the stables. Those who do attend have a great time but some members are in it merely for the days at the races.

I think your idea is a great one for keeping interest in the syndicate going and I wish you every success.

Tuffers

• Total Posts 1982

Brosniac,

Have you got anymore video’s of that quallity?

This was posted earlier in the thread. It was taken shortly after a piece of work with Coconut Moon. It’s not outstanding quality, but it’s a nice video of her rolling, bucking and kicking.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … CF2529.flv

I also have a short clip of her working that morning with CM and will try uploading it to Photobucket in the next day or two.

Thanks for your comments, Tuffers. It’s been an up and down season.

Watching IMBL develop into such a nice filly after being so backward early on was a real pleasure. I try to visit every 4 – 8 weeks and her improvement has been evident on every occasion. She’s continued to grow and last weekend she looked ready to go – you wouldn’t even know she had a problem.

I think people who don’t visit the stables are missing out on a vital part of the experience. Some syndicates only offer one or two visits per year, but I think if you’re given the opportunity to attend on a weekly basis, then it’s madness not to take advantage of it. I would if I lived closer!

Of course, we all want different things from a syndicate. I believe the experience you have depends on the service. The only thing a syndicate / horse owner can guarantee you is the service provided. The ability of the horse and, as I have discovered, the horse making it to the track is out of their hands.

I’ve had a great experience and John provides a great service, which is why I’m staying with Druid Racing. JE goes out of his way to collect me at the station and he even gave me a lift to Chester races after visiting the stables a few months back. I asked a few members on Saturday if they were staying and they all said yes.

Giving us Santoriney until the end of the year free of charge was a very kind offer. She’s entered at Wolves on Saturday, again at Kempton on the Monday and it gives everyone associated the chance to see the colours in action.

We all want a day at the races and perhaps a nice victory, but standing on the gallops and seeing you horse, or any horse, work is a huge part of the experience.

Watching your horse mature into an athlete capable of competing is a great thrill and I hope IMBL is given the opportunity to show us what she’s got next season.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.