The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

It Must Be Love

Home Forums Horse Racing It Must Be Love

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1982

It was one week before the start of the Cheltenham Festival. I went online to purchase some merchandise for the event, including a Kauto Star enamel badge.

The badge arrived in good time and I was all set to show my support for the horse on Gold Cup day. I noticed a flier in the envelope. It was an invitation to purchase a stake in a 2YO Piccolo filly called IT MUST BE LOVE. I had given the idea of joining a syndicate some serious thought just days before its arrival, so this was quite the coincidence.

The filly was owned by Druid Racing. In addition to supplying sportswear, they are also involved in horse racing merchandise and racing excursions in the UK and Ireland. The flier supplied an e-mail address and a contact number, so I decided to book an appointment to view the filly.

After swapping details, John (of Druid Racing) sent me a folder containing a DVD detailing the fillies progress, a monthly newsletter, photos of It Must Be Love, her 5-generation pedigree, stake % costs, stake holder benefits, information about Druid Racing, excursion dates and pre-training details.

The filly was in pre-training with David and Cheryl Flood. David had made a successful start to his training career before serving a two year suspension in 2006. Now located in Oswestry, David is all set to resume his training career. His highlights include Jonny Ebeneezer, who won more races on grass in 2004 than any other racehorse in Britain and I’m Spartacus, who defeated the Aiden O’Brien trained Scorpion to land the Group Three Gallinule Stakes at the Curragh in 2005.

I traveled to the Stables for the first time last month. I was immediately impressed by the facilities and, of course, the filly. It’s located in a beautiful, tranquil area of Oswestry, with purpose made gallops, horse walker, indoor arena, equine swimming pool and extensive paddocks.

What impressed me more than anything during the time I started trading e-mails with John was the honesty. IT MUST BE LOVE was purchased as a backward filly in November 2007. The signs were very encouraging before she suffered a couple of setbacks, but she’s very much on the upward curve again and looked fantastic on the gallops.

Her sire, Piccolo, was a champion sprinter trained by Mick Channon. Her dam, True Bird, couldn’t have been more different. Still a maiden after just a handful of starts, she was competitive and placed over two miles!!

IT MUST BE LOVE is a beautiful, athletic-looking 2YO, with a pretty, feminine head. She also has a ferocious appetite – a proper filly you could say!!

Both John and the team at Tedsmore couldn’t have been more helpful. I traveled to the area by train from Bristol on Friday afternoon. John offered to pick me up from the station, but was unavailable due to an excursion to Haydock races. We met at Moreton Park Lodge with a fellow stake holder on Saturday morning at 9am and made our way to the stables. I felt very welcome and was immediately taken on a tour of the facilities before watching IT MUST BE LOVE in action on the gallops. I also got to meet the rest of the stable, including Jonny Ebeneezer. My estimated time at the stables was three-hours.

John was kind enough to send me three photos of IT MUST BE LOVE, taken during November, December and January. I don’t need to tell you anything more about her – the final photo (JANUARY 2008) says it all about her potential.

I started a thread to relay this positive experience. However, I was so impressed by the set-up that I would encourage others to contact John if you would like to know more. The link to the Druid Racing website is below. Various stakes are available at annual, monthly and quarterly costs. You’re not treated as ‘just another member’ and it’s perfect for someone looking to join a syndicate for the first time.

If you would like to know a bit more about the experience, then you’re welcome to PM me. My next scheduled visit will be towards the end of June. I will keep you informed and updated…

NOVEMBER 2007[/color:1gpta2ep] Backward but beautiful.
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … ove1-1.jpg

DECEMBER 2007[/color:1gpta2ep] With John and Hugh.
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … eLove2.jpg

JANUARY 2008[/color:1gpta2ep] What a difference two months can make!!
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … an2008.jpg

DRUID RACING
    http://www.druid-sportsandleisure.co.uk/racing/

Take Care

• Total Posts 1982

Just thought I’d post an update on the Shropshire star…

I travelled up to the stables for the second time in as many months to see the filly last Saturday. She keeps on improving.

Approximately ten syndicate members watched It Must Be Love on the gallops before she took a dip in the swimming pool. She’s a great swimmer – John wasn’t exaggerating when he said she doesn’t like getting her hair wet!!

All this happened after a bit of drama in her box. I’m not too sure what happened, but she ended up on the floor (I think see got her reigns caught). She was fine and, like I said, she exercised and went for a swim.

Listed below are six possible race entries:

FRIDAY 18TH JULY – PONTEFRACT – 6F
    MONDAY 28TH JULY – YARMOUTH – 7F
    FRIDAY 1ST AUGUST – HAYDOCK – 6F
    WEDNESDAY 6TH AUGUST – YARMOUTH – 7F
    THURSDAY 7TH AUGUST – HAYDOCK – 8F
    FRIDAY 8TH AUGUST – NEWMARKET – 7F

The general feeling is that she’ll need a stiff six, easy seven at the moment. Madness are playing Newmarket on the 8th August. It Must Be Love / Madness, you can see the connection! :lol:

It Must Be Love is an April foal who lost a good few weeks due to a couple of setbacks. David said we shouldn’t be where we are with her, but she has made incredible progress and is catching up all the time. He said she’ll tell us when she’s ready.

A few pics from my latest visit

Being led up to the gallops by David, with Hugh
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … allop1.jpg

Coat shining and looking pretty
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … allop2.jpg

Soaking wet after a swim, with Hugh
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … grass1.jpg

Enjoying some grass after her efforts
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … grass2.jpg

Watching the world go by
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … stable.jpg

Then and Now. December 1st 2007 / June 28th 2008
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 … andnow.jpg

Anyone interested in viewing the filly are welcome to contact John Edwards on the link below. I understand he’s in the process of joining TRF.

http://www.druid-sportsandleisure.co.uk … ct_us.html

Take Care

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thanks for the pictures Bosranic, She looks to have come on really well and good luck with her in the future all the best.

quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

Is ……………..

…………….. the same animal ?

White sock has moved to other back leg !

Edited : Silly me – smoke and mirrors. :oops:

• Total Posts 1982

Is ……………..

…………….. the same animal ?

White sock has moved to other back leg !

Edited : Silly me – smoke and mirrors. :oops:

Congratulations, Quadrilla, you are the winner. :D

I was waiting for someone to notice the difference! The image on the left-hand side is a mirror image. The photo in its original form can be found in the first post.

I could have altered the photo on the right-hand side, but I wanted the horse to be facing that way in both photos.

At least you were paying attention… :lol:

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Bosranic,

Are you by any chance David Flood?

If not contact one of his former owners Mark Serrell the owner of Mossman Gorge to inform you how honest he found David Flood :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Bosranic,

This thread explains a blinkered view of David Flood.

Edited as you are right Sal it was a bit strong, sorry.

However, not only is the white on the wrong leg, but it appears a piece of white on the nostril of the right handed horse but not the left. May be my mind is playing tricks on me, hope it is not the "backward but beaautiful" picture that is mirrored. With that horse being a totally different one. So making the improvement (comparisson) seem greater.

It may be any manipulation of photographs puts doubt in peoples minds and makes things look wrong. Am not saying it is deffinately a different horse but it makes one think.

Some owners are attracted by a trainer who has broken the rules in the past and like the thought of decieving authorities / punters.

If it was with another trainer mate, I’d wish you luck.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Steady on Ginge – the photo marked as November in one post and December in another is only out by one day; surely not a hanging offence?

And I don’t think reverse imaging a photo counts as deception.

Don’t spill arguments from one thread over onto another, please.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Beautifull looking animal, hope all goes well let us know when next to run for certain…..good luck!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

The improvement in muscule tone is exceptional, I am sure there are a lot of trainers who would love to know how David Flood does it.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

C’mon, Ginge, in the words of John McEnroe "You can’t be serious!!"

It Must Be Love has a tinge of white on both nostrils. The photo taken last Saturday was directly after a spin on the gallops and a swimming session -of course she’s going to look well defined, muscles bulging.

Her conformation is far from perfect, especially her legs. This won’t stop her competing, but it makes her more susceptible to problems and she’s had a few. David has said she’s got the engine of a Ferrari, but the wheels of a Ford Fiesta!!

What attracted me to join the syndicate was the honesty. Her problems were not hidden and well documented in the newsletters. This is the first racehorse I’ve ever been involved with, so excuse me for getting a bit emotional.

To everyone who has offered their best wishes I’d like to say thank-you on behalf of everyone involved with the filly. I think Mark Tompkins lost a 2YO making her debut on Tuesday, so it will be nice just to see her make the racecourse, see what she’s got and hope she comes back safe and sound.

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

Just had a look and this horse cost £2k at the sales. If it costs £1000 to get 3% of her for a year, that means that the training fees work out at £31K a year!!!

Somebody is being ripped off I feel.

• Total Posts 1982

I just signed into my e-mail account and found this message from John…

"I have asked bosranic to post this on my behalf as I am still waiting for registration to be approved but I feel I must respond to comments made by gingertipster.

I can assure you that the photographs are of the same horse, "It Must Be Love" purchased by Druid Racing on 1st December 2007, our first horse.

I feel very aggreived that you feel that Druid Racing would try to deceive anyone and particularly current or potential stake holders.

I go out of my way to keep all members informed by e-mail, telephone and monthly newsletter of all developments, good or bad.

Members and guests are welcome to visit the stables at any time and "official" monthly visits are always held.
    I am at the stables at least once every two weeks and sometimes several times a weekend with members!!

Not exactly the way to try to deceive or hide anything from anyone?

All members have received a CD made by myself charting the filly’s progress from 1 Dec 07 to end Feb 08.
    The next one will be out at the end of August.

You will not see any miraculous overnight improvement in her size/condition on the CD but a gradual build up with an excellent training program.
    The recent completion of the equine swimming pool at the stables has seen a dramatic improvement in her condition, especially her front end.

I would respectfully suggest that this is the reason for the improvement in muscle tone.

If anyone would like to view the filly I shall be at the stables at 9:30 on Saturday 5th July, please email info@druid-sportsandleisure.co.uk to book an appointment.

Thank you to everyone for the kind compliments and wishes of good luck for the filly, she is a beautiful animal.

kind regards
    John"

• Total Posts 1982

Just had a look and this horse cost £2k at the sales. If it costs £1000 to get 3% of her for a year, that means that the training fees work out at £31K a year!!!

Somebody is being ripped off I feel.

John has asked me to relay this message…

"Yes, the very backward 18 month old filly cost 2000 guineas at auction on 2nd Nov.

I would suggest you try to purchase a horse from an agent/trainer, you may be surprised at the mark up that is incurred between sales for the transport, feed, farrier, vets bills etc etc.

I had a few quotes before deciding on It Must Be Love and Results Racing, one asked £10000 for a colt bought at action for £4000, another wanted £36000 per year to lease a horse to stay in their yard.

It Must Be Love costs £1000 for 3%, yes that is £2.74 per 3% per day or 91p per day for 1%.

You will not be asked for any further monies once you have agreed your contract with us.

As is documented our filly has had two set backs to date, one minor and one major which incurred 5 weeks of intensive veterinary care.

If I offer value for money is open to opinion, ripping someone off… I don’t think so.

kind regards
    John"

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

David Flood is back to training after drugging a horse.

If owners did not send horses to trainers who break the rules in such a way, the deterant would be much greater for other trainers NOT to break the rules.

Therefore, if owners do not send their horses to trainers who are known to have broken the rules, NO HORSES NO CAREER.

A far larger deterant for trainers would help stamp out this sort of thing IN THE FUTURE.

SO I URGE OWNERS NOT TO SEND THEIR HORSES TO DAVID FLOOD.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

C’mon, Ginge, in the words of John McEnroe "You can’t be serious!!"

It Must Be Love has a tinge of white on both nostrils. The photo taken last Saturday was directly after a spin on the gallops and a swimming session -of course she’s going to look well defined, muscles bulging.

Her conformation is far from perfect, especially her legs. This won’t stop her competing, but it makes her more susceptible to problems and she’s had a few. David has said she’s got the engine of a Ferrari, but the wheels of a Ford Fiesta!!

What attracted me to join the syndicate was the honesty. Her problems were not hidden and well documented in the newsletters. This is the first racehorse I’ve ever been involved with, so excuse me for getting a bit emotional.

To everyone who has offered their best wishes I’d like to say thank-you on behalf of everyone involved with the filly. I think Mark Tompkins lost a 2YO making her debut on Tuesday, so it will be nice just to see her make the racecourse, see what she’s got and hope she comes back safe and sound.

Talk about "Can Not Be Serious".

If you thought honesty was so important you would not be owning a horse with this trainer mate.
    This may or may not be an honest syndacate, but if I were looking for an honest syndacate I would not be investing in one who has a horse with a trainer that has been dishonest in the past.

Mark

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

Ginge, you (as always) are welcome to your opinion.

You’ve made your feelings quite clear about the connections of the filly, but I’d advise you not to make such laughable, unsubstantiated claims in the future regarding the identity of the horse.

Again, I would like to say thank-you to everyone who have offered their best wishes and to those who have shown an interest in this thread.

I will keep you updated and informed about any race entries.

Take Care

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.