The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Adverts, is this the greatest ever made?

Home Forums Lounge Adverts, is this the greatest ever made?

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Greatest advert on TV at the moment…..that one with Brains dancing to "Rhythm is a Dancer". Classic! 8)

…which on its own has been enough to propel "Rhythm is a Dancer" by Snap back into the Top 40 singles for the first time since its initial release in 1992 (barring a very short-lived appearance of an instantly forgettable remix five years ago).

It hasn’t been officially re-released, but following changes to the rules for chart eligibility in January 2007, which allowed online sales to count even if there was no accompanying release of a physical CD single, the tens of thousands of legal, paid-for downloads of the Snap song in the last couple of weeks are counted as "chartable".

It explains why that sodding Phil Collins track from the sodding chocolate advert with the sodding fake gorilla bashing a sodding drumkit was a big hit last year, but quirky 70s track "Glass of Champagne" by Sailor was not a hit in 2006, despite having sold enough downloads off the back of its use in a Marks and Spencer ad to go Top 20 at least.

I was personally hoping that its use on that vitamin drink ad might have prompted thousands of downloads of the peerless "Living on the Ceiling" by Blancmange, dropping it back into the hit parade for the first time in 26 years, but that hasn’t happened as yet. Arsington sodmonster.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Jeremy- are we the same person? I really can’t think it conceivable that anyone else would want to see Blancmange and Snap back in the charts!

As for the best advert ever made- I’m still ever so worried that Belly is indeed going to get me! Bloody Reebok and their scaremongering.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Hihihihi, we must be! I wondered why the legend “Made in Embra'” was stitched into my socks.

“Rhythm is a Dancer”, of course, has long since attracted its share of derision for Turbo B’s rhyming couplet;

I’m serious as cancer
    when I say rhythm is a dancer

Yet the “serious as cancer” bit was actually originally a line in “Paid in Full” by Eric B and Rakim, one of the landmark tracks of 1980s hip-hop and one whose credibility is never questioned. Funny old world!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 1268

gc,

I don’t remember it from "Paid In Full" but it does sound familiar – are you sure it was them and that track?

I think the problem with the Snap lyric was that it was a key line in a heavily-rotated #1 hit. It shouldn’t make a difference, but somehow does…

nv

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Stop it, Jeremy. By virtue of Ministry of Sound’s 2001 album ‘Back to the Old Skool’, I know that as well! :oops:

(NV, to confirm, "Paid in Full" was by Erik B & Rakim, in 1987 IIRC)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Erratum – it was "I Ain’t No Joke" from the "Paid in Full" album.

Less haste, more speed, gc….

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I love "Rhythm is a Dancer" I’m partial to a bit of Disco when I’m under the influence as I am now 8)

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I’ve just seen John Lydon………………………doing an advert………………..for Country Life butter

:shock:

I mean……….

WTF??

What’s next? Weller in Persil ads? Chumbawumba as the new face of Ocean Finance?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

At least it was butter and not that flora muck.

He must be desperate for the dosh!

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

Give the boy a chance to grow up !

Maria Schneider never looked back
    after Brando slipped her on toast

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Does seem a lovely irony in Rotten doing ads though!

Colin

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Shocking state of affairs IMO. Lydon’s finished.

I sure I saw the sugarbabes doing a cheap shoe advert the other day too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Chumbawumba as the new face of Ocean Finance?

I can practically script it for them;

“Remember that the value of your mortgage can go down as well as up;

It gets knocked down
    But it goes up again
    You’re never going to keep it down”

etc.

I’d try to think of some equally weak Weller tie-in with Persil, but he’s the anti-christ in mine eyes anyway so I can’t be mithered.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

I’ve just seen John Lydon………………………doing an advert………………..for Country Life butter

I mean……….

WTF??

What’s next? Weller in Persil ads? Chumbawumba as the new face of Ocean Finance?

Not seen the ad but does he squeeze in a quote like "Never mind the Bullocks" ?

Or maybe to the tune of Anarchy in the UK

I want my Country Life
    I spread it, with a knife
    I dont want your Flora and
    I dont want your Stork
    I wanna destroy the marge cos I

I wanna BE buttery

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

Jagger or Richards would have to be dead…..in Richards’ case people may have trouble spotting the difference but anyway……….Lydon – laughable.

• Total Posts 2390

Shelia’s Wheels has been gubbed by the one with the women who has a problem…you know…bowel stuff. Imvho.

Dirty bitch :shock:

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.