The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is this dishonest?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is this dishonest?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

agree with both LGR and equus.

this sounds like another case (see the dishonesty in racing thread, page 8 ) where the critical question may be whether BennyB’s contract of wager is a “consumer supply contract” within the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2083):

http://www.bailii.org/uk/legis/num_reg/ … 92083.html

the palpable error rule is way beyond anything that operates by way of mistake / impossibility / frustration in the English law of contract generally.

any other business would have to take the lumps for a similar error made by its systems / staff .

that said, it is untested (as best i know – unless RedRiot can cite otherwise?) whether you can bring a wagering contract within the scope of those Regulations.

David Ashforth recently touched on the potentially changed legal situation regarding palpable error, this from the IBAS website:

http://www.ibas-uk.com/newsPress.php?newsID=30

best regards

wit

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

Thanks for all the responses chaps. I think I’m comfortable with the moral issue – after all, a bookie would try to screw you if it was your error.

On the issue of getting paid, I’m hopeful that as my bet was only £10ew that they will just settle it without realising when it was placed. After all, their systems had the horse at 50-1 when I placed the bet, and the winnings won’t be a large enough sum to force them to check all the details.

In answer to some questions, the bookie in question is a chain, but not one of the big three, and I am a regular but infrequent customer (as most of my betting is done online). I am not a big loser in the shop (even, perhaps), and I am known to the staff. I wouldn’t consider laying the bet off, as it’s not certain to be settled at 50-1, and besides I’d need to put a lot more money into my Betfair account!

• Total Posts 1063

Dear Mr.W/P,
    I’ve got some info. that could save you £500 and it’s available for the bargain price of £100…….
    Yours
    A concerned resident
    Tunbridge Wells

(Only jesting, Benny. But now you’ve let the cat out of the bag, I think you can safely say – "it’s on at 6/1, take it or have your stake back!" Sometimes it’s probably best to keep mum.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

There is not a chance that you’ll get paid out at fifties. Should Midday win, It will go down as palpable error and you’ll get paid whatever the correct odds were when the bet was laid.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

I don’t get this thing about bookies being b’s. How many of you have been fleeced by a bookmaker? In my experience they are mostly very genuine people.

I have lost my ticket and still been paid out.

How have you been screwed in the past by this bookie Benny? (If you pardon the expression).Or is this a generalisation? If you treat your bookie that way Benny, don’t be surpised if you are treated the same way.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    adivadiv
    • Total Posts 4

I think that you will find that if something is advertised in a shop window for a certain price, then that price will stand mistake or not. (I have been caught slacking a couple of times in my past businesses.) If your price was advertised on the screen or in the window, as long as you have proof of that price, ie. writen on your ticket, that is your price, full stop. But obviously you will have to prove that price. Lucky for us, we now have cameras in our phones for such anomalities (can’t smell that LOL)
    A book maker is a business the same as any other.

Ivor

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I don’t get this thing about bookies being b’s. How many of you have been fleeced by a bookmaker? In my experience they are mostly very genuine people.

I have lost my ticket and still been paid out.

Mark

:lol:
    I refer you to the 3.25 at Newbury and not an isolated incident. First Cat dumped his jockey and ran loose with no chance of running, despite this he was mysteriously backed from 20/1 to 12/1 to enable the thieves to deduct 5p in the pound from bets, this despite the field being reduced from 8 runners to 7.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Obviously the horse was 5/1 and someone on the otherside of the screen made a clerical error.

The most important question is did they phone the bet in. If they did and it was accepted then it will stand.

Been a long time since I had a bet in a betting shop but managers must phone in any bet that will take x amount out the book. It used to be as low as 150 quid but maybe it’s twice or more that amount now. Which means you can’t have very much on. If it was like 10 quid he might not calll it in immediatly but he’ll have got his balls felt when he did later if it’sover his authorised limit and you will get yours felt the minute he sees you again :lol: God luck with it..

Formidable (USA)
    • Total Posts 4

A great deal of encouragement that you might "get away with it", but I’m afraid to say that unfortunately you won’t. The "error" will be picked up upon settlement (if not before). Good try though!

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Personally, i think the bookie should payout – the odds you took were the odds they displayed.

In my local Corals the manager will give prices in the Racing Post even if they differ on the shop monitors.

Interestingly, I did not know until recently that the Post prices for the high street firms are bigger but only apply for their internet customers.

Quite a good piece about a punter not being paid out at Betfred on a "winning" slip. Though the circumstances could be argued by both sides – as ever!

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:6O … clnk&gl=uk

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

In my local Corals the manager will give prices in the Racing Post even if they differ on the shop monitors.

Interestingly, I did not know until recently that the Post prices for the high street firms are bigger but only apply for their internet customers.

I think you’re a tad misinformed; prices advertised in the trade press should be available across all platforms and although there are occasional differences, shop prices are equally likely to favour the punter.

The Betfred case is a related contingency, and while always an unsatisfactory outcome, it’s unrealistic to suggest such bets should be valid.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Zip
    I’ve come across a similar problem a few times recently.
    Ladbrokes will often show a price on the internet, but refuse to lay it in their shops. Quite frankly, it stinks; and I’d be fairly sure it’s a contravention of Trading Standards legislation.
    No doubt, it’s done so they can close down the sharper punters by virtue of recording their bets. but create a fuss and they’ll mark your card anyway, so once again it’s a lose/lose situation for our side of the counter. :roll:

ps to Rory
    And I’m not at all misinformed. On 3 occasions recently, I’ve gone back to my computer after placing a cash bet, and found the horse still at a higher price than the one I’ve taken.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Reet,

Racing Post advertised prices? I’d guess these are prices which have been specifically enhanced on the internet/phones, rather than shortened in shop. That’s a specific pattern at Ladbrokes and hardly one to complain about. Punters are given enough genuine cause for grievance, but this isn’t one.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rory
    Not RP prices; as far as I’m aware, but, pattern or not, it doesn’t give them carte blanche to ride roughshod over acceptable and honest advertising.
    Show me on oddschecker, ATR etc, where it says "only available to internet customers"?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Rory
    Not RP prices; as far as I’m aware, but, pattern or not, it doesn’t give them carte blanche to ride roughshod over acceptable and honest advertising.
    Show me on oddschecker, ATR etc, where it says "only available to internet customers"?

If you have oddschecker, you have access to internet betting surely? It’s perfectly common practice for companies to offer discounts on internet transactions, so no rules are being broken. Don’t think I’m standing up for all bookmaker practices ~ I’m m,erely pointing out that this is not an example of a bookmaker fleecing punters. It’s quite the reverse.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one Rory.
    Imo, there’s a clear difference between offering incentives to bet – with provisos, albeit in small print – and advertising prices nationally, without any indication they are not freely available.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I have no problem with the high street firms offering better prices for their net customers – but they should state this in print in the Post – as Reet has pointed out.

Zip

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.