The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Iris’s Gift is definitely going to win the Gold Cup

Home Forums Archive Topics Iris’s Gift is definitely going to win the Gold Cup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Calm down, i dont actually mean it!!!! I just want to see the general feeling about iris’s gift winning the gold cup – which i predict will be quite negative. Is 25/1 any value at all???? Is 250/1 any value?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Even in a dismally weak renewal I predict that there is only one place that IG will end up – on the floor.<br>His jumping will not hold up against experienced chasers and there will be pace on in the GC

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Iris’s Gift was owned by Halcon Genelardais at Warwick and as soon as he had a horse alongside him jumping at pace he fluffed his lines.

The same thing will happen in the Gold Cup.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

And just think how many runners there will be in the Gold Cup just thinking about how open the race is. I think even Dr R Pritchard may be tempted to have an entry and go for a bit of prize money!!!

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Must admit I have a sneaking regard for the good doctor who targets races which have cut up for his slowboats and sometimes collects place money down to 6th etc.<br>Generally he keeps out of the way, either because his mount is too slow to keep up anyway or out of good sense , though he did feature in a X country chase at Chelt this year when his horse tried to run out (or else he nearly took the wrong course!) when up front.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>People can say what they like but at the end of the day he’s only fallen ONCE in SIX chases. He may not be a natural jumper of fences obviously but much stranger things have happened than him putting in a clear round on the day.

And if he does put in a clear round, I just can’t see him finishing down the field as I think he’ll be right there in the mix.

Having said that, I won’t be having a bet on him ante-post but I like to back one at a decent price in the Gold Cup alongside my main selection so if he’s around the same price as he is now on the day as seems likely, I will probably have a small ‘fun’ bet on him.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

I watched iris’s gift debut chase this morning again, and was quite incredible how he stayed on all fours!!! He was all over the place. That was the start of his luck – getting beat by Darkness was the luck run out. And it ain’t coming back.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

I’ll be disappointed to see Iris’s Gift line up for the Gold Cup.

He’s a Cheltenham Festival winner and given connections an amazing time, but his form this year simply is not up to the job and the horse’s welfare IS an issue given his jumping style.

Obviously I can’t speak for the owners and have never been in their situation, but I hope that in the same position I would be grateful for the great times I’d had and not overface the horse.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Don’t know him personally but have friends in the good Doctor’s yard and must say it is a tremendous place, have a real soft spot for all of his horses but especially Alderley Girl who’s tiny and also Happy Hussar.<br>Will be good when he does have a big race winner, a lot of the horses in the yard would be serious tools in class D or E races but the handicapper murders them for finishing so close up in some cases (ie. Happy beating Marlborough) behind class horses.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

It strikes me that Robert Lester the owner is not the smartest bloke and doesn’t know a lot about racing!!! He should be happy with what he’s got – a world hurdle winner. Had iris’s gift stayed over hurdles, he’d be a dead cert to win the world hurdle again.

And how stupid can you get – he falls in a SCHOOLING session, yet connections still run him 10 days later.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

We’ve had this debate before Irish, you can’t go pot hunting for prize money and not expect to bugger up their handicap mark.

Top prize of the week goes to B. Johnson who’s Alph had a BHB mark of 117 prior to his weekend run. Was it worth splitting  Royal Shakespeare and Mister McGoldrick for £6,000?

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Was also very lucky to get that second – Mister McGoldrick had to swerve to avoid Robert Thornton which buggered up the momentum and could easily have got 2nd.

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

While I do not actually believe IG will win the GC I have to admit I put a few quid on e/w recently. Don’t know why really but the debate on this forum has been so anti IG winning I would in true Keven Keegan style "love it" if IG trotted up.

Horses make fools of us all and the way the festival is cutting up at the moment you never know. The horse has a good engine and if, just if, they can sort out the jumping then who is to say IG is not good enough.

I think the humble pie thread on this forum would be the longest yet. :wink:

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>I think the ‘humble pie’ thread would be as big as one that we had for a certain O’Brien horse a few years back;)

As a fan of Iris’s Gift it’s been a bumpy road all through his career with various setbacks but I’ve always kept the faith and it would be great to have a Gold Cup winner with class rather than one of the many good handicappers that will be lining up on the day.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

EC

For a nine-year-old the horse is still quite progressive and whilst I’d be surprised if he’s a 150 horse there’s plenty of reason to believe it is better than a 117 horse. It strikes me as extremely poor placing to go for a prize worth about 17 grand that if he was placed in would completely bugger his mark up. There was a thirty grand handicap at Musselburgh today he could have contested, won by 7 lengths like Crow Wood did and still only go up to 130 ish!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.