The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Staying Chasers

Home Forums Horse Racing Irish Staying Chasers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Been doing some work to my 15 lists of Ten To Follow.

Looking for Irish stayers for the Irish Gold Cup.
    Got Joncol and Cooldine as the main horses, Pandorama in a couple (for English Hennessey as well). Other than that, struggling to find anything else. Put English horses What A Friend and Planet Of Sound in there.

Suggestions appreciated.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 2440

Kempes? ? ?

China Rock? ? ?

• Total Posts 638

Trafford Lad is a stayer I like Ging’ but not sure on his current wellbeing (they never come back etc.)

• Total Posts 2184

Is The Listener still in training? Presume he’ll be over for the Durkan/Lexus/Hennessy again.

Neptune Collonges could be another for Lexus/Hennessy. Money Trix?

Pandorama will take the world of beating on heavy ground at Leopardstown.

• Total Posts 1511

Obviously the main one would have been Weapons Amnesty.

Looks like Pandaroma but you certainly would not want to be taking Noel Meade to take him over to England.

I guess Cooldine had a awful season last year so he may improve a lot on his placing last season.

Sizing Europe i think will be very good if he can stay that 3 mile trip

Participant
    • Total Posts 404

Yeah the listener’s going to have a tilt at the Durkan!Jessies dream is one horse to follow,Gordon Elliot regards him as far and away his best horse and thinks he could be anything! :wink:

• Total Posts 336

Joncol is top of my list and would expect Arbor Supreme to further improve this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Joncol is top of everyones list. Already have him in 5, Cooldine in 4 and Pandorama in 2. Planet Of Sound in 2 and What A Friend in 4.

Can’t really see Arbour Supreme improving enough to win a grade 1. Same Jessie’s Dream.
    The Listener I believe was flattered in his one win last term. Will be 12 years old come Feb. Stable had the one good weekend with two big wins, then practically nothing for the season. Want to be against him.

Can’t see Sizing Europe staying, but we will see at the weekend. Not my favourite horse, only have him in 2 lists so far. Very much has two ways of running and can see him going back to his old (shirking) days this year.

Neptunes Collonges and Money Trix are possible, although will the former be back to his best? And the latter is fragile, might win a good race then get injured again.

Once bitten twice skeptical with Trafford Lad, had him in the list last year.

Kempes and China Rock are both possible. Kempes won a poor novice grade 1 and might struggle in that company or Grade 2’s with a penalty, unless he can show significant improvement. Quite possible with Mullins, who was not in his usual form until late last season.
    China Rock was second in that Grade 1, needs to improve an awful lot for a Irish Gold Cup, but does not have a penalty in Grade 2’s if he goes that route. Ran well at Cheltenham in a handicap and might run in the Hennessey at Newbury, another bonus race.

Many thanks guys. Narrowed it down to (in no particular order) Kempes, China Rock, Neptunes Collonges, Money Trix or a third entry for Pandorama.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

With China Rock running well and a possible for the Newbury Hennessey I’ve plumped for him. And with Sizing Europe unexpectedly (well as far as I am concerned) staying 3 miles. His two entries are enough to cover the Irish Gold Cup for my 15 lists.

Thanks all, particularly Gaz who came up with China Rock. Will give him a pressie if the list with China Rock wins the jackpot!

Now for the Irish Champion Hurdle.

Got Solwhit in 5, Hurricane Fly in 4, Go Native 2 and Dunguib 2. Latter would be in more if he was running before the new year. Hurricane Fly would be in more if a sound horse.

Need two more Irish 2 mile hurdlers or likely to take the trip over from Britain.

Suggestions appreciated.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kempes.

• Total Posts 2440

With China Rock running well and a possible for the Newbury Hennessey I’ve plumped for him. And with Sizing Europe unexpectedly (well as far as I am concerned) staying 3 miles. His two entries are enough to cover the Irish Gold Cup for my 15 lists.

Thanks all, particularly Gaz who came up with China Rock. Will give him a pressie if the list with China Rock wins the jackpot!

Now for the Irish Champion Hurdle.

Got Solwhit in 5, Hurricane Fly in 4, Go Native 2 and Dunguib 2. Latter would be in more if he was running before the new year. Hurricane Fly would be in more if a sound horse.

Need two more Irish 2 mile hurdlers or likely to take the trip over from Britain.

Suggestions appreciated.

No problem, glad to help, my friend.

Oooh Irish Champion Hurdlers, there is a difficult one.

Will be interesting to see how Go Native comes back this season. I personally think he could well pick up a few races this season, but again fall short in the Champion Hurdle.

As for Hurricane Fly, has lots of ability but seems to be a bit fragile at the moment.

Good luck with that one my friend, will be interesting to see the suggestions within this thread.

• Total Posts 2440

Hidden Universe is the only one i can think of at the moment, and im unsure if he will be aimed at the Champion Hurdle at all.

Only one that springs to mind at the moment though.

• Total Posts 2184

Hidden Universe is a novice.

Dunguib (won’t run till after Christmas though)
    Rite Of Passage (not 100% sure on DK’s plan for him but there’s a chance he might take in Leopardstown at Christmas)
    Voler La Vedette (last season in training so Murphy is keen to try her against the boys. Over the top by Punchestown last year so I’d write off that run)

Solwhit is an absolute must especially with HF being so fragile.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Is Thousand Stars definitely going chasing? He was improved over hurdles and if that continues could develop in to a Grade 1 animal. Yet is small and would not want him in there as a novice chaser.

I think Donnas Palm is the one. Might not quite have the ability of a Hurricane Fly, but ultra consistent and still young enough (6) to improve. Second in last years race too. Beat Aitmatov on reappearance.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 2184

Thousand Stars has definitely schooled over fences anyway. Don’t know if he’s 100% to go that route but it looks likely.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Voler Ginge :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

I will be putting Voler in there too (with Donnas Palm). Particularly as Go Native will have a similar campaign to Dunguib, only out in the new year. Though do think Voler is a false price in the Morgiana. Suppose will have to take a chance on Hurricane Fly; Irish Hurdling seems low in number of top class hurdlers who will have a full tour.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.