The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish St Leger 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish St Leger 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

(3:20) 251D The Irish Field St.Leger (Group 1) €154,550.00 ( 1m 6f – 3yo+ )[MAX 30] RRFrm

4-172 1 Age Of Aquarius (APO’Brien) – . ……. (115)
    12251 2 Alandi (JMOxx) – . ………………………… (116)
    124-2 3 All The Aces (MAJarvis (in GB)) – . …………
    5-028 4 Bashkirov (GB) (LComer) – . …………… (95)
    23112 5 Changingoftheguard (APO’Brien) – . (112)
    6 Clowance (GB) (RCharlton (in GB)) ……….
    6-011 7 Moon Indigo (GB) (APO’Brien) – . ……. (96)
    -3232 8 Mourayan (JMOxx) – . …………………… (115)
    5-111 9 Profound Beauty (DKWeld) – . ………. (113)
    1237- 10 Royal And Regal (MAJarvis (in GB))……….
    11 Schiaparelli (GER) (SBSuroor (in GB)) – ……………………
    -3446 12 Suailce (DKWeld) – ………………………… (98 )
    13 Tastahil (BWHills (in GB)) – ……………………
    51-61 14 Yeats (APO’Brien) – . …………………….. (122)

Hard to look beyond Yeats repeating his ’07 triumph in this race. Presume he’ll be odds on but he was turned over by Kastoria when he went off an unbackable price in ’06. Maybe another filly in Profound Beauty will give him most to do this year.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Yeats might not run if the ground is soft and if that’s the case Profound Beauty or one of the John Oxx pair could take the spoils.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Couldn’t help but be impressed by Profound Beauty the other day who absolutely murdered Mourayan but with the latter possibly going to Doncaster it could be Oxx had let him down a notch or two as part of his prep.

The problem is neither Yeats or Profound Beauty would want the current soft/heavy ground and I can’t see AOB subjecting Yeats to this slog of a race.

I would suspect this race could cut up something awful and be a walk in the park for Alandi.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

(3:20) 251D The Irish Field St.Leger (Group 1)
    €160,050.00 ( 1m 6f – 3yo+ )

1 8 Alandi(116) (JMOxx) – MJKinane ……….. 9,11
    2 2 All The Aces (MAJarvis (in GB)) – PRobinson ……………. 9,11
    3 7 Bashkirov (GB)(95) (LComer) – . ……….. 9,11
    4 6 Schiaparelli (GER) (SBSuroor (in GB)) – OPeslier……………… 9,11
    5 3 Yeats(122) (APO’Brien) – ………………….. 9,11
    6 1 Clowance (GB) (RCharlton (in GB)) – KJManning……………. 9,08
    7 4 Profound Beauty(113) (DKWeld) – PJSmullen ……………. 9,08
    8 5 Moon Indigo (GB)(96) (APO’Brien) – . …. 9,00

Ballydoyle yet to announce their riding arrangements. Ground is currently soft on the round course at the Curragh and soft to heavy in the straight. Good drying conditions today though so hopefully Yeats and Profound Beauty will run.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

This is a very hard race to get any sort of angle on.

I think Yeats is running purely because its his last run ever and want to show him off in front of the Irish Fans before he heads off to the shed.

Alandi looks good one week and then desperate the next….

Profound Beauty is a astounding race mare…she is just the real deal and credit to moyglare…she would be my choice at this stage.

Schiaperrli(spelling awful)….Meh he won a couple of egg and spoon races cant see him winning this race but Godolphin are in superb form is must be said and deserve any success going

Duke Of Marmalade
    • Total Posts 79

Unfortunately I don’t fancy Yeats for this at all. Alandi and Profound Beauty both appear in with a good shout but Schiaparelli looks likely to get his ground and the distance seems to suit him well, with Godolphin horses in good form he just gets the nod for me.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my points system

144 schiaparelli
    137 yeats
    135 alandi
    134 profound beauty
    130 all the aces
    123 moon indigo
    122 clowance
    112 bashkirov

will back schiaparelli

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

This is a very hard race to get any sort of angle on.

I think Yeats is running purely because its his last run ever and want to show him off in front of the Irish Fans before he heads off to the shed.

Alandi looks good one week and then desperate the next….

Profound Beauty is a astounding race mare…she is just the real deal and credit to moyglare…she would be my choice at this stage.

Schiaperrli(spelling awful)….Meh he won a couple of egg and spoon races cant see him winning this race but Godolphin are in superb form is must be said and deserve any success going

Really hope your wrong about Yeats but taking on board what you say about Alandi I had alook at his form. I agree he’s in and out but don’t forget how inexperienced he is. If it was a case of looking at his bare form I doubt if I would fancy him at all but this horse may have improved over te last couple of months.

He wasn’t expected to beat Yeats and although beaten by Hindu Kush and Profound Beauty he looked good in a fair race last time out.

The fact Morayan and he under the same ownership sopeaks volumes and if this horse wasn’t strongly fancied wouldn’t Mick Kinane be at Doncaster?

Schiaparelli isn’t a horse I am bothered about and will get to him later.

I hadn’t seen Profound Beauty until she beat Morayan and she knocked me out. She looks pure class and while the ground may be a bit against her if she goes in it and Mourayan was 100% last time I think she’ll win or go very close.

Why Clowance has been snt across was my first question then I noticed she’s owned by some Holiday company. Obviously useful but looks more like an advertising campign than a serious entry.

All the Aces is a class act in my book. Was off for a while and cam eback last week with a good second to Kirklees. Jarvis is a wiley old fox and you can bet the horses needed that. Hell love the ground he’ll, improve for the trip and is no 9/1 shot.

Yeats? The problem is if he wins and you don’t back him the first question is "Why am I so stupid?" This is Dr. Vincents Day and I hope Aiden isn’t sending him here just for the Irish to say oh look there he is. Johnny Murtagh heads to Doncaster leavey Heff to ride Yeats..I am supposing that’s beacuse the St Leger is a Classic and not because Yeats is unfit. Heff taking over is a little bit of a surprise as he’s ridden 1 winner from his last 56 mounts, if I didn’t know better I would think he had a betfair acount :lol: O’Brien obviously thinks he’s the man so it’s no great concern.

Yeats on this ground is a worry as well but it’s not the expected heavy and it’s a dry sunny day….so they say. I’ll be damned if I am going to back against him.

Now I have a fair bit of Irish blood in my veins (It’s my Island I own it :wink: ) and we’re none to keen in these Arabs and Frenchies coming over and plundering out trophies, so my suggestion is lay Schiaparelli big time and send them packing back to where they belong :lol:

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I will be backing Schiaperelli in this one.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Fist where do we start????

Yeats was desperate and i can sit here proudly after saying that he was never going to win but it shocked me how badly he performed. There was no point sending the horse out to his Irish Fans and then for him to run like a drain. That should be it……off to the shed…if he runs in france its shameful.

Profound Beauty just couldnt get through the ground….they were worried about it before hand and rightly so….she kept plugging on at same pace but eyes are still smiling for the Melbourne Cup it must be said. I didnt think that they were overly interested in winning the race it must be said. They took a very cool approach to the whole thing.

Clowance ran a cracker….what a run didnt expect her to do that sort of performance. Very good training it must be said.

The Godolphin horse looked so good he traded 1/10 but Pesiler decision to run against the rail meant he blew it on the slower ground. He fell into the biggest "hole in the ground" the Curragh has ever seen. Good run all the same to nick some prizemoney.

Alandi was very good….Kinane looking like a demon in the saddle….in fact i would say that was Kinane’s greatest strength ride this past decade….never seen him clatter a horse with the whip so much. In fact he couldnt get his breath nearly 8 mins after the race in the post race interview on irish tv.

Good ald year for OXX :lol: ….and if he can get into the head of Mouryan he could have had a LEGER winner in the UK. The horse was flying at the finish…he cleary has mental issues but has got talent. Quirky is not the word

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Mouryan was flying twice. First Berry was cut off by Spencer then he had to start again and was flying the second time also. Terrible,disastrous ride. Nobody in their right mind rides into the eye of the hurricane. Watch it on ATR if you don’t believe me. I bet Oxx had dreams of getting the double for the Aga Khan.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Mouryan was flying twice. First Berry was cut off by Spencer then he had to start again and was flying the second time also. Terrible,disastrous ride. Nobody in their right mind rides into the eye of the hurricane. Watch it on ATR if you don’t believe me. I bet Oxx had dreams of getting the double for the Aga Khan.

I know what you mean, andy, but that was in the English Leger – this is the Irish Leger thread.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Clowance I think I heard is not the best horse to train and is not the best to ride as she makes up her own mind usually, I think she should have won this today and was unlucky not to do, she left herself too much to do and she was a thunder bolt from no where.

Obviously a soft ground filly who will go very close in ever race she comepetes on soft, I think she is the one to take out from this race after being gone for that time.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Fist where do we start????

Yeats was desperate and i can sit here proudly after saying that he was never going to win but it shocked me how badly he performed. There was no point sending the horse out to his Irish Fans and then for him to run like a drain. That should be it……off to the shed…if he runs in france its shameful.

Profound Beauty just couldnt get through the ground….they were worried about it before hand and rightly so….she kept plugging on at same pace but eyes are still smiling for the Melbourne Cup it must be said. I didnt think that they were overly interested in winning the race it must be said. They took a very cool approach to the whole thing.

Clowance ran a cracker….what a run didnt expect her to do that sort of performance. Very good training it must be said.

The Godolphin horse looked so good he traded 1/10 but Pesiler decision to run against the rail meant he blew it on the slower ground. He fell into the biggest "hole in the ground" the Curragh has ever seen. Good run all the same to nick some prizemoney.

Alandi was very good….Kinane looking like a demon in the saddle….in fact i would say that was Kinane’s greatest strength ride this past decade….never seen him clatter a horse with the whip so much. In fact he couldnt get his breath nearly 8 mins after the race in the post race interview on irish tv.

Good ald year for OXX :lol: ….and if he can get into the head of Mouryan he could have had a LEGER winner in the UK. The horse was flying at the finish…he cleary has mental issues but has got talent. Quirky is not the word

Shocking? I think you are being overly nice and a lot of Irish people will have had quite a bit to say about that performance. I thought he looked beat after 3 furlongs and was never going and had all but forgotten he was in the race 5f from home. I wouldn’t be puting that down to the ground either……..Clowance ran a cracker and obviously not there just to make up the numbers and must have a great future if kept sound.

As it turned out I was glad I went for the Schiaparelli lay rather than backing Alandi as those who did back him must have got some fright when that thing came flying up the centre of the course……Gold Cup horse of the future perhaps?

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Why would Irish people have a lot to say about that performance Fist? Everything yesterday was against the horse. He’s never ran well at the Curragh even when Aidan has worked him after racing. He had ran in the Leger three times before yesterday and only won once in 2007 when he scraped home from Scorpion. It is possible that 1m6 is far too sharp for the horse nowadays and the tacky drying ground didn’t help either. The betting told a story and if Ballydoyle really fancied him yesterday then there’s no way Johnny and Aidan would have gone to Doncaster.

I thought Peslier, a jockey I’ve a lot of time for, made a huge error in not coming up the stands side. Pat Smullen had said when interviewed on RTÉ that any bit of decent ground that was there was under the stands rail. They were finishing walking yesterday and Peslier’s decision to stick to the far rail cost him the race. Kinane gave the winner a fabulous ride but he was possibly blowing harder than Alandi as he was being led back in!!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I thought Peslier, a jockey I’ve a lot of time for, made a huge error in not coming up the stands side. Pat Smullen had said when interviewed on RTÉ that any bit of decent ground that was there was under the stands rail. They were finishing walking yesterday and Peslier’s decision to stick to the far rail cost him the race.

I agree. I actually said during the race – what are you doing Peslier ?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Clowance would have won if given a better ride. Got boxed in on the home bend as the front two went clear and despite making giant strides up the straight, got there and had no more left to give.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.