The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2017

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Well done BigG
    Btw if anyone fancy’s Capri for the Leger you can still get 14’s with betbright only 6/1 elsewhere

Blackbeard to conquer the World

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Well done BigG
    Btw if anyone fancy’s Capri for the Leger you can still get 14’s with betbright only 6/1 elsewhere

It will cost you your account though! Looks like an ‘asleep at the wheel’ job rather than an intentional position.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13251

Cheers Nathan, 14/1 would very much be of interest but they are one of the few bookies I
    don’t have an account with and I’d imagine when you try and get a decent bet on at that
    price alarm bells would be ringing and it would be rejected. I’ll hang fire a bit until
    intentions are a bit clearer.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Hard to see why the form of the Derby should be reversed. I just hope Douglas mcarthur gets to run on its merits. If ground was on the soft side then capri would appeal.

Douglas mcarthur did run on its merits but a combination of the distance and the going beat him. I’d like to see him in the eclipse but I think he’ll be rested till the autumn and cliffs of mother will go to the eclipse. Capri did what he was always threatened to do and outstayed them on the ground. It looks like he was headed by the second and the third but battled back. He looks nailed on the leger winner but the way aiden was talking he might get a break now. The money came for him no doubt from the lads so a good day all round for them. Spare a thought for the connections of yucatan as he must have been in the finish if he wasn’t sidelined.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Yucatan has only won a maiden from six starts. For me, it’s fanciful to see him as unlucky and that he might have won it.

Yucatan was second to Rivet in the Racing Post Trophy and that was just about the worst renewal of the race sometimes seen as the best guide to the following year’s Derby.

The Racing Post Trophy saw Capri as the original, and slightly odds-on favourite for the race. I felt he might be vulnerable to something with a bit more toe and backed Rivet at 7/1. In the end Capri didn’t run and I collected on the Haggis horse, however, I never saw him as a Derby horse.

That Racing Post Trophy has seen 28 subsequent runners and, wait for it, only ONE winner. That one winner was The Anvil, who won a Dundalk maiden at odds of 3/10 Fav, and he has been rubbish ever since.

How bad does a race have to get before people actually look back at and admit “You know, that was a load of shite”?

I know that, sometimes, a big priced winner will be looked upon with suspicious eyes and perhaps be underestimated next time up. People may feel there is value in backing the horse again. That was not the case at all with Wings Of Eagles here though. The horse was favourite for the race pretty much from the start. We all knew that the Epsom jockey would be replaced by Ryan Moore, and tipping services such as Timeform awarded the horse top rating coming in here today, expecting that he could follow up in exactly the same style.

It’s was not more than five minutes after today’s race that some people start making excuses for Wings Of Eagles. I can only assume they were all on him at Epsom and knew that he had a turn of foot deliberately hidden by Seamie Heffernan in the Chester Vase, so that connections could put a no-name jockey on him to see 40/1 on the boards and then promptly forget to back him in some bizarre own goal.

With all the trials that were won by short margins and then the Derbies themselves panning out the same, you might think it was obvious that mediocrity was the reason. Official ratings and other ratings had it very tight but still no general acceptance that there is no top dog in an average year.

I looked at last year’s Derby and thought it was average and I can never recall a Derby runner-up so piss poor that it ended up in a 2M 5F and couldn’t win that either. I think I would back Finian’s Oscar to do US Army Ranger for toe.

Sometimes you just get a very average Classic.

I would expect Capri to be the new top dog in Aidan’s camp. That means he will be deemed too good for the Leger and they will try to win a good 12F race with him. The Leger usually ends up with 2nd, maybe even 3rd, string horses in it. You need a lesser rated horse for that contest.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Totally agree that there is no top dog Stevie but does that automatically mean that they are no good? Using OR’s, since the Derby you have had Khalidi (14th) run to 114, Permian (10th) run to 115 and win, Capri (6th) run to 119 and win, Benbatl run to 114 and win and then Cracksman and WOE run to roughly the same 118-120. Definitely no top dog but definitely not dogs either! There are none getting anywhere near the 125 mark that would equate to a proper Group 1 horse but I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two get there before the end of the season or into next year. I don’t think all of them are necessarily “the finished article” yet. Anyway will be fascinating to observe and we will pick up more clues as the season progresses and they race their elders.

I know you are fond of beating up last years Derby with US Army Ranger but don’t forget in that race you also had Ulysses, Deauville, Cloth of Stars, Wings Of Desire and Idaho who are all running at the top level still and holding their own. Again I would still agree that it wasn’t a vintage Derby that year but it wasn’t the worst and a lot of them are coming into their own now.

The top trainers invariably run their top horses in the Derby (obviously!) so it doesn’t always pay to write them off too quickly.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

I know you are fond of beating up last years Derby with US Army Ranger but don’t forget in that race you also had Ulysses, Deauville, Cloth of Stars, Wings Of Desire and Idaho who are all running at the top level still and holding their own. Again I would still agree that it wasn’t a vintage Derby that year but it wasn’t the worst and a lot of them are coming into their own now.

Bit of a shonky comparison Joni! Ulysses, Cloth Of Stars and Deauville didn’t stay 1m 4f and can’t really be used to make that point. Meanwhile Wings Of Desire and Idaho are just members of the supporting cast in what is also a non-vintage time for older horses at 1m 4f.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Love that word “shonky” !! Never heard it before!! Why would it matter? We all look back at Frankel’s maiden win and say what a great race it was as it threw up Frankel, Nathaniel, Genius Beast and Colour Vision. Only Frankel had any success at the actual distance. The above mentioned are all middle-distance horses holding their own in Group 1 company and Idaho just won a Hardwicke. Do you judge a race on how many winners it throws up over the exact distance of the actual race or do you judge it on the amount of winners it throws up full stop? I know which one I do.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Well done BigG

It will cost you your account though! Looks like an ‘asleep at the wheel’ job rather than an intentional position.

Who decides that the account will get closed?, would be ironic if it was the ‘asleep at the wheel’ person…… :scratch:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7870

Yucatan has only won a maiden from six starts. For me, it’s fanciful to see him as unlucky and that he might have won it.

Yucatan was second to Rivet in the Racing Post Trophy and that was just about the worst renewal of the race sometimes seen as the best guide to the following year’s Derby.

The Racing Post Trophy saw Capri as the original, and slightly odds-on favourite for the race. I felt he might be vulnerable to something with a bit more toe and backed Rivet at 7/1. In the end Capri didn’t run and I collected on the Haggis horse, however, I never saw him as a Derby horse.

That Racing Post Trophy has seen 28 subsequent runners and, wait for it, only ONE winner. That one winner was The Anvil, who won a Dundalk maiden at odds of 3/10 Fav, and he has been rubbish ever since.

How bad does a race have to get before people actually look back at and admit “You know, that was a load of shite”?

I know that, sometimes, a big priced winner will be looked upon with suspicious eyes and perhaps be underestimated next time up. People may feel there is value in backing the horse again. That was not the case at all with Wings Of Eagles here though. The horse was favourite for the race pretty much from the start. We all knew that the Epsom jockey would be replaced by Ryan Moore, and tipping services such as Timeform awarded the horse top rating coming in here today, expecting that he could follow up in exactly the same style.

It’s was not more than five minutes after today’s race that some people start making excuses for Wings Of Eagles. I can only assume they were all on him at Epsom and knew that he had a turn of foot deliberately hidden by Seamie Heffernan in the Chester Vase, so that connections could put a no-name jockey on him to see 40/1 on the boards and then promptly forget to back him in some bizarre own goal.

With all the trials that were won by short margins and then the Derbies themselves panning out the same, you might think it was obvious that mediocrity was the reason. Official ratings and other ratings had it very tight but still no general acceptance that there is no top dog in an average year.

I looked at last year’s Derby and thought it was average and I can never recall a Derby runner-up so piss poor that it ended up in a 2M 5F and couldn’t win that either. I think I would back Finian’s Oscar to do US Army Ranger for toe.

Sometimes you just get a very average Classic.

I would expect Capri to be the new top dog in Aidan’s camp. That means he will be deemed too good for the Leger and they will try to win a good 12F race with him. The Leger usually ends up with 2nd, maybe even 3rd, string horses in it. You need a lesser rated horse for that contest.

Steve i wish CAPRI was top dog for AOB at Epsom nice 50/1 winner that been instead i miss out i do.Wish we got more rain at Epsom

Participant
    • Total Posts 6190

Meanwhile Wings Of Desire and Idaho are just members of the supporting cast in what is also a non-vintage time for older horses at 1m 4f.

This time last year you could of got 20/1 for Highland Reel for the King George after coming second in the Hardwicke. No one gave him a chance, and even after winning the Breeders Cup and coming second in the Arc people thought it was a fluke.

Soon he will be Europes highest earning horse of all time. A bit early to be calling those two supporting cast two months into the season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Well done BigG and GT :good: :good:
    Naturally sad that Cracksman went down by such a small margin, but it was Capri’s day to shine and well done him.

Has anyone got a link to the race please?
    Would really appreciate as can’t find anything substantial on Youtube and been really busy this weekend.
    Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2017-07-01/curragh/432063/dubai-duty-free-irish-derby-(group-1)

I just use the sportinglife website for replays. You have to register but it doesn’t cost anything. You can do the Pick 7 with the same login details.

Dex
    Participant
    • Total Posts 90

Derby hero Wings of Eagles retired after Curragh injury

Wings Of Eagles has incurred a fracture to his near-fore sesamoid joint.

O’Brien said: “It’s shocking news. Wings Of Eagles has suffered a bad fracture to his near-fore sesamoid and has been retired. He will have a pin inserted in his leg but, unfortunately, his racing career is over.”

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/derby-hero-wings-of-eagles-retired-after-curragh-injury/291499

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Well done Capri winners, especially Big g who kept the faith with this fellow. Sad news re- wings of eagles, hope he goes on to have a good career at stud :-(

Feel cracksman the one to take out of the race however. Just got a feeling that this horse will take down a big one before the season is out, maybe the king george or champions stakes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

WOE. :(

Apart from lost bets, the biggest frustration in situations like these is never knowing if the horse could have fulfilled its potential. Pace and hustle-bustle of an Arc likely to have been perfect for WOE.That’s not to say he’d have won, but the race itself, judged on his Derby performance, could have been designed for him.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Am I being a bit cynical by thinking his injury seems a bit timely? By not backing his Epsom win up yesterday it sort of proved (if it needed proving) he’s not necessarily the best of his generation. Any further defeats would have driven his stud fee right down. As it is he’s retired with a Derby win and place in the bag.

Cynical or…..

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.