The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2017

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

AOB likely to win in own backyard so I have combo forecast on Douglas McArthur Wings of Eagles and Capri. And a bit to win on Douglas McArthur
    14-1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

A characteristically bold shout, Steve that Wings of Eagles is not really a turn of foot horse. Almost last into the straight, checked twice, seemed impossible 1f out and he wins comfortably. As mentioned in the Derby thread, I think his price made 98% of people file him under one-off/lucky. We shall find out today but I suspect that if he fails – and I don’t think he will – it won’t be for want of a turn of foot.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

It looks a really good race with the French form about to be tested. I think the conditions will play into Cracksman’s hands. Frankel was at his bets with just that little bit of cut and I think you will see his son reverse form with WOE on this slower ground. In both the Derby and the conditions race at Epsom you can just see Cracksman start “climbing” as he struggles with the track and ground. I don’t think you will see that today. Also this is only his 4th run and he is entitled to improve again. Waldgeist is a massive danger but I don’t think it could have been too soft for him so I think the drying conditions won’t be in his favour. All in all a fascinating race.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

I know people have crabbed the Derby form and saying the winner was lucky but IMO he won it fair and square but that is not to say he will win again today. Different track and the race could be run totally different. I do think DM will run a big race considering he was completely sacrificed at Epsom and if he is allowed to run his race and not be in it to set it up for someone else then I think he will go very close. :good: :good: I think there are three runners WOE DM and Cracksman and DM is my bet at the prices!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

A characteristically bold shout, Steve that Wings of Eagles is not really a turn of foot horse. Almost last into the straight, checked twice, seemed impossible 1f out and he wins comfortably. As mentioned in the Derby thread, I think his price made 98% of people file him under one-off/lucky. We shall find out today but I suspect that if he fails – and I don’t think he will – it won’t be for want of a turn of foot.

If WOE did quicken it wasn’t by much, Joe. Winning more because others were weakening than him quickening. Wouldn’t say he was “lucky” as such, but do believe he needed a certain type of race to prevail (strongly run) and am as sure as I can be that Steve is correct; WOE does not possess a real turn of foot. Still might win today.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A turn of foot is relative Joe. Plenty people think a horse is quickening up when the truth is that the ones in front are slowing down because they are tired.

As I said earlier in the thread, the race report that stated Eminent was staying on and didn’t quite have the pace was utter bullshit. It wasn’t a fluke that Wings Of Eagles won, it’s just that he beat at least two who didn’t last home and who are being dropped in distance and another who has not yet won at the trip.

If you watch Wings Of Eagles in the Chester Vase, he is under pressure a fair way from home. He had plenty time to catch Venice Beach but although he stays on well he doesn’t catch him and in the end only collars the weakening The Anvil by a nose. I think he’s a strong stayer and unsurprisingly is favourite for the St Leger but it’s unlikely he will run there.

Waldgeist was beaten by the French 2000 Guineas winner last time. Would you say that Wings Of Eagles could beat Brametot for a turn of foot?

As I say, it’s all relative, and when horses are tiring it makes it look like the other horse is quickening. In most races they are all slowing in relative terms in the final furlong.

Chester Vase Replay:-

http://www.racinguk.com/news/article/51199/life-is-a-beach-for-aidan-obrien-as-venice-leads-home-one-two-three-in-ches

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Watching the Vase again – as is often the case – The Heff wasn’t strong in a finish once the Coolmore first string hit the front.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Of the 5 Coolmore horses, three have been backed. Capri, Douglas and Taj shortening. So apart from the rank outsider the only other not to be backed so far is the favourite… Which – along with jockey bookings in the Epsom Derby and what happened there – suggests WOE does not impress with his speed on home gallops.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Mediocre bunch of horses as I said at Epsom. No turn of foot from Wings Of Eagles.

I rest my case.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Good calls Steve and GT and well done Capri backers. No excuses for the fav.

Participant
    • Total Posts 656

Mediocre bunch of horses as I said at Epsom. No turn of foot from Wings Of Eagles.

I rest my case.

You have to put that down to the ground in my opinion. McDonogh reckons the ground is riding a lot slower than the official going, Capri loves the ease in the ground and evidently the favourite doesn’t.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4165

None of them will win this years’ Arc. They all look very moderate to say the least.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

Well done BigG and GT.
    A close finish and exciting if you had money on any of the first three, but agree no apparent superstars.

My pick Douglas McM faded despite not having to make the running. So either not good enough, or doesn’t stay, or both.

Participant
    • Total Posts 656

I rest my case.

You have to put that down to the ground in my opinion. McDonogh reckons the ground is riding a lot slower than the official going, Capri loves the ease in the ground and evidently the favourite doesn’t.

But yes I do agree, the 3yo colts look a mediocre bunch.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A thrilling race – gutted for Cracksman (and myself!) but the winner had the run of the race and the others couldn’t quite get there. The 3rd race to feature Derby runners and the 3rd race where Derby runners dominate the finish leaving the French form rather on the floor. There might not be a standout superstar but they are all solid horses and the best of the European crop on this evidence. Will be interesting to see the Eclipse and KG when we will see how they truly compare but I would be careful about writing this years lot off.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7870

Well done to backers of CAPRI but am chucking my hair out all last year 2 of my ante post bets for classics. Were CAPRI for derby and CORONET for oaks what happens both not win for me and not on them when they win irish derby or Ribblesdale :negative: oh well hope CORONET wins leger

Participant
    • Total Posts 13251

Well done BigG and GT.
    A close finish and exciting if you had money on any of the first three, but agree no apparent superstars.

My pick Douglas McM faded despite not having to make the running. So either not good enough, or doesn’t stay, or both.

Cheers greenasgrass, he may not be a superstar but he’s one very tough horse who deserved his day in the
    sun on ground he’s been crying out for recently. I must admit though, that my nerves were getting a bit
    frayed in that last 100 yards :whistle:

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.