The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Derby 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Derby 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 651 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Gio too young/not good enough. We’ll find out next time I imagine.

Jack Hobbs a cert for the Leger if he runs on that run.

Winner very impressive, but in the end he’s not had to run better than he did in the Dante.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Winner very impressive, but in the end he’s not had to run better than he did in the Dante.

I’ll post some figures on Thursday, Z, but I’ll be surprised if that wasn’t at least 6lbs better than the Dante.

What did surprise me, though, was the news that the time was a second or so slower than Workforce’s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Told you guys you were over-thinking this. There were always only two horses in this race, two exceptionally good horses. Doubters will doubt, but thanks Mr Gosden. Got me two forecasts now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Gio too young/not good enough. We’ll find out next time I imagine.

Jack Hobbs a cert for the Leger if he runs on that run.

Jack Hobbs won’t stay the St Leger distance. Won’t run.
    How anyone can think Golden Horn did not improve from York baffles me Zarc? :scratch:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Zarkava wrote:</div>

I’ll post some figures on Thursday, Z, but I’ll be surprised if that wasn’t at least 6lbs better than the Dante.

What did surprise me, though, was the news that the time was a second or so slower than Workforce’s.

Workforce ran on abnormally firm ground Maurice.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 187

Brilliant race and wonderful winner…well done Golden Horn backers and great news for lovers of the Derby.
    I was totally wrong about his stamina and will revisit my methods but there were consolations…

My 1-2-3 was 3-2-1 so if I can paraphrase the great Eric Morecambe…”I knew all the right notes…….but not necessarily in the right order.”
    Storm The Stars was terrific and landed the 66/1 each way element without being anywhere near the class of the winner…good result though and a £1 combination tricast showed a small profit.

What an exciting horse Golden Horse is…you could do anything with him, anything.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

He’s not had to improve though, has he? 2 3/4L back to Jack Hobbs at York, 3 1/2L today. Jury is still out on the winner IMO.

And I’d be surprised if Jack Hobbs doesn’t have the Leger as a potential target. Gosden was toying with the idea of running him in the King Edward (one of his favourite Leger prep races), until Godolphin bought him.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Of course he’s had to improve because his stablemate has improved. Look at the gaps back to the rest. The Dante was a very good race Zark and these are two very good horses who will both be rated well into the 120’s after this. As for your opinion on GH – yours would be a one man jury I reckon!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Very well done all the Golden Horn supporters and backers. That was visually very impressive and my immediate post-race thoughts are that the front two are very good indeed.

No doubts excuses of sorts will emerge for some of the beaten ones but only time will tell if they have any hope of reversing the form. Hard to imagine it.

Well done again, guys. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Looked as though we were both right Maurice.
    Golden Horn and Jack Hobbs are both better than the average Derby winner and second. Me right.
    Most of the rest are poorer than average. You right.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Well there you go……
    A very good horse, a complete freak to win at that distance with his pedigree and he didn’t look to have a hard race.
    Exciting prospect for the rest of the season.
    If one didn’t stay for me , apart from Success Days, it was Elm Park.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

On todays evidence Peacock wins the Breeders Cup Classic……
    If only Hannon could see.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Well there you go……
    A very good horse, a complete freak to win at that distance with his pedigree and he didn’t look to have a hard race.
    Exciting prospect for the rest of the season.
    If one didn’t stay for me , apart from Success Days, it was Elm Park.

Elm Park went too fast from the gate, pulled and ran too free.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Best two horses finished one and two. Giovanni caneletto looked not ready for this race as we expected and Kilimanjaro looked a queens vase horse to me. The rest were pretty poor including Elm Park who didn’t seem happy at any stage. How good the winner is only time will tell but the proximity of storm the stars to the winner means I doubt he is one of the better Derby winners. Time of course may change that view.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Best two horses finished one and two. Giovanni caneletto looked not ready for this race as we expected and Kilimanjaro looked a queens vase horse to me. The rest were pretty poor including Elm Park who didn’t seem happy at any stage. How good the winner is only time will tell but the proximity of storm the stars to the winner means I doubt he is one of the better Derby winners. Time of course may change that view.

What 8 lengths?

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

stevecaution; you’re not really leaving us are you?

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Looked as though we were both right Maurice.
    Golden Horn and Jack Hobbs are both better than the average Derby winner and second. Me right.
    Most of the rest are poorer than average. You right.

An honourable draw, then, Gt?

I’ll settle for that :yes:

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

By the way, wasn’t William Haggas brilliant after the race?

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 651 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.