The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Instructor in the dole drums

Home Forums Horse Racing Instructor in the dole drums

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Instructor is certainly hitting it off at his new stables.

His performances have been dismal to say the leastafter moving from R Fahey to C Mulhall.

Not only last today, but beaten a distance.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Instructor ran appallingly toward the end of 2007 for Richard Fahey, had seven months off before running appallingly for Mr Mulhall (when asked to race three times in relatively quick succession) and has run appallingly at 100/1 after over a year off for the same base-level trainer.

Not exactly worthwhile news.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Why can’t I get the image of unemployed percussionists out of my head? Or more obscurely, people bashing tins of fruit perhaps?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5629

very good :lol:

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Equitrak

"Instructor ran appallingly toward the end of 2007 for Richard Fahey, had seven months off before running"

I would not say appallingly. Two of his 07 races he finished nearer last than first but in the other the other five races he finished nearer first than last.

" Not exactly worthwhile news"

Maybe not for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What is significant about a poor horse running poorly, following a series of poor runs separated only by substantial periods of inactivity and a change of stable? Was the move away from Richard Fahey supposed to bring about a drastic improvement in form (ignoring the fact that Mr Mulhall isn’t known for his varied string of talented horses)?

I’m beginning to wonder why you even have an interest in racing.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

What is significant about a poor horse running poorly, following a series of poor runs separated only by substantial periods of inactivity and a change of stable? Was the move away from Richard Fahey supposed to bring about a drastic improvement in form (ignoring the fact that Mr Mulhall isn’t known for his varied string of talented horses)?

I’m beginning to wonder why you even have an interest in racing.

All Tom’s posts will come together like a jigsaw in time to reveal his genius. Either that or he’s mental. It’s each of two right now…….

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Rory are you not breaking the house rules?

What qualifications do you have for assessing someone’s state of mind?

Not all of us go study the top equine stars and top races. We are happier keeping our eye on what goes on a little further down the scale.

You and Eq are no different from glory hunting football fans who can support nothing but Man U, Chelsea, Rangers, Celtic.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Dearie me………

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

You and Eq are no different from glory hunting football fans who can support nothing but Man U, Chelsea, Rangers, Celtic.

I have just thought of a new category for the end of year TRF Awards

Most puerile posting

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t quite understand how glory hunting comes in to the equation, Tom, but if I were I’d be a suitably poor at it given that I support Liverpool.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

On the bright side, at least Tom gives us a laugh with these totally randon and off teh cuff threads and comments. Thankfully Horse Racing isn’t like footy…in fact glory hunting is a huge benefit in racing! You want to back the winners! You dont want to be a martyr to the losers like 99% of footy fans who follow there team!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

douginho

Being pendantic, if we say that an average division over all football leagues consists of 20 teams and two of those get promoted each season then in fact only 90% of football fans follow losers, unless some of the others pick up the odd cup or two!

Indeed you could consider those who ‘near miss’ as winners more often than not, hence it might be reasonable to say that only 75% of fans follow losers.

Indeed seeing as more fans congregate around the successful clubs, it could be said that even less follow losers….., but then I’m in danger of getting off the topic… Back to you, Tom!

Rob

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

If you don’t like a thread then why bother to reply to it?

I see a few on here think they are an elite little group who criticize others but seldom start a thread themselves.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

douginho

Being pendantic, if we say that an average division over all football leagues consists of 20 teams and two of those get promoted each season then in fact only 90% of football fans follow losers, unless some of the others pick up the odd cup or two!

Indeed you could consider those who ‘near miss’ as winners more often than not, hence it might be reasonable to say that only 75% of fans follow losers.

Indeed seeing as more fans congregate around the successful clubs, it could be said that even less follow losers….., but then I’m in danger of getting off the topic… Back to you, Tom!

Rob

I am chuckling to myself lol. You have clearly over thought my comment! But glad someone was listening!

And Tom, you will notice I was actually applauding you for starting threads.

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Tom wrote:

‘I see a few on here think they are an elite little group who criticize others but seldom start a thread themselves’

I don’t know about that but I wonder if this group, like most internet forums, will turn out to have an alienating faction of posters with an ungovernable taste for pedantry. I am a journalist by trade and, for a couple of years, ended up in racing journalism while working as a freelance. What was previously a fairly minor interest became a major one and I wanted to learn as much as I could about racing. One of the interesting things I found among racing journos – and to be fair it is a disease of the trade – is the amount of ego and pedantry involved. Perhaps that’s the same here, I haven’t been on her long enough to make the judgement. I start threads out of genuine desire to know what other racing fans think: eg. Is form study worth it? My biggest wins – in the thousands – came not from entirely random picking, but random picking within a framework of generally fancied horses and bookie’s odds. That has always paid better for me than form study, which is time consuming and laborious. Though I find form study pays off much better for me in jump racing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.